Ws There or Wasn't There?

ok, simple question from a "just a fan" who never marched and isn't a musician - what's a tear?

Tempo phasing, when, for example the Hornline is rushing and no longer together with the Drum Line.

I heard there was a tear in Bucs show. This was through DCP so any truth to it and if so...a 99 for a score? How does that happen?

I was in the upper deck on about the 47 yd. line and I did not notice a "tear." They split the various voices so far apart in the opener it does put them in jeopardy of tearing, but they didn't and that is one of the reasons they achieve the scores they do. Regarding the "99.0"... In my opinion, if Minnesota was worth a 98 (and I think they were), then the Bucs performance was worth at least 99. They were significantly better than MBI and that is no way meant to denigrate MBI's performance; their hornline was incredible!

Personally, I thought that this was the best Bucs Championship performance ever so I have no problem with their score...and they didn't tear!!!

• Like 1

Thanks Jim! I think it was Kevin G who made mention of it.

I was in the upper deck on about the 47 yd. line and I did not notice a "tear." They split the various voices so far apart in the opener it does put them in jeopardy of tearing, but they didn't and that is one of the reasons they achieve the scores they do. Regarding the "99.0"... In my opinion, if Minnesota was worth a 98 (and I think they were), then the Bucs performance was worth at least 99. They were significantly better than MBI and that is no way meant to denigrate MBI's performance; their hornline was incredible!

Personally, I thought that this was the best Bucs Championship performance ever so I have no problem with their score...and they didn't tear!!!

Thanks Jim! I think it was Kevin G who made mention of it.

In 2001, with the Brigadiers, we split the percussion and brass 50 yds apart at the end of MacArthur Park and in certain stadiums the acoustics made the crowd think that each of the sections were playing different tempi but when you watch the feet, the guard spins and the ultimate resolve of the production, you see that there was no tear. But as you know, the sound can arrive ahead or behind depending on where it's coming from and where you are in the audience. At finals, I was dead center in the crowd and each section of the Bucs arrived to the GE box exactly on time! And that is so difficult to achieve that it deserves a significant reward (score).

I needed my "guess who" badge (see thread on historical dca page) as I was flying incognito... :rolleyes:

maybe something similar to our "whoville" badges would be appropriate for regular dcp posters?

I recognized what was left of you

Keith...

I was with my brother Jim in the top section near the judges. The only tear in Readings show I noticed were the numerous times they "tore" my face off in the upper deck with the power of their brass line and ensemble.

I will not say this lightly...the Reading Bucs 2012 were "possibly" the best DCA corps I have ever witnessed live.

DA

• Like 3

The drill design was the issue with the opener. The distance between brass and the percussion was too great. We studied this time lag issue in my drill designing classes in college.When you have that type of distance the speed of sound from the various parts of the field actually becomes an issue. Add a little echo and you have a receipe for disaster. In practice the players unknowingly compensate for this and learn how much to anticapate (fractions of a second) their playing. How many times have your heard a director say "you are late again tubas". The tubas weren't late. the arrival of the sound was.

Scott Smith