What year will Finals not be in Indy?

The problem with Lucas Oil Stadium is a little more complex than just opening up the roof IMO. A large number of surfaces, including plate glass windows on the luxury boxes, concrete walls within the stadium seating bowl AND the steel roof structure provide ample opportunity for sound to bounce around. This obviously ultimately diminishes our highly personal experience for a number of us sitting in different locations throughout the stadium. This equates to some good seats and others not so good IMO. Hence one reason why I am going to the TOC finals instead this year.

Liahona you hit it out of the park with your comment. The problem with having DCI in some of the newer NFL stadiums is how they are so broken up. So many glassed in luxury boxes taking up what could be the best seats in the house for viewing our activity. I have previously suggested using university stadiums but got a lot of red marks for suggesting this. Madison is a great example of how the older facilities are better for Drum Corps. They are cheaper for DCI to rent..... bigger.... better good views and less acoustically bad angles caused by the boxes themselves. Madison as well as Austin, Baton Rouge, Columbus are just a few that come to mind. The complaint about a lack of a hotels in these areas is not as big of an issue anymore because of the hotel building boom centered around big university towns.

I hope in future considerations for finals locations DCI will take some of this into account.

• Like 1

Somewhere out west!! Pasadena was great I thought in 2007.

Small stadium mind you i guess with the lower attendance it doesnt matter

I don't think anyone has mentioned the future Santa Clara Stadium in California, future home of the 49ers. It is supposed to open in 2014. I heard that some DCI drum corps are from that part of the country, but I forget which ones. :biggrin:

What do you think?

2012-02-27_Niners_Stadium.jpg

This place is within a stone's throw from SCV Hall.

1. An outdoor stadium (Major plus!!!)

2. Plenty of things to do outside DCI (Santa Cruz, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Great America, etc...)

3. School or places to stay should be abundant

4. Different airport options (SF, SJ, Oakland)

5. Captures new fan base west of the Mississippi (N Cal, S Cal, Oregon, WA, etc...)

Sounds like a winner to me.

Edited by amadorj

My dad just asked if I knew when DCI was leaving, and I said no, and he said 'not soon enough...the sound sucks"

:tongue:

This place is within a stone's throw from SCV Hall.

1. An outdoor stadium (Major plus!!!)

2. Plenty of things to do outside DCI (Santa Cruz, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Great America, etc...)

3. School or places to stay should be abundant

4. Different airport options (SF, SJ, Oakland)

5. Captures new fan base west of the Mississippi (N Cal, S Cal, Oregon, WA, etc...)

Sounds like a winner to me.

Let's wait and see what kind of costs are involved before we salivate too much. NFL stadiums are notoriously pricey. Ask anyone who attended the G7 show at the Met Life Stadium last year.