What was the best crowd response your corps got and where?

Erie, PA in 1985. The stands were really low and really close as there's no track. We finish the OTL and put our horns, and I was real close to the sideline. The crowd just starts yelling and jumping, and there was this older lady who I focused on because she was right in front of me. She didn't stand up, but she mouthed something like "Oh my God!", covered her face with her hands, and burst into tears. One of those seminal moments in my marching career.

That, and the US Open prelims in 85 again, where, before we went on, our staff told us "This crowd goes crazy if you seed the applause. So we're not going to sit together in the stands and act like regular audience members and clap at everything." Well, it worked. The audience screamed and clapped at spots we'd never heard applause before. They went crazy! And that was the first time we beat SCV that year.

• Like 3

Madison Scouts. 1981 DCI Midwest in Whitewater, Wi, (1st place), & the 2006 Madison Scouts Alumni Reunion Corps performance at DCI Semis in Madison. These 2 performances were the biggest crowd reactions that I ever experienced.

• Like 1

1984 Pacific Procession when we beat BD in old Spartan Stadium

1984 DATR when we debuted the white pants and body-slammed everybody

1985 DCI East after our opener-- people started holding up "10" signs; that was a first and the highlight of my age-out year.

'85 Finals -- Crocker goofing up the High Color Guard award, announcing the top 3 scores and the "intriguing" reaction thereafter.

2007 Kingsmen Alumni Corps in Pasadena; even the age-outs seated up front were screaming at us for more.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, it's a three-way tie: 1989 Allentown, the Madison Alumni 2006 performance, and

the last open mic I did at Brennan's 404 in Denver...I know, way smaller crowd than for Drum Corps,

but very exhilarating, so I am including it! ;)

• Like 1

Concord Blue Devils...

1982 Bayonne NJ Show :thumbup:

• Like 1

1980 DCI EAST ...we did win. But the next weekend was DCI Nationals and well we didnt.... :(

Sorry John I meant that you should have won finals also. That performance in Allentown of course is legendary.

Edited by Bucbari

1986, Great Gate of Kiev, SCV, Camp Randall

2002, Bottle Dance, SCVAC, Camp Randall

• Like 3

1986, Great Gate of Kiev, SCV, Camp Randall

2002, Bottle Dance, SCVAC, Camp Randall

Dale--

Wow,I had no idea you were part of the '02 SCVAC gig; Dennis Bray (SCV soprano 84-85-87) nearly got me to do that one but my son was only 18 months old at the time, so I was pretty busy. I heard that 2002 was a rockin' good time. :smile:

Hiatt Regency Lobby encore performance in Dallas, Texas 1978 after winning VFW Nationals.

They loved us, They were throwing $$$ over the rails. What a sight to see all of the people and the money raining down on us.

1970 Racine WI. Crowd started to get up to get refreshments, but when we were really getting into the OTL, they started returning to their seats to watch the little Corps from CA. At the end of the show, the announcer proclaims... "Wonderful show!, Wonderful show! Santa Clara Vanguard!!" It is on the record (the one with the Racine Scouts on the cover) so I know it's true. Never heard an announcer say something like that again... until 2002.

1973 Oshkosh WI. I counted 5 standing Os during the show. Can never forget something like that!

2002 Madison WI. Along with my SCVAC Brother, the crowd reaction to the Bottle Dance . And what the announcer said? At the end of the playing of "Clowns", the announcer said... "And that's the the show for tonight folks, drive home carefully..." Heh, we were the first ones on!

I love Wisconsin!!!

• Like 2