Trends in horn writing.

I understand why a lot of people are complaining about the state of brass arranging in DCI nowadays, but this past season (2012) we had some incredibly melodic and continuous arrangements:

BD (ballad, swing chart)

Crown (Fanfare)

BK (pretty much the entire show - just a transcription of the Firebird)

Crossmen (most of the show)

Phantom (of course)

Cadets (lots of familiar melodies, plus that gorgeous ballad)

Bluecoats (ballads!)

Madison (ballad)

SCV (wonderful ballad and Mars closer)

Glassmen (Organ Symphony)

Jersey Serf (most of the show)

What am I missing here? Just because every show is a literal transcription doesn't mean it is not melodic. As for technicality for the sake of showing off, Crown this year was by far the biggest culprit, yet they were the overwhelming fan favorite to win. Meanwhile, Madison chopped n' bopped like crazy, but was adored by fans.

• Like 1

I understand why a lot of people are complaining about the state of brass arranging in DCI nowadays, but this past season (2012) we had some incredibly melodic and continuous arrangements:

BD (ballad, swing chart)

Crown (Fanfare)

BK (pretty much the entire show - just a transcription of the Firebird)

Crossmen (most of the show)

Phantom (of course)

Cadets (lots of familiar melodies, plus that gorgeous ballad)

Bluecoats (ballads!)

Madison (ballad)

SCV (wonderful ballad and Mars closer)

Glassmen (Organ Symphony)

Jersey Serf (most of the show)

What am I missing here? Just because every show is a literal transcription doesn't mean it is not melodic. As for technicality for the sake of showing off, Crown this year was by far the biggest culprit, yet they were the overwhelming fan favorite to win. Meanwhile, Madison chopped n' bopped like crazy, but was adored by fans.

Blue Knights' Firebird was absolutely not "just a transcription of Firebird". It was pretty different, but that's okay too. I mean even Cavaliers' '88 Firebird or Cavaliers' '97 Firebird ( which were arranged more closely to the original than BK's version) were not transcriptions.

Madison's show was pretty choppily arranged but ok.

I guess you're correct. Last year had a lot of melodic and continuous arrangements, yet I didn't go to a single show. I watched everything on FN.

There's certainly something missing in the horn writing many places. I guess it's not the "what" so much as the "how"?

Anyone notice how the checker board seems to change every several years in terms of brass writing trends. In the mid/late 90s pretty much through the mid 2000s, it was all about 16th note runs. Which arranger could out write the others with their running 16th note licks? And which hornlines could out perform all other hornline's runs? Lately, it seems like multi-tounging is the new trend (double and tripple tonguing). Corps still do runs of course but now the big contest is who can out articulate each other? Makes me wonder what the next new trend in brass arranging will be. Obviously, there is always going to be some of ALL of it (as there always has been a little of all of it in every time period), but it always seems like there is always one common trend that drives the time period.

Regardless of what the next new trend is, lets have some fun with this and talk about what our favorite multi-tonguing moments were of 2012. I know Crown had some great moments...a whole bunch in fact. Any others stick out?

I don't see it as a trend. Those types of demanding elements have been around for years. Of course it would be nice if the brass line did not stop moving to do it most of the time. Go to the tube site and check out the end of the opener from Memphis Blues 1982. Full ensemble double tonguing during a company front and that from a corps that only placed 19th.

So did we really need a verbalization of the obvious? Did it make musical sense or was it simply Arbans running on the field? This get pretty much to the point of defines "music" vs notes on a page. Granted very hard lick, but when you have the talent pool you select and pretty much unlimited time to rehearse..meh.

Would love to see this piece on the field in its entirety.

Really? I thought it was amazing, since unlike other corps who play their hard licks halted, the Cadets did it on the move. It was an insanely hard brass lick, especially with the exposure and timing needed to get it right. And it was part of the melodic content of the piece, so it wasn't just a technical exercise on the move. That still ranks as one of the best Cadets shows, and one of their hardest as well. How they got that drill clean, and that horn line as loud as they did, I'll never know. But some people just latch on the narration as a way to complain about the show.

Really? I thought it was amazing, since unlike other corps who play their hard licks halted, the Cadets did it on the move. It was an insanely hard brass lick, especially with the exposure and timing needed to get it right. And it was part of the melodic content of the piece, so it wasn't just a technical exercise on the move. That still ranks as one of the best Cadets shows, and one of their hardest as well. How they got that drill clean, and that horn line as loud as they did, I'll never know. But some people just latch on the narration as a way to complain about the show.

Huh? Where did I bring up narration? I mean it ruined the show but had nothing to do with the discussion. Besides, ya it was tough but out in the real world of music such licks are played daily (very well) without hundreds of hours practicing it. Impress me with BOTH your technique and your musicality.

Would love to see this piece on the field in its entirety.

Magic of Orlando 2002

Southwind 2005

Pacific Crest 2008

I've aranged it for a few bands, and have heard it countless times. Great film music. Too bad not much of that quality is being written anymore.

Huh? Where did I bring up narration? I mean it ruined the show but had nothing to do with the discussion. Besides, ya it was tough but out in the real world of music such licks are played daily (very well) without hundreds of hours practicing it. Impress me with BOTH your technique and your musicality.

They didn't impress you? I'm sorry, you must be tough to impress though. I remember being blown away, literally and figuratively by that horn line and show.

• Like 2