Scores in 1974

There was indeed a focus on execution, because it counted for so much. I, for one, appreciate the focus on execution. Do I think we need to go back to the Tick system? Not really, but we need to take a better look at excellence, because we have moved away from that, and as "professional" looking groups, it's our duty to perform at the highest level of attainment. That means you don't perform a show that is above your ability to do so. You have a show that is perfectible by your students. That's what we've gone away from. And it shows.

There were mistakes done by groups like the Blue Devils (dress and cover) that wouldn't be tolerated in the days of the 70's. It just looked bad. And it was probably because they were given a show that was above their ability to execute perfectly. And, it might also be because the instructors weren't teaching the students that they should perform at that level.

Whichever is true, it's just sad that we don't have the kind of show that shows perfection anymore. Sad, indeed!

readheadedsop:

I see you marched with the Auburn Black Watch.

I'll never forget watching you guys rehearse at 1974 DCI Midwest in Whitewater.....

"Live And Let Die"!

I think I mentioned that there was an alcohol problem. Rumor had it that in 1968 he introduced the 27th Lancers as being from "Reverie" Massachusetts.

Listen to the 61 Nats recordings from Miami ... by the time he got to announce Blessed Sacrament, I swear he was going to fall asleep ... and God only knows why he shouted "GO" when the starting pistol was fired ...

:-)

Go? That's awesome! :>