I love Blue Devils!

I definitely wouldn't, no question.

Different strokes for different folks.

BTW, I thought it would have been really cool if they'd put on the old Blue Devils jackets with the ruffled shirts and cumberbund.

I have been hoping that BD would once again wear the classic 1976 style uniform, because the costumes that they wear today look low end & bando.

I have been hoping that BD would once again wear the classic 1976 style uniform, because the costumes that they wear today look low end & bando.

Positive thread? thumbdown.gif

Anyway, to actually be on topic, Blue Devils have an awesome show this year. First saw it on the San Antonio webcast, and they were the only corps that night that really, truly impressed me. I know the show is out there to some people, but I've listened to much crazier things than this...that's what happens when traditional music gets boring and you start looking for something different. If you think this show is weird, look up these composers, with recommended pieces in the parentheses: George Crumb (Black Angels), Kryzsztof Penderecki (Threnody For The Victims of Hiroshima, Polymorphia, Dimensions of Time and Silence), Gyorgy Ligeti (Atmospheres, Lontano, Requiem)...seriously, the stuff these guys wrote makes BD's show look like child's play in comparison...but yeah, BD's show is great, I think it should win, and also check out the music I recommended if you'd like to hear an entirely different take on what constitutes "music."

They are writing a book on the BD history and I offered some of my knowledge of the early 70's drum and bell programs to enhance the memory of Terry Shalberg (my first instructor). That guy is incredible with his memory but occasionally there are small details he forgets. I was pretty young then so my memories come from a different perspective especially since I was the first picked to head up what later became the C corps.

I hope they contact me. I've possibly got a few stories to share. I was deeply honored to contribute all the liner notes for the corps' Through the Years" CDs and DVDs.

What about 1998? Man that show is so visionary! I LOVE that music!

One of my favorites. The Tchaikovsky Romeo and Juliet and Bernstein West Side Story mash-up. I had been reading complaints about the show before I got to see it in Riverside that year. I let all those comments go in one ear and out the other because I wanted to see it, and rate it, myself. I thought it was brilliant, and it's still one of my top BD shows ever.

Garry in Vegas

• Like 1

I just love hearing strains of the 1991 OTL of "Commencement" in this years show....Its my absolute favorite OTL of all time and to hear it again, see it with this guard ...what a treat.

I love this show almost as much as I love 2010, I cant get enough, I like the humour in it the intensity and the aspect of non engagement that is potrayed....they make it look so easy, it was true in 1980 and its true now.

Geoffrey

• Like 1

The 2010 recording is so clear i love listening to it. I hope this year comes out as good. In 91 i used to ride my bike out to mars every chance i got. I was so dissappointed when Gibbs didn't hire me to cook that year.

I could really see Blue Devils pulling this off. (with horns rather than vocals of course)

What I'd really like to see them do is Knots but y'know...