5 good reason the activity is destined to end

Whoever -1 my post, can you at least explain a reason why you think it would be a bad idea?

It's done wonders for the NHL.

• Like 1

Through the start of this season - the 41st - there have been a total of 8 different corps to win a championship.

That means an average of 1 new champion every 5 seasons.

Looking at the 4 complete 10-year periods of DCI:

72-81 had 4 new champions (technically, really 3 - because someone had to win the first one).

82-91 had 2 new champions.

92-01 had 2 new champions

02-11 had none.

And this year there is a very good possibility that another (Crown) will be added to that list, which would b 9 champions in 41 seasons.

So 02-11 is the unusual case, not the norm.

If you look at the 4 top title winning corps:

Blue Devils -- 14 titles in 38 seasons as a finalist, with a 7-season gap (1987-1993) of none.

Cadets -- 10 titles in 34 seasons as a finalist, with a 5-season gap (2006-2010) of none.

Cavaliers -- 7 titles in 38 years as a finalist, with a 5-season gap (2007-2011) of none.

SCV -- 6 titles in 40 seasons as a finalist, with a 12-season gap (00-11) of none.

(The other 2 multiple-title corps - Madison and Phantom, I don't consider in this category, and SCV is arguably no longer in it competitively).

Each has a significant gap of no title, lasting at least 5 years. (I don't count the years between the first year as a finalist and first title as a 'gap').

So even the 'big 3' corps can have long runs of no titles.

All in all, this looks more competitive than you might think.

Edited by Tim Coffey
  • Like 1

Let's impose a salary cap. Seriously.

Everyone runs on the same amount of money.

I'd like to see BD or even Vanguard rack in the top staff, when any other corps could afford them too.

Why go to Vanguard, when you can go anywhere you want, for the same amount of money. Somewhere maybe you used to march? Somewhere close to your home/family/children?

Students would all start to receive the utmost knowledgeable education, thus making them better performers.

Not only staff, but in terms of equipment, trucks, buses, housing sites, food etc.

Maybe finally we could see the top 7 in the bottom 7, and the bottom 7 in the top 7.

For the record, I didn't -1 your post, but the problem here is that you're comparing nonprofit laws and setups across various states, which have their own rules and regulations. Furthermore, these are still educational organizations - why should the Blue Devils Organization, which runs far, far more than BDA, have to turn away kids, parents, volunteers, sponsors and money?

For me personally, I do appreciate the idea of a "cap," but I think it must at the core be limited to on-field product and their execution. (And maybe a complete rethink of the judging system regarding the ever-nebulous "effect.")

And for what it's worth, the LA Lakers just signed a $250 million TV deal, but can still only put 5 players on the court with 1 ball at a time. If the other team can shoot better, they'll win.

Mike

Through the start of this season - the 41st - there have been a total of 8 different corps to win a championship.

That means an average of 1 new champion every 5 seasons.

Looking at the 4 complete 10-year periods of DCI:

72-81 had 4 new champions (technically, really 3 - because someone had to win the first one).

82-91 had 2 new champions.

92-01 had 2 new champions

02-11 had none.

And this year there is a very good possibility that another (Crown) will be added to that list, which would b 9 champions in 41 seasons.

So 02-11 is the unusual case, not the norm.

If you look at the 4 top title winning corps:

Blue Devils -- 14 titles in 38 seasons as a finalist, with a 7-season gap (1987-1993) of none.

Cadets -- 10 titles in 34 seasons as a finalist, with a 5-season gap (2006-2010) of none.

Cavaliers -- 7 titles in 38 years as a finalist, with a 5-season gap (2007-2011) of none.

SCV -- 6 titles in 40 seasons as a finalist, with a 12-season gap (00-11) of none.

(The other 2 multiple-title corps - Madison and Phantom, I don't consider in this category, and SCV is arguably no longer in it competitively).

Each has a significant gap of no title, lasting at least 5 years. (I don't count the years between the first year as a finalist and first title as a 'gap').

