Attendance at Finals

The economy isn't really much worse now than it was the last 4 years, is it?

Could just as easily be 'dont spend a week someplace since i dont want to use vacation time on a city ive been to multiple times (that isnt much of a tourist attraction in the first place), so go only to finals'.

I buy that as well :)

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=777ac5ef-235a-4f86-896d-70392b372660

Record numbers, almost 18,000 PAID at Finals, etc.

The sky is not falling, folks.

Record numbers??? Huh??? Finals attendance in 1981 was 36K. 31 years later attendance is half that. DCI has done a great job destroying the activity & attendance. Negative growth is a bad thing. People are tired of Indy. When finals attendance is 15K in 1 or 2 years, maybe then DCI will wake up. I just hope they wake up before its too late.

• Like 1

Record numbers??? Huh??? Finals attendance in 1981 was 36K. 31 years later attendance is half that. DCI has done a great job destroying the activity & attendance. Negative growth is a bad thing. People are tired of Indy. When finals attendance is 15K in 1 or 2 years, maybe then DCI will wake up. I just hope they wake up before its too late.

I'd be the first to say I don't like all the recent "innovations" in drum corps. But I think citing 36K isn't an entirely fair comparison:

First, there were a lot more corps 30 years ago. That means a lot more wristbands. At the risk of reviving that debate, I'm not sure whether the 36K number includes that.

Next, tickets (even adjusted for inflation) were much cheaper. Ditto gas.

Finally, there are alternate ways of viewing today. I could spend $1000+ among air, hotel, tickets, food, etc. and travel to Indy, or I could spend $18 for a Thursday night movie ticket and $65 for a season FanNetwork pass to view semis for free. 40K in the theatres for quarters, who knows how many watching semis at home...the sky isn't necessarily falling.

• Like 1

Law of averages would be my guess. An activity that generally takes place inside hosts a week-long World Championship, and over 40 years you would think statistically one or two of those would involve heavy rain.

Also, there have been rain issues Finals week. In Orlando 96-98 there were plenty of corps who were delayed because of bad weather (in Semis and Quarter). In 93 there was rain Finals night, albeit not enough to cancel/postpone the show. And one year (94 maybe?) Semis or Quarters were disrupted and many corps at the end just did stand stills.

And those are just years in the short time since I was involved in the activity that we've had substantial weather Finals week.

One thing is for sure: if finals were held in the same city/area, w/out LOS's roof 2011 Finals would've definitely been canceled.

yes, but the roof has become a convenient excuse for a place where you're guaranteed to have weather issues in August. I mean hell, go to Orlando and you may get less rain and nast storms than Indy