DCA Observations from a DCI Fan.

Just to clarify I don't view the lack of young fans as a posiitve, that was just an observation. Believe it or not there are people inside the activity that do not know of DCA's exisitance. Two years ago at the Salem DCI show I sat beside a Madison Scout alumni who was watching his son in the Madison Scouts; he had never even heard about the DCA corps. If people within the activity do not know about DCA, what does that say about the average band student or band director? The bottom line is they don't attend because they don't know about it. Maybe there should have been group package offereings sent out to the local/regional high schoool and college bands in the Maryland/Virginia/DC area. The upper decks should be open because the demand for tickets should be that large. The corps in the DCA are too good to be kept a secret and to perform in front of a crowd as small as it was.

Scott Smith

Scott, I marched junior from 1970 to 81 and in that time I hated senior corps! I hated them because in 1973 several of our corps older members were swayed to join a senior corps. I, as a 13 going on 14 year old became a soloist and alot of pressure was put on me to be a leader. I never liked senior corps until 1990 when I was asked to join with 2 senior corps at an indoor show. I chose Rochester Crusader! I learned that DCA corps were pretty cool and you learned just as much. How could you not learn with Corky and Beth Fabrizio as your brass instructors? I had taught Patriots prior to that and was friends with Tom Peashey who was also the corps director. I fell in love with DCA, what else can I say? I still love the men and women of all the DCA corps!!!

This was my first DCA show in probably a dozen years. I last went to championships when they were held in Allentown. Back then, I wasn't impressed; there were perhaps 4 shows that I thought were performed well. Like OP, I've gone to a lot of DCI shows over the years and, though I don't necessarily love the shows, the performances were of a much better calibre.

For no reason than to have something to do, a friend and I decided to take a drive to Annapolis this weekend. I was shocked. I'd expected that I'd again see maybe 4-5 decent performances. Instead, virtually all the corps were both entertaining and much better technically than I remembered. I was also surprised at the median age being so much younger than I recalled (admittedly, I'm a lot older so that could be part of it, but there seemed to be many fewer 40+ members in the corps than before.)

It's difficult to describe to non-DC friends but it's different enough from a DCI show as to be beyond fair comparison. That's not meant as a good or a bad thing; I enjoy both. But I'll agree with OP that this is a well kept secret. I bought my tix a month or so ago and was sitting on the 50 (a bit low, but still very good seats...) I'm already looking forward to going back next year.

Edited by Phillygwm

6. I agree that DCA corps are not afraid to play loud. Heck, some of them would even be confused by that statement. "Why would anyone be AFRAID to play loud?!? :blink:" However, I don't agree that DCI corps don't also have many moments when they play loud. Really loud. And in a some cases REALLY, REALLY REALLY LOUD!!! To quote a well known DCI brass guru, "We're going to play this part really loud. People seem to like Really Loud."

Yes, but a few DCA corps achieve another dynamic level that you never hear in DCI these days. A dynamic level that leaves me gasping for breath, thinking "how the hell is that even possible?".

As a brass player, I enjoy both DCI and DCA corps. That said, there is nothing in DCI right now that is so technically demanding and physically impressive that I could not imagine playing it myself. Several DCA hornlines, however, are at a level physically where I just cannot imagine making the same contribution as the average line player must be to create such a sound. And that is what thrills me the most at shows.

Yes, but a few DCA corps achieve another dynamic level that you never hear in DCI these days. A dynamic level that leaves me gasping for breath, thinking "how the hell is that even possible?".

As a brass player, I enjoy both DCI and DCA corps. That said, there is nothing in DCI right now that is so technically demanding and physically impressive that I could not imagine playing it myself. Several DCA hornlines, however, are at a level physically where I just cannot imagine making the same contribution as the average line player must be to create such a sound. And that is what thrills me the most at shows.

:rolleyes: You must have enjoyed Kidsgrove - my hearing aids need to be adjusted after all that time with them

• Like 1

I'll tell you what a nice compromise would be that would improve things DRASTICALLY and yet keep things "A&E free" during the judged performances...

Have a PA set up at the field level (or allow the corps to bring one) that facilitated any interaction with the crowd that the drum major, or other designee, may have. Drum majors in DCA (David Bruni and John Mayer in particular, among others) are almost impossible to hear. Where I sat we heard almost nothing. Wouldn't it be cool to have a hand-held or headset mic that a DM could wear to make that work better?

John, that's a good point.

IMO, one of DCA's strengths through the years has been that "personality connection" between the DMs and the audience... it's something the DCI corps have not done for many years, and I hope it never goes away on the DCA side.

In fact...IMO... more corps should be encouraging their DMs to do this.... and teaching them how to do so if necessary. A DM doesn't have to make a fool out of himself or herself, and can stay within the "style" of his or her corps. But even a simple "Hi folks... thanks for coming out tonight, and we hope you enjoy our show!" can go a long way toward getting the audience to feel connected to a corps.

But in a larger stadium, you're right... some of that gets lost. Maybe a miked DM would help.

• Like 1

:rolleyes: You must have enjoyed Kidsgrove - my hearing aids need to be adjusted after all that time with them

Oh man... those guys could really bring the heat!!! Great corps and great people.

• Like 1

Oh man... those guys could really bring the heat!!! Great corps and great people.

I would have loved to see/hear Kidsgrove a second time, or third, fourth....what a sound!!! There is FFF and then there is BYFBO volume. I hope I don't need to clarify BYFBO musical term.

Scott Smith

• Like 3

However, in the pre-show, before the judged 10 to 12 minutes... it has for a long time to been legal to use recorded music or amplified voice or just sound effects - think back to Empire of the 90's with their own announcer... but if you do this ... it must be with YOUR equipment and it must stop when the judging starts...

MBI during their pre-show broadcast mood setting audio from the Bonnie and Clyde vehicle... all very tasteful and well done...

I agree. I believe they also did this a few years ago as well. Both times helped to set the mood and Im all for that.

:satisfied: