Why Drum Corps is betther than marching band

I'll list a few and then you can add more....you know you will.

BTW don't hijack this thread please. I know many of you are smarter than some of us (you make it so obvious), but allow us to say what we need to say. Thank you.

.......Independant of school

You can stay in corps longer and still after DCI you can go to DCA corps

Meet friends from different areas and even different countries.

Can get a good tan on the practice field (HS has to cover up more).

Okay add yours

BTW....should have spelled BETTER better LOL

Edited by KeithHall
  • Like 2

I'll list a few and then you can add more....you know you will.

BTW don't hijack this thread please. I know many of you are smarter than some of us (you make it so obvious), but allow us to say what we need to say. Thank you.

.......Independant of school

You can stay in corps longer and still after DCI you can go to DCA corps

Meet friends from different areas and even different countries.

Can get a good tan on the practice field (HS has to cover up more).

Okay add yours

BTW....should have spelled BETTER better LOL

I don't think it is - I think it's different.

Thousands and thousands of marching band kids (and families) all over the country immerse themselves in the band activity and play amazing shows and have fabulous experiences.

My time with the Norwalk HS Marching Band staff in CT was as enjoyable as the many years I spent with a whole lot of different corps in both DCA & DCI.

For "drum corps people" I don't think marching bands fulfills us to the same degree, but I don't think (in my opinion) it's "better."

But to kids like my son Dan, it's special because you can play "wicked high and ####### LOUD" which seems to make all the difference.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I stilk have this tshirt...sold by L'Offensive Lions in the early 80's if memory serves...

I stilk have this tshirt...sold by L'Offensive Lions in the early 80's if memory serves...

Bluecoats sold the one I know of - late 80's through early 90's. I broke out mine and was sad to see that many of the listed items no longer apply, as many of the drum corps distinctions have been lost.

In Drum Corps, everyone is there to create the best possible show that can be created with the building blocks provided. In High School not everyone is there working as hard as they can toward the common goal, some are there to have a lot of fun and not to do much work. Other than that... There really isn't much difference...

In Drum Corps, everyone is there to create the best possible show that can be created with the building blocks provided. In High School not everyone is there working as hard as they can toward the common goal, some are there to have a lot of fun and not to do much work. Other than that... There really isn't much difference...

Actually there are plenty of bands that also "create the best possible show that can be created with the building blocks provided". Here in NJ, it seems like most bands today are totally after school volunteer activities, like any other extra/co-curricular activity, so only the kids who really want to join do so. The band I teach is like that, actually.

For me the main difference is time and focus, since during the school year band kids have academics to think of in addition to MB (with fewer rehearsal hours than a DCI corps), while a summer DCI drum corps experience is totally focussed on that single activity, with far more time spent on task to work and improve.

• Like 1

Actually there are plenty of bands that also "create the best possible show that can be created with the building blocks provided". Here in NJ, it seems like most bands today are totally after school volunteer activities, like any other extra/co-curricular activity, so only the kids who really want to join do so. The band I teach is like that, actually.

For me the main difference is time and focus, since during the school year band kids have academics to think of in addition to MB (with fewer rehearsal hours than a DCI corps), while a summer DCI drum corps experience is totally focussed on that single activity, with far more time spent on task to work and improve.

I can see that perspective Mike... Although back in the late 70's and early 80's when I marched in High School... We were a lot more like I described. :shutup:

I can see that perspective Mike... Although back in the late 70's and early 80's when I marched in High School... We were a lot more like I described. :shutup:

Oh, absolutely. Back in my MB marching days (68, 69, 70), it was even worse, at least in schools I was familiar with. There were a couple of schools that even then had pretty kick-butt programs, but they were few and far between.

The new band director of the band I work with marched Cadets in 2010, and is on visual staff with Cadets2. She is putting in a lot of Cadet-style visual techniques into the band, including how we rehearse...the kids only half jokingly refer to themselves as Cadets3. :smile:

...and they love it. I'm the old dog trying to learn new tricks! :tongue:

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

I used to prefer drum corps because it sounded better to me. I find the G bugle sound more pleasing and exciting than a marching band. i particularly dislike squeaky woodwinds. But there are only a few G lines left (will really miss Empire!) outside of alumnus.

Truthfully I don't know if one artistic expression is 'better' than another. That's a matter of personal taste.

• Like 1