San Antonio

Think I will try my hand at a brief review.

Guardians started the proceedings with an exhibition of their SoundSport group, which quite frankly was a full-fledged drum corps on a smaller chunk of field. Brass, battery, pit, guard, over 50 kids, nice uniforms and everything. Performed like an experienced group.

Genesis was the lone open-class corps here today, which is sad. But they have exploded in growth to something like 56 brass and a couple dozen guard, which is not sad. Corps proper has gone to green tops, in keeping with the Oz component of their 2013 program.

That meant we would start with three green corps in a row, as Cascades led off the world-class action. It takes a little time for me to acclimate to dome acoustics, but their music ensemble helped speed the process up with their clarity.

I think we can pencil Jersey Surf in for 20th spot. Actually, make that ink. Honestly, nothing was likely to match the fan friendliness of Bridgemania, but I appreciate the improved battery they are fielding this year, and wonder what surprises might be in store if the brass can grow their contribution while on tour.

Oregon Crusaders debuted their complete production today, and it is layered, theatrical design that may score points with both fans and judges. After a soft first number, the initial loud brass stabs were sharply executed. Drums are clearly taking their act to a new technical level in 2013, but today was not the job they are capable of.

Pioneer is over 30 horns, and they stage their pit behind the sideline so that those horns can march into the pit area and let loose. There is much cleaning to be done, though - I would start with the parts they play from in the pit area, from where we can hear every detail.

Mandarins took the field with an air of deliberate purpose, as if a historic performance was about to take place. I think my expectations ran too high - they are certainly having an up year, but 17th does not belong to them yet. They almost sound like a Gino Cipriani hornline, with the upper half of their 60-something brass playing out while low brass, well, not so much. New uniforms, props, everything visually is professionally done, and the theme goes over well, but today the narration was just SO FREAKING LOUD... I mean, you could just hang out in the lot all day, and still catch THAT part of the Mandarins show.

Luck of the draw had Colts performing in the first block, so early that their soloists may not have been fully warmed up. As this was my first read on them, I was looking for why their drumline has been such an Achillies heel on the recaps - did not really notice. But I also did not really notice why their visual design has been getting such high marks. The drill is good, but I think it is more a case of some of their competition having drill design flaws. The new uniforms lack "pop" even up close, and must look really bland up top. Lot more horn players this year, and the show is one of the more accessible ones, thematically and musically.

Academy - OK, we get the whole French piano player bit. Must he babble on for all that time? I am the last person to ask for more synth playing in drum corps, but here is one place where a few piano notes would be a welcome accompaniment (or replacement) for some portion of that monologue. Not sure where this show is heading. In the push of the Shostakovich, where the entire lead line could not be heard in Denver, they now play the whole push backfield, so that here you could not hear the horns at all. And come on, ever since you got the Jupiter horns, those baritones have been out of tune. Will you pull the slides in already, or do I have to do it for you? (Sorry to sound so critical - I should note, Academy was one of my favorite 2-3 shows last year, but wow, they are determined to be different every year.)

Pacific Crest - looking good in all areas. No, they will not be threatening for top 12, but they appear headed for a duel with Colts for 15th. Like the Colts, they have over a dozen more horn players than last year.

The first top-12 threat to appear, Crossmen, have a lot of work yet to do. Hornline is not in the overachieving mode of last year yet, and I caught some blatant balance/blend offenses. The drill is not lacking in demand, IMO, just lacking field coverage. That will be hard to fix, especially starting now.

Troopers! Troopers have a big, lush sound like no one else this year, that makes you want to type exclamation marks! This line speaks as if given voice by some higher power. And what a gorgeous show. This corps should be in the top 12. Why are they not there right now? Drums have stepped up their game, executing an effective book by Paul Rennick. While the brass do not have as many notes as, say, Crown, they do make a point of delivering demanding rhythms clearly from different sections staged in field spreads that would have many world-class hornlines crashing in ruin. There is work remaining visually, where technique has improved and focus now needs to go to timing.

