Carol Munro

sarnia sam

Carol Munro, who was the #2 bass drummer in the Optimist Alumni from the beginning of the corps to this year when she had to give up her spot, died on Saturday. It was cancer. She also played xylophone in the Oakland Crusaders from 1975 to 1978 and prior to joining Oaklands she was a five year member of the Optimist Lancers playing snare.

Carol was a great friend to many and not only ran the bass line in Optimists, she sometimes ran the section leader too (that would be me). I said elsewhere she could tune a cardboard box and make it sound great; as it was, the Optimist bass line always sounded the best on the field.

Carol also gave the Oakland Crusaders drum line a musical identity that was second to none, virtually all by herself since she was the only xylophone player. She gave Oaklands a sound that only a few other corps were able to achieve, giving the audience something to hum when otherwise it would be just a nice drum solo. In 1978 the solo was based on Herbie Hancock's Hang up Your Hang Ups, until early July when Carol discovered that Chuck Mangione's Hide and Seek fit exactly over the battery parts. The parts she arranged for herself and bells player Vince Cicchine gave audiences something current to enjoy and relate to that was a big hit. She will be greatly missed.

Arrangments are:

11:00 – 1:00 visitation at the funeral home Sunday, September 23, 2012 - Ward Funeral home for visitation

...2035 Weston Rd. (north of Lawrence Ave.) Weston, Ontario. M9N 1X7 (This is actually in Toronto)

1:00 – 3:00 PM service to be held at the funeral home

3:00 – 4:00 PM refreshments to be served in the funeral home

Hoist a Corona, it was her favourite

Regards,

John

Thanks for posting this John.

Carol Bell was an AMAZING woman, with a love second to none for our activity. Your words capture her perfectly. I'll miss the smile and hug I'd get from her every time we crossed paths.

I had the privilege of being taught by Carol in the early 90's in OC. She was one of 3 people who helped to shape my love and appreciation for music and the DC activity. Sadly now, 2 of them are gone, both taken away to early by Cancer.

Thanks for the great times, the education, the laughs, and my Nickname.

RIP Carol Bell

Forever your friend and student

David Raul "Roo" Wicken