What was the best crowd response your corps got and where?

65 CYO, right after the corps (BAC)was announced. Then Big Blue ruined our night!

2000 was my first finals. The BAC made the top five for the first time in the DCI era, so they were the first corps shown live on TV. After the intermission and knowing the final five were on TV, you could feel the anticipation in the crowd. The corps received a very loud greeting once introduced.

Edited by Ghost

"Best Response":

1965 World Open Finals, Bridgeport CT. It was our best job, in our best season, in front of our friends and families.

One of THE best memories I have of my time in drum corps...

Seems like yesterday....

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Yeah - I heard - the US Military (specifically the Air Force) made sure I didn't see any shows between 70 - 73. Byy the time I got out and saw the show at Hofstra in June '74 I couldn't figure out what happened to my activity so I drank the rest of that summer, and joined Sun in September.

... and I thank you for your service Sir ... and all the fallen heroes who served with you ... Viet Nam took so much from us ... just as any war does ... I can't sling a drum anymore and never played a horn, but I will be proudly marching with Sky's Alumni in the "air" section this coming Monday to honor all who served in the military ... God Bless them all ...

Andy

Two come to mind for me.

1. 1975 DCI Finals after the Danny boy wheel and I looked up and saw the crowd.

2. 1980 DCI East finals......... :)

• Like 2

Two come to mind for me.

1982 DCI Finals after the Danny Boy wheel and I looked up and saw the crowd... :thumbup:/>/> :thumbup:/>/> :thumbup:/>/>

Oh yeah...I was in the crowd for your '75 show (hadn't been called for retreat yet) :worthy:

Edited by gak27

Most exciting during the marching years was the 1985 Bloomington show... we got a tremendous standing O as we entered the field and it pretty much stayed that way through most of our show.

I can attest that it definitely was not the "warm" reception we received in Madison in 1991 or 1992 LOL

Lastly, the most moving response we received and one that all of us will NEVER forget is in 2010 for our Alumni performance... as we entered the field, when we hit the first note of Praise Ye and when we finished Medea... that was my coolest drum corps experience ever and it could be because I was old enough to truly take it in and appreciate it.

Edited by SACMellos2010

Two come to mind for me.

75 Was in the stands. Still sends chills up my back thinking about the show.

Now about 1980!...I still feel I'm owed an explanation as to why 27 did not win that night. One of the great classic shows ever!!

• Like 1

One of the best audience responses I've witnessed was in 1977, at the DCA show in NY City's Madison Square Garden.

It was a competition held on the arena floor... the corps had to cut down some of their visuals to fit the venue. And there was a big crowd there.... the word was that there about 12,000 fans in the seats that night.

And the Rhode Island Matadors absolutely tore the place apart with an electric performance. At the end of their "Malaguena" concert piece, the roar was absolutely deafening.

Then, when the Matadors played the first few notes of their "Theme from Rocky" finale, the place went ballistic... to the point where you could barely hear the corps play.

My corps (Long Island Sunrisers) won that show... but none of us would have complained if the Matadors had taken home the win.

75 Was in the stands. Still sends chills up my back thinking about the show.

Now about 1980!...I still feel I'm owed an explanation as to why 27 did not win that night. One of the great classic shows ever!!

1980 DCI EAST ...we did win. But the next weekend was DCI Nationals and well we didnt.... :(

Two come to mind for me.

You just reminded me - 1994 Foxboro DCI - 27! OMG!

What a performance!

Folks who know me know I'm not a huge 27 person - I always felt like they gave up too much music for their visual show, but 1994!

If you're talkint crowd response, I'm not sure you'll ever see anything like that again.

• Like 3