I like the show theme Boston is presenting, and suspect some of their musical moments will be among my favorites of 2013. But it seems like they must have a young hornline or something, because they still have balance, tone and breath gaps to fill in at some of the more physically demanding spots in the music. They have come a long way since June, but are still playing catchup in that regard. I have a real problem with them placing ahead of the corps that performed next.

Spirit of Atlanta, meanwhile, seems to have a new abundance of talent over recent years, and they show it off. They have also found a formula to balance old-school, in-your-face music with modern sprinting drill. Well done, except for a confusing lack of sound late show at the long anticipated Sweet Georgia Brown park-and-blow.

Blue Stars have not connected with me yet. Despite a new staff of proven successful designers, their show leaves me with all questions and no answers. Maybe the spell has been cast on me; maybe I need to see it a few more times. The brass book does not impress itself on my memory, despite improving execution and a star baritone soloist. I see the drums working away, but most of what they are playing is not projecting well. Too much time is spent with the entire hornline on one side of the 50 yard line.

Thanks to all the DCP comments about blue balls, I now have trouble keeping a straight face as Blue Knights start their show. But thanks to a monster baritone line, that is quickly forgotten. BK has an exhausting show of non-stop physical demand, but they are up to the task. All sections impressed me today, so I am not surprised to see them 9th (and would not object to seeing them 8th at this point).

Madison Scouts are going full Spartacus now. They have a DM conducting the audience in the singing of YNWA, with several clusters of spectators standing to participate tonight... and the whole audience standing by the time the front advanced toward them. Corps is in full character from the start, with horns jogging out the stadium tunnel with some Army-style jog-chant thing going on. Battery is performing very well on all sorts of weapon-like effects. Hard to imagine how this corps places anywhere other than 7th, or how anyone else comes within a point of changing that (in either direction).

Speaking of which, Cavaliers performed next. While I am relieved to find that rumors of a 17th-place caption finish in brass are overblown, I just do not see what should make this show go higher than 8th even if it gets fully clean (which is a long way off from a marching standpoint). Where are those cool drumline throwdowns, upside-down tenors, and the like? Oh, regarding the robes, I have no problem with them, and in fact, would rather see them used more rather than less.

Phantom Regiment was looking and sounding just fine. Early season phasing is gone, even here in the dome. Only real question is, given the medalist placement earned last year, was any of this show designed with aspirations of title contention in mind? I get the feeling this staff can do better... maybe they have something up their sleeve being saved for late season.

Bluecoats were next with their "Looking for Disjointedness" show, and yes, they found what they were looking for. Last year, they took an enjoyable, melodic show, performed the snot out of it, and were inexplicably slotted into 6th place no matter what they or the corps around them did. So to change things, they have designed the complete opposite this year, employing tactics comparable to recent BD shows - and they are 6th. Lesson learned, I hope.

At least we had an enjoyable, melodic show soon after Bluecoats, as SCV appeared next. This show works. No design fixes are required. A couple of specifics - drums had a good run, but they are mere mortals this year and probably headed for 3rd in their caption in the end. Heard a few uncharacteristic fracks from mellophones tonight.

Even after SCV, Cadets brass surprised me with their power. This is a strong year for them in both brass and percussion. If only they used their whole guard full time instead of pushing those oversized toy blocks around on those wobbly wheels, maybe they would be making it a three-horse title race. Is it too late to dump the props? At least fix the wheels, and make the 3rd place video look nice.

Carolina Crown has, IMO, the most challenging and exposed music ensemble show of the 2013 field. As a result, their first dome show of the season was a little rough, by their standards. Horns had a spot or two where timing was not as perfectly synchronized as past shows. Horns have also let up a bit on the throttle recently, after being the clear decibel leader earlier. Drums are not the train wreck some suggest, but there are a couple of spots that might require modification, and a couple of spots where clearly performable figures are randomly out of focus. Progress will be required in both of those aspects, as too low an ordinal placement in drums will dictate a point spread that could wipe out most of their advantages in other areas.

