Modern Players With Older Equipment

So, if we want to provide Key of G instrumented corps as an option, great. It may provide an interesting experience and entertaining shows, but it won't upset World Class or even the top of Open Class all that much if at all.

Going off topic here (don't tell my sponsor... :shutup: ) but my parade/standstill corps plays 3v Kanstuhl key o' G. Have some younger members, including at least one recent DCI member and never hear any discussion about horn keys. Either the difference isn't that great or doesn't affect them at all. And bleeped if I can tell what corps plays what key when I go to DCA. Any differences in tone can be explained by different manufacturers as much as key.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I find the Future Corps videos posted to be a bit ironic, considering they were using three valve bugles LONG before they were legal in DCI or DCA. They also introduced and used electronics extensively for a while as well.

Why ironic? They didn't use 3 valve G too many years before DCI because they weren't available for "years" ahead. FWIW I actually got to PLAY the FIRST DEG 3 valve mello in rehearsal, I want to say 89. Serial Number 0001. Obviously we didn't use them and it was awful on back pressure BUT it was there.

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but Glassmen played snares with Mylar heads for several months in either 2001 or 2002. They got tired of changing heads three times a day for no real difference, so they switched back to Kevlar. There's a reason modern things are used.

• Like 1

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but Glassmen played snares with Mylar heads for several months in either 2001 or 2002. They got tired of changing heads three times a day for no real difference, so they switched back to Kevlar. There's a reason modern things are used.

Well, maybe the answer is don't tune them so tight so they sound like snares and possibly the Mylar would last longer?

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 1

As a preliminary, I have been involved with drum corps since the days of 1 valve and NO slip-slide (1958).

The change from G-D to G-F was welcome and no big deal. Changing to 2 valves (G-F's were actually 2 valve horns, just the mechanism for #2 was different) was no big deal. What happened with the change to 3 valves was that arrangers didn't need as much "missing note" experience in order to get the job done. The best arrangers of the single and two valve era knew that key selection was critical to success. They also knew what notes (A-flat above the staff!!) were intonation nightmares to be avoided unless your players were experienced.

And, if your corps was taught by one of the more astute instructional staffs, you would dread the rehearsal where the Conn Strobotuner (aka "the strobe") came out of the closet. Tuning was as important then as it is now, perhaps even more important given that most corps didn't have the luxury of a full set of like model brass.

To answer Jim's initial "I wonder what would happen".....some would love it, some would hate it, and most wouldn't care. Just like huge pits, electronics and saxophones.

BTW, if you haven't read Frank's latest piece, do it now.

• Like 1