the area sucks. there are no jobs. kodak is all but gone. xerox is all but gone. gm is all but gone. it was a manufacturing city and now it doesn't really have any. it may change like buffalo into service jobs but they will be low paying. so that's the picture there. i left 25 years ago and it was bad then. this has been a slow decline but the recession just accelerated it. kodak park is a big parking lot now and nobody parks there.....LOL.

Geeeez Don ... I woke up depressed and now I'm suicidal ... thanks ...

:lookaround:

Yeah...I live in the area. I don't find what Don from FLORIDA says to be true. Western New York is one of the most beautiful areas in the country.

I will tell you something though, I have spending some time with the Dansville White Sabers. I think that by the end of this year, more people that still want to compete may consider this tidy little corps as a viable option.

Donny

• Like 2

Yeah...I live in the area. I don't find what Don from FLORIDA says to be true. Western New York is one of the most beautiful areas in the country.

I will tell you something though, I have spending some time with the Dansville White Sabers. I think that by the end of this year, more people that still want to compete may consider this tidy little corps as a viable option.

Donny

so your telling me that all the manufacturing is not gone? so when i was up there last year is was a dream? c'mon man. disagree all you want but that's how it is. you make it your life's work to disagree with me. maybe your right about th white sabers but i'll bet you money they will never be a cru or and empire.

• Like 1

so your telling me that all the manufacturing is not gone? so when i was up there last year is was a dream? c'mon man. disagree all you want but that's how it is. you make it your life's work to disagree with me. maybe your right about th white sabers but i'll bet you money they will never be a cru or and empire.

Hmmmm??? Interesting, Kodak Park an empty parking lot???

Over two dozen companies. Over 6000 jobs, the state has agreed to invest multiple millions into expanding the businesses and you call it an empty parking lot???.....Just sayin'?????

http://eastmanbusinesspark.com/

http://eastmanbusinesspark.com/news/82/Kodak_and_New_York_State_Propose_Partnership_to_Drive_Sustainable_Growth_at_Eastman_Business_Park/

http://eastmanbusinesspark.com/news/81/Natcore_Technology_Receives_%24500K_Jobs_Tax_Credit_from_NY_State/

• Like 1

Hmmmm??? Interesting, Kodak Park an empty parking lot???

Over two dozen companies. Over 6000 jobs, the state has agreed to invest multiple millions into expanding the businesses and you call it an empty parking lot???.....Just sayin'?????

http://eastmanbusinesspark.com/

http://eastmanbusine..._Business_Park/

http://eastmanbusine..._from_NY_State/

well there are a lot of empty lots. i saw them 2 years ago. besides your a kodak homer............LOL

• Like 1

How healthy is the Rochester area anymore? Don't know much about there except Kodak was a big employer. If the area ain't healthy it just makes things harder....

Kodak is only a fraction of the size it used to be. It has spun off a number of it's key product lines and a lot of the remaining jobs are outside of Rochester.

• Like 1

Kodak is only a fraction of the size it used to be. It has spun off a number of it's key product lines and a lot of the remaining jobs are outside of Rochester.

yes. and gleason works, dupont, ibm, stromgberg carlson , baush & lomb. all are gone or a lot smaller. ritter, , castle corp. i mean i can go on and on.

Edited by donincardona

Bad enough it got the closing story on NBC Nightly News last year. Think it was the announcement that Kodak would no longer make film..... after running the company on the basis of "We make film and dangnab it we're gonna keep it as our main focus and moneymaker".... Oooops.......

Hard not to remember when you're sitting in the stadium and looking right....

Guys, read my post again. I didn't say anywhere in my statements anything about "Kodak" the company being healthy, or a major player in the future. Nor did I mention anything about "film" or "film manufacturing". I did cite Eastman Business Park (the former Kodak Park)

And Don you are spot-on I am a Western New York homer, and I wear that mantle proudly. Rae (my wife) and I during our working careers, had the good fortune of working in just about every major city in the US. And we enjoyed many places that we lived. But we chose to come back here to retire after spending 10 gawd-awful years in Florida.

So I would say to each his own. I'd rather sit through some months of what some people consider lousy weather (where I can jump on a plane and fly to someplace really nice like Italy or Spain) rather than sit through one more g-###### hurricane. And oh BTW, you can keep the bugs, snakes, friggin' alligators, red-necks, crime, traffic, tourists, heat and humidity.

But getting back to drum corps. The mini, alumni, and reunion corps movement is alive and well here in WNYS. And it's the kind of drum corps I appreciate and like. So I'm not really missing anything. I can still go see live performances, get together with folks who share my views of the artform, have some adult beverages, share war-stories of the good old times and reminisce about our younger days. Life is good in WNYS. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Guys, read my post again. I didn't say anywhere in my statements anything about "Kodak" the company being healthy, or a major player in the future. Nor did I mention anything about "film" or "film manufacturing". I did cite Eastman Business Park (the former Kodak Park)

And Don you are spot-on I am a Western New York homer, and I wear that mantle proudly. Rae (my wife) and I during our working careers, had the good fortune of working in just about every major city in the US. And we enjoyed many places that we lived. But we chose to come back here to retire after spending 10 gawd-awful years in Florida.

So I would say to each his own. I'd rather sit through some months of what some people consider lousy weather (where I can jump on a plane and fly to someplace really nice like Italy or Spain) rather than sit through one more g-###### hurricane. And oh BTW, you can keep the bugs, snakes, friggin' alligators, red-necks, crime, traffic, tourists, heat and humidity.

But getting back to drum corps. The mini, alumni, and reunion corps movement is alive and well here in WNYS. And it's the kind of drum corps I appreciate and like. So I'm not really missing anything. I can still go see live performances, get together with folks who share my views of the artform, have some adult beverages, share war-stories of the good old times and reminisce about our younger days. Life is good in WNYS. thumbup.gif

well old friend i guess you told me. don't mean to get your panties in a wad. we all like what and where we like. i love florida. it took a while ed but this is my home. i let rochester because of the weather. and i never looked back. if ya don't like it here fine. but don't start all that big macho crap with me. it don't fly. so keep your veiws in NYS where they belong. and as far as rednecks........you have your share up there to. but ed all is good. your still my friend. ya can't kill 45 years of that. oh, and i hate hurricanes. smile.gif