Blue Devils have improved immensely. No more tripping over poles. Drums had a great run tonight, while horns may have given their best of the year so far. Score movement reflects corps improvement in this case. But where do Devils go from here? This particular flavor of Rite of Spring seems like a limiting design choice. In brass and in guard, the whole show seems to plod forth in monotony, with only occasional variation. Guard and GE music scores seem to reflect reality there too. Percussion still delivers the full range of their perennial skills.

• Like 5

Thanks for the review! I think we have a lot of similar opinions - I especially noted how simiar we see Crossmen, Academy, Bluecoats, Blue Knights & SCV.

Harvey

Another great review! Thank you!

Even after SCV, Cadets brass surprised me with their power. This is a strong year for them in both brass and percussion. If only they used their whole guard full time instead of pushing those oversized toy blocks around on those wobbly wheels, maybe they would be making it a three-horse title race. Is it too late to dump the props? At least fix the wheels, and make the 3rd place video look nice.

Thank you for your review. What's the best way to say this? I'm afraid it has been a three-horse title race for some time. Now it's time to place your bet on your horse :) Odds are starting to look very good for the Cadets, props and all. "just sayin"

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 1

I enjoyed this review very much.

Think I will try my hand at a brief review.

Guardians started the proceedings with an exhibition of their SoundSport group, which quite frankly was a full-fledged drum corps on a smaller chunk of field. Brass, battery, pit, guard, over 50 kids, nice uniforms and everything. Performed like an experienced group.

Genesis was the lone open-class corps here today, which is sad. But they have exploded in growth to something like 56 brass and a couple dozen guard, which is not sad. Corps proper has gone to green tops, in keeping with the Oz component of their 2013 program.

That meant we would start with three green corps in a row, as Cascades led off the world-class action. It takes a little time for me to acclimate to dome acoustics, but their music ensemble helped speed the process up with their clarity.

I think we can pencil Jersey Surf in for 20th spot. Actually, make that ink. Honestly, nothing was likely to match the fan friendliness of Bridgemania, but I appreciate the improved battery they are fielding this year, and wonder what surprises might be in store if the brass can grow their contribution while on tour.

Oregon Crusaders debuted their complete production today, and it is layered, theatrical design that may score points with both fans and judges. After a soft first number, the initial loud brass stabs were sharply executed. Drums are clearly taking their act to a new technical level in 2013, but today was not the job they are capable of.

Pioneer is over 30 horns, and they stage their pit behind the sideline so that those horns can march into the pit area and let loose. There is much cleaning to be done, though - I would start with the parts they play from in the pit area, from where we can hear every detail.

Mandarins took the field with an air of deliberate purpose, as if a historic performance was about to take place. I think my expectations ran too high - they are certainly having an up year, but 17th does not belong to them yet. They almost sound like a Gino Cipriani hornline, with the upper half of their 60-something brass playing out while low brass, well, not so much. New uniforms, props, everything visually is professionally done, and the theme goes over well, but today the narration was just SO FREAKING LOUD... I mean, you could just hang out in the lot all day, and still catch THAT part of the Mandarins show.

Luck of the draw had Colts performing in the first block, so early that their soloists may not have been fully warmed up. As this was my first read on them, I was looking for why their drumline has been such an Achillies heel on the recaps - did not really notice. But I also did not really notice why their visual design has been getting such high marks. The drill is good, but I think it is more a case of some of their competition having drill design flaws. The new uniforms lack "pop" even up close, and must look really bland up top. Lot more horn players this year, and the show is one of the more accessible ones, thematically and musically.

