Drum corps endurance study: Star of Indiana 1993

I didn't realize it was on YouTube until I saw it today promoted on Facebook by a number of my FB friends. If you haven't seen this, I think you'll find it verifies what many have known for years...drum corps is a demanding sport and the marchers are really hustling out there.

What's interesting is comparing this to the 2005 ESPN segment on the same thing. The results recorded seem to be in the same range (i.e., both of the folks running the test indicate the performers get up to a heart rate/exertion level of a marathon runner) but the biggest difference is in the size of the measuring equipment and how the information gets recorded. Pretty neat to see how it can advance.

Also interesting how both studies looked at tenor drum players instead of hornline/color guard. Must have something to do with range of motion allowed while wearing the equipment (and the fact that it's pretty hard to play a horn with a mask over your face!).

...Also interesting how both studies looked at tenor drum players instead of hornline/color guard. Must have something to do with range of motion allowed while wearing the equipment (and the fact that it's pretty hard to play a horn with a mask over your face!).

I've heard a few horn lines that sounded like they were wearing masks over their faces.

• Like 2

I've heard a few horn lines that sounded like they were wearing masks over their faces.

'89 SCV, right?

trollface.gif

• Like 5

'89 SCV, right?

Okay...let me clarify that by saying I've heard a few horn lines that sounded as if they were playing with masks over their mouths.

Edited by Michael Boo

What's interesting is comparing this to the 2005 ESPN segment on the same thing. The results recorded seem to be in the same range (i.e., both of the folks running the test indicate the performers get up to a heart rate/exertion level of a marathon runner) but the biggest difference is in the size of the measuring equipment and how the information gets recorded. Pretty neat to see how it can advance.

Also interesting how both studies looked at tenor drum players instead of hornline/color guard. Must have something to do with range of motion allowed while wearing the equipment (and the fact that it's pretty hard to play a horn with a mask over your face!).

I know some Major League baeball players that if I was in charge, I'd send them to Drum Corps to play tenor drum, and take the tenor drum player and put him on the pitcher's mound.

It might even improve my blood pressure, pulse, and heart rate.

• Like 1

I know some Major League baeball players that if I was in charge, I'd send them to Drum Corps to play tenor drum, and take the tenor drum player and put him on the pitcher's mound.

It might even improve my blood pressure, pulse, and heart rate.

In the late 80's/early 90's, I taught at a summer program for young people, most of whom lived in the inner-city neighborhoods of Boston, and all who wanted to push themselves to be successful in high school, or at least had a caring adult who wanted this to happen. It was an academic enrichment program in the morning and a camp in the afternoon. It was held at Boston College High School. Now each summer a drum corps would use their athletic fields for practice, and like any dedicated teacher who wanted to reinforce the importance of hard work and determination, I took my young charges to watch the visiting corps practice. Well, I'll be truthful, it was a shameless action on my part to get to watch the corps practice which I couldn't do unless I dragged the kids along, and they were impressed, and it did lead to all kinds of great talks about motivation, hard work, team work, and personal best. One year when I was watching the practice, some members of the coaching staff were also watching. They had a meeting of some kind and all were commenting on how hard the kids on the field were working, comparing them to the school's athletes. BC High has produced some of the best athletes in Massachusetts, so this is not faint praise.

People I knew who marched drum corps when I was in high school (77-81) and college (81-85) always claimed drum corps required better physical condition and endurance than the sports teams that kept them busy during the off season. It was obviously the case when the Star video was produced, and all the kids who march today look like athletes. This video proves what most of have probably known for a while--drum corps is not for the faint of heart, but it's nice to know what we have always instinctively known has scientific and medical backing as well.

They wanted to put that thing on me originally (I played snare), but I declined. They weren't seeking a particular section.

It would be fascinating to see how the stats for a brass player might compare (assuming they figured some magical way to measure them). While the might not be carrying all that weight, I can imagine the oxygenation / breath control / cardio picture would be...interesting :-)

It would be fascinating to see how the stats for a brass player might compare (assuming they figured some magical way to measure them). While the might not be carrying all that weight, I can imagine the oxygenation / breath control / cardio picture would be...interesting :-)

Must be a way of attaching an oxygen sensor to a finger with the rest of the gear in a bag.