Where are the Blue Devils?

Because what BD's been doing is a camp, not a clinic. If you follow BD on twitter or Facebook, you'll see them posting pictures and videos from the Sytem Blue camp over the last few days. Including tonight/today.

What's the big difference???

As we learned this past winter, camps (even imaginary ones) have free parking. (Sorry, I couldn't resist that.) :shutup:

• Like 1

Early season though? I think that was the point he was trying to make. How often has BD started out the season east of the Rockies? '05? Was that it?

Unless the World Championships are in California, early season is the only time most California fans can see and support their home state corps, no matter how many contests each corps performs in.

Unless the World Championships are in California, early season is the only time most California fans can see and support their home state corps, no matter how many contests each corps performs in.

I understand that (California born and raised), and having corps like Phantom, Cadets, and BAC come out for early season shows are great. but that doesn't really answer the question. He asked how many times the Blue Devils have traveled east in the early season? With BAC and Phantom coming out West this year, those fans won't get to see their own corps until the end of the season, which is a change for them.

• Like 2

1341031652[/url]' post='3160517']

I understand that (California born and raised), and having corps like Phantom, Cadets, and BAC come out for early season shows are great. but that doesn't really answer the question. He asked how many times the Blue Devils have traveled east in the early season? With BAC and Phantom coming out West this year, those fans won't get to see their own corps until the end of the season, which is a change for them.

The big difference I see here is that fans of BAC and Phantom will at least get to see their corps live later in the season, albeit a change for them. For the big West Coast corps to start back east it would take a rearranging of the western show schedule to make it possible to see them at all. Or it would take these corps traveling east and then back west all in the first week, only to turn around again to head east again. Phantom was able to come west because they could start their season close to home on the first day of the season and them pick up a few shows as they traveled west. From there they were in synch with the western corps and head back home. Actually a pretty effecient travel plan. BAC solved the travel problem by basically becoming a west coast corps for the season, having their preseason camp out here. It's a tough nut to crack. The west coast corps have to add a great deal of extra travel to start the season away from home, and traveling too far east would likely mean not making it back to the regular west coast shows. Really, unless DCI changes it's regionals schedule dramatically, the chances of the west coast corps starting in the East or Midwest or more east coast corps visiting CA is a pretty slim possibility.

NASCAR teams are rewarded with POINTS for participation towards the championship. I

NASCAR doesn't award any points for paticipation. Drivers get points strictly based on their performance, where they finish and how many laps they led.

Yes, but at least the eastern fans get to see those eastern corps. If BD went out east early on, the California fans wouldn't see the corps unless it came back before heading back east. There are times that happened in the 1980s, but the season was longer than it is now.

Yes, but at least the eastern fans get to see those eastern corps. If BD went out east early on, the California fans wouldn't see the corps unless it came back before heading back east. There are times that happened in the 1980s, but the season was longer than it is now.

Makes sense. Just trying to point out the fact that they haven't traveled East that I remember, but I was born in 1990, so I missed quite a bit. What did they do in 2005? Did they do shows before going to Europe, or start there like Madison did in '88?

One other point, what about the Texas tour last year? The top 8 all went out to Texas, and then some came back through California. That system seemed to work pretty well, why not try stuff like that more often? I don't remember any of the top 8 going bankrupt because of it? Could a system like that be used more often? Getting to see the Top 8 all at once at the movies was awesome, and it was nice having the show in Akron this year as well.

• Like 1

NASCAR doesn't award any points for paticipation. Drivers get points strictly based on their performance, where they finish and how many laps they led.

Coughcough...let me interject here since I am the BIGGEST Nascar fan on DCP! (yeah....quiz me!) The 43rd place driver (e.g. "last") earns 1 point. Therefore, yeah you pretty much get at least 1 for trying. But you are correct, the better performance the better the point payout.

Makes sense. Just trying to point out the fact that they haven't traveled East that I remember, but I was born in 1990, so I missed quite a bit. What did they do in 2005? Did they do shows before going to Europe, or start there like Madison did in '88?

They had one California show on June 18, and then returned to the U.S. in Kalamazoo, Michigan on July 15. This gave them just 14 shows prior to the World Championships. And some fans are chiding them for having 24 shows prior to Indianapolis this year. (It was earlier stated they had just 23 shows, but the corps' schedule on DCI.org lists 24.)