Sound of the South 2012

FYI ...The caption announcements that were read are built into the tabulation program and those are the captions that it spits out... Fran did not take the break down and decifer it!

Just to be clear, Vic, I wasn't complaining :)

I was just saying that "usually the corps that is announced as winning the most captions is the corps that wins the show."

At the show, CV was only announced as winning one caption (Visual), while Fusion was announced with 3 and Gold with 2.

So I left curious to see how the math worked out to make this happen.

Once I looked at the recaps today, I can see that, in reality, all three corps won or tied three captions apiece. This is more consistent with the placements and score differentials.

And, despite the 3rd place, it bodes well for Gold, I think, since it shows that their strengths (guard, drums, and visual) are good enough to beat or tie two Open class corps. (Fusion is definitely Open for 2012, right?)

• Like 1

Jim,

I Didn't think you were. I was just answering why only certain captions were announced. ! However I will say that during awards when Fusion was announced with those 3 caption wins, I thought an upset was in the cards.... ! Not a Problem .. I agree with you on Gold.. if they can get the brass line up to the percussion and guard levels they will be dangerous!

Yes Fusion is Open this year and I think it was the right move for them. and the change in style and overall programming as well as probably the strongest percussion section they have had in quite a few years will move CV up the Finalist ladder! Shenandoah can be a strong A Class corps once they fill out and the members get comfortable with the show. Their show is different than in past years and adjusting to a new design team, but I know they will make it work...

Also, to answer another question from someone.... I do remember a time when a Corps was announced as winning only "one" caption (but winning a few subcaptions) and won the DCA Championships!

Just to be clear, Vic, I wasn't complaining :)

I was just saying that "usually the corps that is announced as winning the most captions is the corps that wins the show."

At the show, CV was only announced as winning one caption (Visual), while Fusion was announced with 3 and Gold with 2.

So I left curious to see how the math worked out to make this happen.

Once I looked at the recaps today, I can see that, in reality, all three corps won or tied three captions apiece. This is more consistent with the placements and score differentials.

And, despite the 3rd place, it bodes well for Gold, I think, since it shows that their strengths (guard, drums, and visual) are good enough to beat or tie two Open class corps. (Fusion is definitely Open for 2012, right?)

Edited by DCASouth
  • Like 1

Great show, great facilities, there was weather..., Great crowd.Looking forward to next year!

• Like 1

Jim,

I Didn't think you were. I was just answering why only certain captions were announced. ! However I will say that during awards when Fusion was announced with those 3 caption wins, I thought an upset was in the cards.... ! Not a Problem .. I agree with you on Gold.. if they can get the brass line up to the percussion and guard levels they will be dangerous!

Yes Fusion is Open this year and I think it was the right move for them. and the change in style and overall programming as well as probably the strongest percussion section they have had in quite a few years will move CV up the Finalist ladder! Shenandoah can be a strong A Class corps once they fill out and the members get comfortable with the show. Their show is different than in past years and adjusting to a new design team, but I know they will make it work...

Also, to answer another question from someone.... I do remember a time when a Corps was announced as winning only "one" caption (but winning a few subcaptions) and won the DCA Championships!

A design team which includes Robert W Smith as brass arranger!

• Like 1

Were the reasons for the name change announced? Just curious.

This is my first year in CV so don't take this as gospel but, it was explained to me that the reason for the name change was to better represent the younger age group that many DCA corps are beginning to appeal to. With the term "Vets" in the name it was thought that this might lead some to believe that you had to be a corps...veteran to participate. This went against the recruiting model that the corps was striving for (and I might say very much succeed at). The corps made a concerted effort to recruit the younger high school age student that might use CV as an introduction to the activity that is more time and finance friendly than a DCI experience. The corps put together a fantastic video that they showed during the Georgia Music Educators Association convention this year that was tremendously successful. You can check it out on you tube by searching Atlanta CV GMEA Production. Sorry, I am a technological midget...don't know how to attach the link directly!

Anyhow, that is the reason for the name change as it was explained to me. Hope that clears it up some.

Dan

Edited by Dan Detweiler
  • Like 1

This is my first year in CV so don't take this as gospel but, it was explained to me that the reason for the name change was to better represent the younger age group that many DCA corps are beginning to appeal to. With the term "Vets" in the name it was thought that this might lead some to believe that you had to be a corps...veteran to participate. This went against the recruiting model that the corps was striving for (and I might say very much succeed at). The corps made a concerted effort to recruit the younger high school age student that might use CV as an introduction to the activity that is more time and finance friendly than a DCI experience. The corps put together a fantastic video that they showed during the Georgia Music Educators Association convention this year that was tremendously successful. You can check it out on you tube by searching Atlanta CV GMEA Production. Sorry, I am a technological midget...don't know how to attach the link directly!

Anyhow, that is the reason for the name change as it was explained to me. Hope that clears it up some.

Dan

Here you go!

Dan

Correct Dan, not that it really mattered that much because we almost always called ourselves CV when refering to ourselves in the past. While I am a traditionalist and hate electronics, Bb's, the pit, woodwinds, the dutch, spell check, electricity and just about everything else , I did like the name change b/c I cannot tell you how many times I had to explain to people we were neither a car club nor did you need to march a junior corps to join. On a sidbar, Marvin is in the 'CorpsVets' and is also in a Corvettes Club so that had to be double fun for him! lol. The main thing that sucks is now I have to get a new tattoo of the new logo, my old one was $300 and hurt like hell! lol. Additionally, were changing the name again next year to the 'Corpes-Vetts Band, Military!!!' ;-p (That's how we were announced at our first parade this year roflmao!)

Additionally, were changing the name again next year to the 'Corpes-Vetts Band, Military!!!' ;-p (That's how we were announced at our first parade this year roflmao!)

That's better than a few years ago when we were announced as the New Millenium Band.

FYI ...The caption announcements that were read are built into the tabulation program and those are the captions that it spits out... Fran did not take the break down and decifer it!

Correct.

And since math is not my strong suit, I am pretty much incapable of doing so. :tongue: