An Open Letter to JulesBry and to those

Well - you make a sweeping statement as if there is some concerted effort to move DCI in some new direction, and offer no citation or source. I was interested in where that info came from. If it's secret than just say so - but otherwise it might as well be the dream you had last night.

Grandpa, you need to spend less time on DCP and more time talking to the people who actually participate in this activity. And I'm not talking about marching members.

Again, this thread is not about BD's show.

But the post I was responding to did. Blame Apathy for bringing them up. Not me.

You sold your stocks in 2008, didn't you?

:w00t:

Haha, no. But i owned no stocks then (as i was just getting out of college and into my first job at the time). I bought in in early 09 though, and made a decent chunk of change on some good buy-ins.

But the stock market has a history where you can say 'buy into the lows'. Where does DCI have that history?

Grandpa, you need to spend less time on DCP and more time talking to the people who actually participate in this activity. And I'm not talking about marching members.

Then since you are so high above me in understanding this activity - please - enlighten stupid little old me. What did you base your statement on?

It's a pretty simple question.....

• Like 1

Again, this thread is not about BD's show.

Can you tell us what it *is* about? DCI isn't quite as important to the US economy as the stock market, so while it's generally a good bet that the stock market will recover, I don't think that analogy extends to self-funded summer competitive arts leagues.

• Like 2

Don't be delusional about "record" numbers, there are record numbers at certain show sites, because there are fewer shows to attend and an increase in major regional sites with major corps in attendence. I don't really care at the end of the day who won, cause 10 years from now, you will remember the best shows, wherever they placed. DCI may still be around...but, this is going to end up with only 6-8 corps regionally and that's it. I actually enjoyed BD's show, but feel that Crown wasn't rewarded for their show production and demand, which really was, simply a tougher show top to bottom, and they paid for it. Rough that Beddis left, but that is probably the ultimate sticking point for Crown this year. Percussion, couldn't push them over the top, but was their achilles heel. Devs aren't the death of Drum Corps, personally, the biggest problem was getting away from their target audience to increase the marketability...just like Pepsi "Clear" or the Ferrari Dino. Interesting concepts, but ultimately bad idea!

• Like 4

How many times did Cavies and Phantom finish top 3 and even 2nd before they won their first rings? Did DCI end in those days? Star beat out the sentimental favorite Cavaliers in '91 and people were pissing and moaning. Heck just about everyone thought Phantom was robbed in '89 with SCV was "gifted" a title.

A little bit of controversy is good for the activity and happens in every era. It's inherently a subjective activity and different styles appeal to different people. These differences help to create a healthy dialogue which helps to push the activity forward.

If your "favorite" does not win why come whinning about it to an Internet forum. Look at the #### recap and try and understand why the corps placed the way they did in context of what you saw. It's perfectly rationale for a superior show with one area of performance weakness...to be rated lower than a very good design with absolutely no areas of weakness in performance.

Again I'm probably making too much sense for DCP...

• Like 1

Then since you are so high above me in understanding this activity - please - enlighten stupid little old me. What did you base your statement on?

It's a pretty simple question.....

Oh stop. Don't be so sensitive. I don't suggest my level of understanding is greate than yours and I'm sorry if you feel insulted.

The answer is pretty simple, too. Just watch if you want, or go start talking to the people who have the biggest vested interest. Either way, you'll hear what you want to know.

I'll bet you'll like what you hear about the future direction of the activity and the determination exhibitied to see it succeed and thrive.

I haven't been this optimistic in a long, long time.

• Like 1

Can you tell us what it *is* about? DCI isn't quite as important to the US economy as the stock market, so while it's generally a good bet that the stock market will recover, I don't think that analogy extends to self-funded summer competitive arts leagues.

Re-read my first post. That's what it's about.

Those who are jumping off the ship don't realize that the pumps have been restored and are running.

Don't jump.