A VERY late Cedarburg Review

So this is quite late, but I was on the road back to Denver and have now recovered from my Wisconsin vacation!

I make this trip annually, but this time I was accompanied by my new girlfriend (who

is a Drum Corps newbie). she was wowed by what took place on the field.

First up was the Legends from Kalamazoo Michigan. This Corps was again fairly small

in numbers, but had a decent mature sound overall. Visually, they have been improving

each year I've seen them and they manage to have very impressive field coverage and

solid staging. I noticed that the top end was a bit edgy at times and that the mellos

were not quite making it to the end of phrases in the opener, but that is probably

due to early season lack of endurance, which should improve as the season wears on.

The ballad was really nice with a nice blended sound. The closer had some good impact,

and the unison brass/percussion hits lined up perfectly, which created a nice effect.

The second Corps to take the field was the Colt Cadets. Love their new uniforms! Simple, colorful and classy! I think I like them even better than the Colts new offering.

Here is another fairly small Corps, but with more "swagger" and maturity this year.

Nice build up in the opener that leads to a powerful brass impact of "Hymn to Red October" as an explosion of red/gold silks hits you. Very nice! There is a cool visual effect after the fanfare where the baritones/mellos push forward in two opposing blocks as the drums do an elevator drill backwards on the 50. Very nice. Snares fell apart just a little at the ending statement of the opener. Nice latin/Cuban feel in Carmen. Front to back timing is solid - that can be a big issue in the early season for a lot of Corps, but they nailed it. Very cool triangular form that leads the eye to a solo flag is a nice touch in their closer. Good show overall for the Colt Cadets!

Up next, the somewhat local Corps, Pioneer from Milwaukee Wisconsin. I must address

something that has been bugging me for quite awhile, and that is Roman Blenski.

I believe it is definitely time for him to switch "the hat" again. I mean come on Roman,

you had the black hat for about 20 years, then switched to the tan one, which you've

now worn for about 15 or so years. I would like to see some variety. Maybe a green one

or an orange one - or both, to go more with the current Corps colors? But seriously, it is great to see a guy like Roman still intricately involved with Pioneer and the activity as a whole - we need great people like him!

So, on to their performance. Right away, I noticed that their percussion has improved this year. They are playing well together and with the Pit and Hornline. One of my pet peeves is phasing between drums and horns and Pio avoided this pitfall. The show itself is very upbeat and emotional. The guard has some beautiful silks - especially during "Saints" - I really love the "Nawlins" style small ensemble. That was a high point in the show. I also love that they took their classic "Gary Owen" and used it as a closer rather than their usual "troop the stands" piece. All in all, I really enjoyed Pioneer's 2013 program! Who knows where they will place by the end of the season, it is still a step up for them, and a very "Happy" entertaining show!

Up next were the Colts. Right away, I noticed the visual impact of Sully (Marc Sylvester)

being on Colts' staff. All those little thematic details, like what I call the Mad Men palette...those jewel tone, plaid patterns that are on the guard uniforms and again on some of the silks. These really set the visual/emotional stage for "Field of Dreams". One definitely gets the feel of the late 50s/Early 60s time in America. The horn line has some real power and punch, which is a relief, because some years lately, they sound thin and a bit top heavy. Not this year. At the end of "Can't Help Falling in Love", the Mellos just soar on that major 7th note over the rest of the horns...gave me chills! Ballad is very lush and well blended...although I noticed some phasing in the feet of the Tubas. I'm sure that will get fixed...I do understand how that could happen in a ballad because the percussive pulse isn't there for the members to subdivide off of. The drums are tighter than last year and really get showcased in "Choral and Fugue in Jazz". I really love the groove/vibe in that one and they close out very strong and memorable!

Next to the field, the Blue Stars. Right away, they establish a dark and somewhat creepy vibe with the voodoo theme, as their show title; "Voodoo: I Put a Spell on You" suggests. If you look left or right of the Pit, you will see these antique wooden shelves that have purple jars with potions, skulls, rabbits' feet, and other "magical" items on them.

Their brass is a step up from the Colts. Especially the Baritones/Euphos, who have a "dark" controlled sound. I was a bit distracted though, with the pre-recorded "haunted" voices. They don't add a lot and worse, they cover up some great chord stacking between the Baris and Tubas...I would love to hear more of that feature, but can't right now.

