Oregon Crusaders at World Prelims

Magic 2002: was a DIV I corps, plain and simple. They had to play by the rules, which MADE them compete in DIV II.

This.

Unique situation. Unique accomplishment. When they were selling the 2002 season to MOSTLY new people, that was a big challenge.

It isnt like the age outs from 2000 and 2001 "magically" appeared to march Magic; they were long gone (half the corps)

Or that the OTHER half of the corps that didnt stick around to do parades in MicroMagic didnt make new allegiances at their "new" corps that they marched with in 2001.

Magic literally started 2002 with THREE members (maybe FOUR)...a blank sheet of paper and a whole lot of question marks. Credit for all they did is warranted all around.

You could make the argument that 64 horns, 128 kids and that super staff and show makes Oregon Crusaders a "division 1 corps, plain and simple"... but that is Monday Morning Quarterbacking.

I guess if its "pretty good" its a feel good story about the "little engine that could", but if its too good then it gets diluted in conversation.

Magic 2002. Unique situation. Unique accomplishment. DCI World Champions. DCI Finalist.

Magic 2002: was a DIV I corps, plain and simple. They had to play by the rules, which MADE them compete in DIV II.

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 1

Unique situation. Unique accomplishment. When they were selling the 2002 season to MOSTLY new people, that was a big challenge.

It isnt like the age outs from 2000 and 2001 "magically" appeared to march Magic; they were long gone (half the corps)

Or that the OTHER half of the corps that didnt stick around to do parades in MicroMagic didnt make new allegiances at their "new" corps that they marched with in 2001.

Magic literally started 2002 with THREE members (maybe FOUR)...a blank sheet of paper and a whole lot of question marks. Credit for all they did is warranted all around.

You could make the argument that 64 horns, 128 kids and that super staff and show makes Oregon Crusaders a "division 1 corps, plain and simple"... but that is Monday Morning Quarterbacking.

I guess if its "pretty good" its a feel good story about the "little engine that could", but if its too good then it gets diluted in conversation.

Magic 2002. Unique situation. Unique accomplishment. DCI World Champions. DCI Finalist.

no, the difference is that the 2002 Magic wrote their show for the Div I sheets and in doing so ended up maxing out the Div II sheets because they only cared about Div I championships. They competed in Div II because DCI told them they had to.

I'm assuming since Oregon Crusaders choose to be in Open Class then they probably wrote their show for the Open Class sheets which means when they hit the World Class sheets on thursday their scores will drop accordingly due to the differences in the acheivment levels of the two sheets.

Yes! Magic was the only corps to ever march all SIX days of Finals week. Back then they had 3 days in Division 2/3 and 3 days in Div 1 Quarters, Semis, Finals... six days straight in fact, with no break.

And 99.05 in Div 2 finals.

That my friend, is a record that will likely never be touched.

Actually I believe the 1984 Florida Wave were the first corps to march all 6 days at World Championships (they did exhibition at Finals since they were the Class A Champions)

Magic is the first corps to compete on all 6 days.

It's also not just a matter of the linear, it's that Open Class shows are written for a completely different set of sheets. OC sheets have different box criteria. Things that work in World would be an absolute disaster in Open. Things done for huge credit in Open won't impact the sheets at all in World.

So, yea, it's not just number tolerance.

I've never watched a lot of Open Class, although I like Oregon's show this year a lot. Could you give some examples of what you're talking about - places where the two sheets reward different things (rather than World Class just being calibrated for a higher performance level)?

How do you know this?

For either situation?

OC is a mirror of World Class material...almost note for note in some cases. And not just the musical score, but the visual score. They obviously had to write it for 64 horns worth of field coverage....and included all the physical enhancements and simultaneous responsibilities.

ITS A GREAT SHOW...and it just might hold up on Thursday against the big dogs.

Magic's was a GREAT SHOW. And it DID hold up against the big dogs.

As a side note: if Magic "only cared about Division 1 Championships", then why did they bother ordering rings? (they are pretty cool by the way...they say "World Champion" right on them :)

Speculation is one thing. The reality of the situation is another.

It's 88 degrees today in Orlando. I dont know that because I read it in the paper...or someone told me so; I know because I can walk outside.

no, the difference is that the 2002 Magic wrote their show for the Div I sheets and in doing so ended up maxing out the Div II sheets because they only cared about Div I championships. They competed in Div II because DCI told them they had to.

I'm assuming since Oregon Crusaders choose to be in Open Class then they probably wrote their show for the Open Class sheets which means when they hit the World Class sheets on thursday their scores will drop accordingly due to the differences in the acheivment levels of the two sheets.

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 1

I think Ventures pulled this trick, too.

Actually I believe the 1984 Florida Wave were the first corps to march all 6 days at World Championships (they did exhibition at Finals since they were the Class A Champions)

Magic is the first corps to compete on all 6 days.

I think Ventures pulled this trick, too.

no Florida Wave was first and Magic was first to compete all days. No one else did it.

Les Etoiles 96...5 shows (5 for 5...no Wednesday show that year :)

BDB 11...4 for 4...which is not 5 for 5 due to rain, nor 6 for 6...nor "competing all days"

and i am wasting time at work on this just for the sake of conversation....

Back to the OP......Oregon just might crack the top 15...even if their show was written for DII :)

no Florida Wave was first and Magic was first to compete all days. No one else did it.

Edited by wishbonecav