What Corps....

Was the first big merger that made an impact in DCI?

Oakland Crusaders? Followed by Seneca Optimists?

I think after that it was a way to save corps in the area. Later Crossmen.

I know that Regimente Militaire was a huge merger but didn't impact the top 12 as they tied for 17th with Finleyville.

I agree they made in impact but not until 1978 when they made finals. Oakland merged for 1975 and made finals in 75

Northstar

• Like 1

I agree they made in impact but not until 1978 when they made finals. Oakland merged for 1975 and made finals in 75

"Merger":

More like assimimilation: The old 32nd Hussars of Madison went under at the end of the 1972 season. I understand a big slug of their membership migrated over to the crosstown Madison Scouts.

Madison had suffered a "So-So" season in 1972, and failed to make the first DCI Finals. The influx of Hussar guys filled out their lines and helped propel them back into serious contention for 1973.

The Madison guys on DCP could fill out the details on this....

Elphaba

"Merger":

More like assimimilation: The old 32nd Hussars of Madison went under at the end of the 1972 season. I understand a big slug of their membership migrated over to the crosstown Madison Scouts.

Madison had suffered a "So-So" season in 1972, and failed to make the first DCI Finals. The influx of Hussar guys filled out their lines and helped propel them back into serious contention for 1973.

The Madison guys on DCP could fill out the details on this....

Elphaba

John Price, a former Madison Scouts alum of the 1950s, formed the 32nd Hussars in 1969 after the death of C.H. Beebe in 1968. Price was a member of the Scouts's VWF championship guard of the late 1950s. The membership of the Hussars was comprised of a good number of former Madison Scouts who had migrated with Price after Beebe's death. The corps struggled financially and competitively through its brief existence. Some Hussars members filtered back to the Scouts, beginning in '71 and '72. Most migrated to the Scouts after the Hussars folded before the '73 season; some went to the '73 Blue Stars. Although their numbers were small, the ex-Hussars were a constituent part of the Scouts's upsurge of 1973-1975. They were local guys and dedicated Scouts. Dan Verhussen, the DM of the Scouts in 1980, had migrated from the Hussars to the Scouts in '73. Todd Ryan, current M&M guru of the Blue Devils, had likewise migrated from the Hussars to the Scouts in '73. Good times marching with this brethren back in the day!

• 2 months later...

The merger that had the most affect on drum corps? It was the failure of the Morton Grove Cougars - St. Michael's Chi-Angels merger of 1963. The resulting corps, the Morton Grove Spartans, was huge and bad. As I recall, a 5 and 5 drum line, over 40 horns. As people said that summer, when you put two little pieces of **** together, you end up with one big piece of ****. However, after the year, the Spartans folded and the members went primarily to the Des Plaines Vanguard and the Royal Airs. Both corps were radically improved in 1965. It was common to see the two corps take off their uniform tops and see tshirts from Morton Grove Cougars and Spartans, St. Michael's, Custer's Brigade, Jackson Park Raiders, and other local corps that folded in 1963 and 1964.

The one year merger and subsequent folding of the Morton Grove Cougars significantly affected drum corps from 1965 through 1971. The Vanguard, in particular benefited. They were 18th in 1964 and 5th in 1965 at VFW nationals. The added members helped make the Royal Airs the most storied drum corps of all time.

Northstar

I agree. The North Star's rapid rise up the ladder to include 3 years of top 12 status was a direct result of a voluntary, coordinated merger that worked well for them. They made it as high as 9th one year ( '79). From start up as a merger of small, non finalist DCI Corps, it only took them a short 3 years to break into DCI's World Class Division's Top 12.

Very entertaining, crowd pleasing Corps too I might add.

Edited by BRASSO

• 1 year later...

I work with Dennis Kaff who marched with 32nd Hussar. Their uniforms were awesome and music still exists. I ordered their music on amazon. Dan Guernsey, you were the drum instructor for the Madison Jr Scouts in 1979 if I recall correctly. I marched with them that year and 4 more after that. 1979 was by far the best!

Dennis told me it upset him that they never beat the Scouts! To this day, he doesn't care for the Scouts. We can laugh about it now!

Edited by nate weber

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently, the Bridgemen's 1985 non-fielding of a corps helped the fledgeling Star out, as did Pride of Cincinnati's folding.

... Apparently, the Bridgemen's 1985 non-fielding of a corps helped the fledgeling Star out, as did Pride of Cincinnati's folding.

Hmmm ... 85 was the Bridgemen's Christmas in July show ... I saw them in Clearwater, FL that year ... along with the new SOI corps ... true, they were a mere reflection of what they used to be, but they were still on the field ... it was also the last time I ever saw Bobby Hoffman ... I know the Bayonne staff was hired by Star, but wasn't aware their members went as well ...

:-)