DCA Annapolis Predictions

TOTALLY enjoying participating in this thread.

What a DIFFERENCE from the DCI forum!

the opinions are STRONG (without a doubt!) and mince few words, yet there isnt the "oh, yeah? I disagree so you are wrong and you suck!" thing going on.

I guess when the audience is primarily over 25, there is a difference in the way things are discussed.

If its good...we say so; if it has "opportunities to improve", we say so. there seems to be a healthy respect for each other here.

Thank u for that.

Reading has the best brassline they've had since 2009, and it rivals that one, IMO. They've rediscovered that rich low brass sound that's been missing the last few years as well. So, there's pretty darned good reason why MBI's brass may not repeat. I wouldn't call a repeat likely by any stretch. At best, its a toss up.

Looking at recaps of the last few years, MBI has won horns in 2010 and 2011. Whats to say they dont have their best hornline this year? Their Drumline tied with Bucs for high percussion in 2010 and were .1 from Bucs last year. Whats to say they dont have their best percussion this year?

Now, I have not seen MBI this year other than videos so I cant say anything but whens the last time you saw them? Bridgeport, maybe? How can you say that bolded statement when you have not seen them.

I usually respect what you have to say but your bias has really showed lately.

Edited by skeptic

Okay, forget waiting... here we go!

OPEN CLASS

1. Buccaneers

2. Minnesota Brass

3. Caballeros

4. Hurricanes

5. Kidsgrove Scouts

6. Empire Statesmen

7. Cadets2

8. Atlanta CV

9. Fusion Core

10. Renegades

----------------

11. Kilties

12. Tampa Bay Thunder

13. Bushwhackers

CLASS A

1. Govenaires

2. Carolina Gold

3. Windsor Regiment

4. White Sabers

--------------

5. Cincinnati Tradition

6. Sunrisers

7. Shenandoah Sound

8. Excelsior

Id like to add that it is going to be very close in Class A for 1-2!

I just saw C.V. last weekend and they were anything BUT boring! Clean show, beautiful colorguard and the best drumline they have had in a long time. Hornline has the chops to "rattle the stands" when required!

they are annually stuck in the 8-10 spots (guess history will do that to you), but I think they could be the shocker this year.

Looking at recaps of the last few years, MBI has won horns in 2010 and 2011. Whats to say they dont have their best hornline this year? Their Drumline tied with Bucs for high percussion in 2010 and were .1 from Bucs last year. Whats to say they dont have their best percussion this year?

Now, I have not seen MBI this year other than videos so I cant say anything but whens the last time you saw them? Bridgeport, maybe? How can you say that bolded statement when you have not seen them.

No bias at all. I really do think it's a toss up. Both corps have outstanding brass lines, but to say one is an easy repeat is crazy. MBI earned the trophy in 10 and 11, just as Bucs earned theirs in 09. I saw MBI in Bridgeport, and have seen them online. They rock. But to think they will have an easy time is not at all the case.

So much for my comment above.

A "bias" is different than taking information at face value and drawing a reasonable conclusion. A "bias" is taking information and, regardless of its value, reaching an unreasonable conclusion. Labeling someone "biased" is a dismissal of their thoughts. And its pretty rude.

Bridgeport sure offered some insight on content, if not performance. Not much has changed in placements, etc and the keen drum corps eye could certainly draw "reasonable conclusions" from Bridgeport. Especially eyes with many years' dca experience who have seen shows and seasons develop. Vince Bruni used to say "you cant polish a bomb"...and understood pretty quickly what a bomb looked like...usually in June :)

Defeating another's opinion with rhetorical questions is that passive-aggressive thing that goes on too often on the dci forums. Trying to prove someone's opinion "wrong" as the first order of business is a great way to end conversation. Just ask my ex-wife.

Offer new thoughts, be bold, be frank. That's what makes it fun.

I might not "agree", for example, with Fred's opinion across the board...but i sure respect his courage in offering it (wow, Fred!), and respect him enough as a member of this community not to try to defeat him or question his credentials as if he had no business sharing his thoughts in the first place.

If a conversation has a winner and a loser, then someone goes home with their nose bent and it isnt the best basis for the next conversation. Hard to develop friendships that way.

Debate isnt about "winning"; leave that up to the corps. They'll let us know, at the end, who was "right".

Think happy thoughts.

whens the last time you saw them? Bridgeport, maybe? How can you say that bolded statement when you have not seen them.

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 1

So much for my comment above.

A "bias" is different than taking information at face value and drawing a reasonable conclusion. A "bias" is taking information and, regardless of its value, reaching an unreasonable conclusion. Labeling someone "biased" is a dismissal of their thoughts. And its pretty rude.

Bridgeport sure offered some insight on content, if not performance. Not much has changed in placements, etc and the keen drum corps eye could certainly draw "reasonable conclusions" from Bridgeport. Especially eyes with many years' dca experience who have seen shows and seasons develop. Vince Bruni used to say "you cant polish a bomb"...and understood pretty quickly what a bomb looked like...usually in June :)

Defeating another's opinion with rhetorical questions is that passive-aggressive thing that goes on too often on the dci forums. Trying to prove someone's opinion "wrong" as the first order of business is a great way to end conversation. Just ask my ex-wife.

Offer new thoughts, be bold, be frank. That's what makes it fun.

I might not "agree", for example, with Fred's opinion across the board...but i sure respect his courage in offering it (wow, Fred!), and respect him enough as a member of this community not to try to defeat him or question his credentials as if he had no business sharing his thoughts in the first place.

If a conversation has a winner and a loser, then someone goes home with their nose bent and it isnt the best basis for the next conversation. Hard to develop friendships that way.

Debate isnt about "winning"; leave that up to the corps. They'll let us know, at the end, who was "right".

Think happy thoughts.

The problem with much of the debate on here is many who chime in with polls, predictions and evaluations have yet to step foot in a stadium. And its those people who start the flaming insults and arguing. Don't get too caught up in the debate. You will see soon who those people are. Wait until the next video and recap becomes available. :-P

You mean to tell me that you can't tell from watching videos???

Hmmmmm....I bet you I know someone who can!! LOL

(Ok....sarcasm was on, then off...then on again....then...oh...nevermind....I can't tell either!!!)

• Like 2