Where are the Blue Devils?

They had one California show on June 18, and then returned to the U.S. in Kalamazoo, Michigan on July 15. This gave them just 14 shows prior to the World Championships. And some fans are chiding them for having 24 shows prior to Indianapolis this year. (It was earlier stated they had just 23 shows, but the corps' schedule on DCI.org lists 24.)

And we see how well they did in 2005 with only 14 shows. :tongue: That show was very messy at Finals, I'm honestly surprised they escaped Foxboro in 4th place. I watched that show again yesterday on DVD, and there is more visual mess in that one show than the last ten years of BD shows combined.

• Like 1

In both 2001 and 2002, BD was on the east coast in June. The California shows were pushed back into July.

In 2001, they came east and then flew back to California with the Cadets in tow.

If I recall, the Cavaliers and the Cadets consistently beat them at all of the early shows in 2002.

As we learned this past winter, camps (even imaginary ones) have free parking. (Sorry, I couldn't resist that.) :shutup:

Someone doesn't like free parking. Who doesn't like free parking?

Early season though? I think that was the point he was trying to make. How often has BD started out the season east of the Rockies? '05? Was that it?

I know in 94 they were out early.

but here's the thing...BD amd the other western corps cross the Rockies EVERY year, because DCI refuses to allow finals to be out there more often. so while not the biggest BD fan lately, I refuse to have sympathy for any eastern corps crying about going out west

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 4

Early season though? I think that was the point he was trying to make. How often has BD started out the season east of the Rockies? '05? Was that it?

Last year (TX)

• Like 1

They had one California show on June 18, and then returned to the U.S. in Kalamazoo, Michigan on July 15. This gave them just 14 shows prior to the World Championships. And some fans are chiding them for having 24 shows prior to Indianapolis this year. (It was earlier stated they had just 23 shows, but the corps' schedule on DCI.org lists 24.)

BD gets a free pass for 2005 ... they were REPRESENTING the activity in Europe :thumbup:

Not apples to apples

I make no claims that it is complete, but CorpsReps yields these stats...

1982 Number of Shows/Scored Performances Prior to DCI Championships for Top 6 corps:

37 Garfield Cadets

36 Madison Scouts

34 27th Lancers

34 Phantom Regiment

26 Santa Clara Vanguard

20 Blue Devils (Champions)

Not even close, I can rattle off 20 shows the Blue Devils were in right off the top of my head, They did about 35 shows in 1982.

Geoffrey

• Like 1

Not even close, I can rattle off 20 shows the Blue Devils were in right off the top of my head, They did about 35 shows in 1982.

Geoffrey

....and they won every single show if I remember correctly. That was an amazing corps!