Spectacle City Mariners

Blue Knights (Michigan)

32nd Hussar

Queen City Cadets

Mounties (St. Paul, MN)

Drifters

Gateway Combine

Iron Cross

Anyone remember some of these corps? How about a corps that didn't go to DCI...Oshkosh Warriors?

• Like 1

I didn't know that...cool!

I guess I saw nearly every one of those corps at one time or another.

I was publicity person for the Mounties in '76, and found them a horn instructor. They later became the top 25 DCI St. Croix Rivermen.

The Mariners were one of the early (if the 1960s can be termed early) total GE corps on the field.

32nd Hussar was famous for being the "other" all-male corps from Madison. They had their drum majors pose on horseback for the official corps publicity photo.

The Drifters (at least the ones from British Columbia) were around through the '78 season. Come to think of it, the Drifters from MA were also around through the '78 season.

Gateway City was, as their name would imply, a short-term merger of smaller St. Louis African-American corps. They were only on the field in '78, and they played "Star Wars", "The Wiz" and "Send In The Clowns".

Iron Cross was the Crossmen feeder corps through the early 80s.

Blue Knights (MI) played "Latina" as a sort-of theme song for the 72 through 77 seasons.

Queen City was a mainstay in Ohio for quite a few years, before disappearing after the 77 season.

I'll throw in Nightfire, North Hollywood, CA.

We only fielded one time for a whopping 5 shows in 1996. "Selections from Jekyll & Hyde"

Ironically, Pacific Crest had ALSO chosen music from that show, but played different selections than we did...and because we were the new kids, we always went on first....so we can lay claim to being the first drum corps to bring J&H to the field!!

"We Hardly Knew Ye":

The "Corps of the North", a junior corps from Fairbanks Alaska. Were active early-mid 1960's. Dave Shaw was stationed at Fort Wainwright for his US Army stint and worked withthem. There was a picture of them in DCN.

Bridgeport CT had a junior corps sponsored by the Bridgeport Fire Department called the Scarlet Knights. (We called them the "Fireballs":)) They disbanded in 1963 with their surviving membership migrating to the Bridgeport PAL Cadets and St Raphaels Buccaneers.

Elphaba

The "Corps of the North", a junior corps from Fairbanks Alaska. Were active early-mid 1960's. Dave Shaw was stationed at Fort Wainwright for his US Army stint and worked withthem. There was a picture of them in DCN.

Corps of the North was supposed to compete at the 1965 American Legion Nationals in Portland (they DID compete at the '63 VFW Nationals in Seattle). Due to the horrendous Alaskan earthquake of Palm Sunday, 1964, they had to put all their energy into restoring their state back to order, so they didn't make it.

What about the Corps were I started marching...the Bluewater Buccaneers from Sarnia, ON? They had a decent Corps back in the early 80's, but always were a feeder Corps for the top 12. There was a kid that started marching on cymbals when he was 9 years old in 1974 and he ended up aging out with Blue Devils as snare section leader in 1986. He's still the only snare player to score 100% at DCI individuals!

Edited by Opti-Burr
  • Like 1

What about the Corps were I started marching...the Bluewater Buccaneers from Sarnia, ON? They had a decent Corps back in the early 80's, but always were a feeder Corps for the top 12. There was a kid that started marching on cymbals when he was 9 years old in 1974 and he ended up aging out with Blue Devils as snare section leader in 1986. He's still the only snare player to score 100% at DCI individuals!

Steve Campbell!!