In the "ballad" called "At Last", I really love how the brass builds the volume and slows down the tempo, creating a slow burn effect as the guard spreads out in a block with the horns. Drums have a great feature there, but unfortunately, the snares got a little flammy in the middle of it. That really stood out too, because for the rest of the show, they are one of tonight's cleanest lines. The closer has potential, but tonight, it just kind of ends without much "umph". I'm sure they will add something here, which they should. It needs an exclamation point to close out an otherwise great show!

Spirit of Atlanta is the next Corps up, and like Madison, they are on an upward tear these last several years. They have found that perfect marriage of the "Heart & Soul" of the Spirit of Atlanta we all know and love, and the modern version of who they are. Their show is called "Speakeasy" - a prohibition era show. They have tapped into classic 20s/30s Americana here (as they've been doing lately). They open with a very bright/punchy/jazzy sound, complete with muted mellos...love it! Right away, I notice that their drill is a bit cleaner and easier to read than the Blue Stars (although that could mean they have a slightly less demanding drill...I will have to see the show again from higher up). Love the horns doing "shots" at the bar. It's little touches like that that I love in a show. Sweet Georgia Brown ROCKS!!! They just really let loose here, and yet maintain control...I've seen a lot of shows in the past where the members get a little too emotional and the sound gets "edgy". But not Spirit. They have a very mature horn line.

We time travel forward to the late 60s/early 70s with the Crossmen. Their pre-show has the guard members staged around the field with "Protest" signs - as their show title denotes. The opener - The Prophet's Song - starts with a low build from the Tubas/Baritones and then explodes with the entire horn line in a slowly rotating block. They have the biggest overall sound so far tonight. The Color Guard really sells the concept of activism/revolution with everything from their individual movement to the more direct "protesting" with megaphones. Love the section where the horns line up and do the arm swing...feels almost like the Chinese Red Army marching across the field. Their percussion tonight is very smooth and clean. Love how the parts are written so fluidly - there are parts where the Tenor parts move into the Snares where it almost feels like there is no transition between the two. Here is another case where it feels like the closer needs something. I love that it is a "down" ending, but it seems like it needs more drama or focus to really sell that feeling. I'm sure they will get there later in the season. Overall excellent show for Bones!!!

The final Corps on the field tonight - My Corps - The Madison Scouts! I love that they hunted down, and found Joe Bruno - a Drum Corps legend - and got him to announce the Scouts' prerecorded introduction. The horns are set up in a vertical file and march toward mid-field as strains of Modern Warfare bellow forth from the Low Brass. As Joe says "Madison Scouts, TAKE the field in competition!" The file rotates (a hint back to last years' closer) as they get louder. Then it morphs into an angled "Fluer-De-Lis" as 4 Guard members are awarded by the DM inside the form. The fanfare builds and builds and the horns just keep getting louder and louder. Here is another horn line that has taken a leap forward this year in terms of talent and maturity. They have a rich, deep, and powerful sound. Another good thing, is that I can really hear their great Tuba line this year...it is not covered up by the notorious "Thunderous Goo" like it sometimes has been in the past. The drums are incredible! Tight, aggressive, and MAN, these guys are firing off some serious notes. Lee Beddis and James Sparling are geniuses in how they have written the drum book. It's not only musical, but theatrical as well. There is a place in the 3rd piece where the snares are marching toward the crowd at a 45 degree angle and they start playing the "Three Shot" setting on an M-16 Machine Gun! Very well thought out. This show is filled with nuances and effects like that. Many have said, and I agree, this is the best Madison show since their 2005 "Carmen Project" offering. It is so intense and powerful from an emotional standpoint. When they get to the "Lone Survivor" part and start singing "Never Walk" I, and many others around me, lost it. From there until the end, the show just grows and grows, and the horns again get louder and louder. But more importantly, they remain in control and have a great ensemble sound. Oh, and I forgot to mention the Guard...here's another section that has improved greatly and I am proud to see how confidently they are carrying themselves this year. They have a swagger (as does the rest of the Corps) that is borderline intimidating! Congratulations Scouts! You have again made this old(er) alumni very proud!

Anyway, it was a night of GREAT entertainment. Every Corps on the field brought it tonight and the crowd loved it, despite the eerie fog that rolled in off Lake Michigan...but at least it wasn't 105 degrees like the previous year!

Edited by madalumni
  • Like 1

Better late than never, and it is a great review. I agree with your comments about the Scouts. Awesome this year.

• Like 1

Thanks Shaners and Magbo! I enjoyed writing it and hope to get to a few more

shows yet this season to write more!