So even the 'big 3' corps can have long runs of no titles.

All in all, this looks more competitive than you might think.

But does drum corps need to be more competitive than that? Is that the drawing line?

• Like 1

For the record, I didn't -1 your post, but the problem here is that you're comparing nonprofit laws and setups across various states, which have their own rules and regulations. Furthermore, these are still educational organizations - why should the Blue Devils Organization, which runs far, far more than BDA, have to turn away kids, parents, volunteers, sponsors and money?

For me personally, I do appreciate the idea of a "cap," but I think it must at the core be limited to on-field product and their execution. (And maybe a complete rethink of the judging system regarding the ever-nebulous "effect.")

And for what it's worth, the LA Lakers just signed a $250 million TV deal, but can still only put 5 players on the court with 1 ball at a time. If the other team can shoot better, they'll win.

Mike

Ok that is fair. And I see your point.

So how about if the salary cap then only applied show development:

-staff, designers

-props, costumes

-instruments

-anything else a corps can think of to top the competition

That being said, if we stuck on your idea about non-profits around the country..... you would run into the same problems. Some corps will afford big buses to chauffeur the staff. As a staff I'd pick to go there

If there was a 'salary cap', it would need to be a full on salary cap in terms of the organization. That way, the rich don't keep getting richer, and the poor can stop getting poorer.

Edited by Cookies

I'm afraid you're right. I believe this is a reason a lot of people lose interest. How many other activities are there where one group has 14 championships in a span of 40 years?

Found three in about 5 minutes (thanks, Google).

Boston Celtics - 16 in 30 years (56-86)

UNC women's soccer - 20 in 29 years (82-09)

Manchester United (EPL soccer) - 12 in 20 years (92-12)

Many more examples in the lower-profile college sports, especially below Div I. The comparison between DCI and sports programs is probably better suited for college/HS than professional, even though it's touted as the major leagues. Drum corps has no draft to evenly distribute talent (and it shouldn't), and neither does college athletics. Kids choose where they go and play, based on a variety of factors, just like DC.

Edited by Shamu89

Good stats, Tim! I'd also point out, though, that there has been one actual upset for the title since 1983 (30 years), when Phantom beat BD in '08 (ties don't count - the top seed still won the championship).

Mike

I've said it over the past couple years and I'll say it again. People my age (21) these days don't have as much money to go freely use as they'd sometimes like. Think about this scenario:

A 20-year-old kid enrolls as a freshman in college (his/her major is irrelevant). He/she takes 15 hours worth of classes in the fall and spring semester. Therefore, the only "free" time is in the summer. Now, there are different situations for kids paying their way into college. Some receive scholarship, some receive support from their parents, and some are working their *** off to even make it to class. Let's say this kid is pretty well involved in some form on campus (doesn't matter how). In most cases, this kid has no time at night to work (nor does anyone want to hire him/her to work for only a limited amount of hours).

All of this equals TWO-THREE months out of the year this kid actually gets a chance to make some decent money. Oh but wait, the summer is the season for Drum Corps. And oh yeah, forgot to mention the camps he/she must attend starting in November. Those cost at least $50...and he/she will attend at least two (in most cases).

Now I realize there will be exceptions, and there will be the rich kids who just have money to blow, but think about this realistically. There are tons of kids out there every single year that want to be in a drum corps and don't always get the chance. I for one, have been in those shoes ever since 2006. But my issue was (and still is) time...which I won't even begin to get started on.

I say all that to say this - other than a few exceptions, I get the vibe that corps are now being forced to accept members who #1. Have the money, THEN #2. Have the talent. There's the issue. And truth is, if there aren't that many kids in the first place that have the money to do this, no wonder corps are asking in July for someone to fill a hole.

• Like 2

Wow - in the middle of a GREAT season and THIS is what folks want to talk about??!!

So negative.

Or, given the Teal situation, timely.

• Like 8