Lacrosse, Wi

Windy but beautiful weather for the show last night. First time in three years it didn't see rain. Seven corps competed and they were all well receieved.

Music City. Big look, spread across the field and marched well. When playing loud sounded great, but got muddled when trying to bring it in softly. Playing some music the crowd enjoyed. Overall nice job by the open class corps.

Crossmen. Seem to keep everything very tight and not use up much field. I did like the beginning of the show as it probably irritated a lot of people here in Wisconsin. They have as much controversy with their politics as Texas does, so the Revolution and women chanting for rights was perfect. The peace sign at the end was a nice touch.

Troopers. You guys really started strong. Great sound, the sunburst. The guard looked bright. The music was crowd pleasing. The ending was the ONLY one all night that brought the crowd to its feet TWICE and not just because the show was over. This show was on. Great job Troop.

Cavaliers. Concept to the maximum and its coming together nicely. The only thing I did notice was that they have a much smaller brass sound with the same amount of horns as all the other corps and only get half the volume for some reason. I digress. The cloaks are neat, but stay on too long. The music is very cool. The gurad work is on and the drill is well written. When it is cleaned up it will be a great Cavie show. It will not win DCI but it will be a very memorable Cavie show.

Boston. Not sure what to think. The run onto the field, the fall to the ground, the lackluster bland colorless colorguard. The music doesn't pop because there is no, NONE, ZERO, color to bring anything to life until the last three minutes or so. This show seems like it could score three more points with the addition of the red uniforms much earlier into the show. Just a wierd show to watch. I usually love BAC, just not sure this year.

Bluecoats. The march theme is cool and music is played very well. I don't really know what else to say about this show. You seem to have maxed it out in my eyes and there is a lot of time left in the season.

Blue Stars. Holy Hornlines. Great job. The sound was loud......and the way the show started with the p.a. intro had everyone going. Cool props at front. The drumline was cooking and the show was on.

I know I didn't write books about each show and break down into tiny microscopic bits the evolution of where the shows went, etc. Not my job. Just thought I'd share what I got from the stands last night. Here is what I also got.

I have loved drum corps since the mid seventies. I have watched it evolve over the years. I have seen the entire thing change and the fight over electronics, mics, vocals, membership numbers, grounding of the pit, you name it. Do I think its all been bad? No. Some has for sure killed some corps off. That may or may not have been a bad thing. I do remember going to shows filled with nothing but bad corps and thinking this sucked. What has never changed, is the crowd that does show up, are good people. They are some of the nicest people you would meet. Most are moms and dads of members, but all are nice. The people I have sat next to at every show I have ever been to EXCEPT in Rockford ( sorry Rockford, but its true) have been awesome. Last night the people in front of us actually asked if we wanted seat cushion as they brought extra, just in case someone around them wanted one. That is DCI. See you in Mn today.

• Like 3

Thanks!

Your the first person to post (that i have read) that blue stars hornline is noticeably louder than other corps. All the other comments on the subject (that I have read) say the opposite.

I'm not trying to argue or anything, in fact i have yet to go to a show this year (first one in denton this thursday), I just found it interesting.