Academy - OK, we get the whole French piano player bit. Must he babble on for all that time? I am the last person to ask for more synth playing in drum corps, but here is one place where a few piano notes would be a welcome accompaniment (or replacement) for some portion of that monologue. Not sure where this show is heading. In the push of the Shostakovich, where the entire lead line could not be heard in Denver, they now play the whole push backfield, so that here you could not hear the horns at all. And come on, ever since you got the Jupiter horns, those baritones have been out of tune. Will you pull the slides in already, or do I have to do it for you? (Sorry to sound so critical - I should note, Academy was one of my favorite 2-3 shows last year, but wow, they are determined to be different every year.)

Pacific Crest - looking good in all areas. No, they will not be threatening for top 12, but they appear headed for a duel with Colts for 15th. Like the Colts, they have over a dozen more horn players than last year.

The first top-12 threat to appear, Crossmen, have a lot of work yet to do. Hornline is not in the overachieving mode of last year yet, and I caught some blatant balance/blend offenses. The drill is not lacking in demand, IMO, just lacking field coverage. That will be hard to fix, especially starting now.

Troopers! Troopers have a big, lush sound like no one else this year, that makes you want to type exclamation marks! This line speaks as if given voice by some higher power. And what a gorgeous show. This corps should be in the top 12. Why are they not there right now? Drums have stepped up their game, executing an effective book by Paul Rennick. While the brass do not have as many notes as, say, Crown, they do make a point of delivering demanding rhythms clearly from different sections staged in field spreads that would have many world-class hornlines crashing in ruin. There is work remaining visually, where technique has improved and focus now needs to go to timing.

I like the show theme Boston is presenting, and suspect some of their musical moments will be among my favorites of 2013. But it seems like they must have a young hornline or something, because they still have balance, tone and breath gaps to fill in at some of the more physically demanding spots in the music. They have come a long way since June, but are still playing catchup in that regard. I have a real problem with them placing ahead of the corps that performed next.

Spirit of Atlanta, meanwhile, seems to have a new abundance of talent over recent years, and they show it off. They have also found a formula to balance old-school, in-your-face music with modern sprinting drill. Well done, except for a confusing lack of sound late show at the long anticipated Sweet Georgia Brown park-and-blow.

Blue Stars have not connected with me yet. Despite a new staff of proven successful designers, their show leaves me with all questions and no answers. Maybe the spell has been cast on me; maybe I need to see it a few more times. The brass book does not impress itself on my memory, despite improving execution and a star baritone soloist. I see the drums working away, but most of what they are playing is not projecting well. Too much time is spent with the entire hornline on one side of the 50 yard line.

Thanks to all the DCP comments about blue balls, I now have trouble keeping a straight face as Blue Knights start their show. But thanks to a monster baritone line, that is quickly forgotten. BK has an exhausting show of non-stop physical demand, but they are up to the task. All sections impressed me today, so I am not surprised to see them 9th (and would not object to seeing them 8th at this point).

Madison Scouts are going full Spartacus now. They have a DM conducting the audience in the singing of YNWA, with several clusters of spectators standing to participate tonight... and the whole audience standing by the time the front advanced toward them. Corps is in full character from the start, with horns jogging out the stadium tunnel with some Army-style jog-chant thing going on. Battery is performing very well on all sorts of weapon-like effects. Hard to imagine how this corps places anywhere other than 7th, or how anyone else comes within a point of changing that (in either direction).

Speaking of which, Cavaliers performed next. While I am relieved to find that rumors of a 17th-place caption finish in brass are overblown, I just do not see what should make this show go higher than 8th even if it gets fully clean (which is a long way off from a marching standpoint). Where are those cool drumline throwdowns, upside-down tenors, and the like? Oh, regarding the robes, I have no problem with them, and in fact, would rather see them used more rather than less.

Phantom Regiment was looking and sounding just fine. Early season phasing is gone, even here in the dome. Only real question is, given the medalist placement earned last year, was any of this show designed with aspirations of title contention in mind? I get the feeling this staff can do better... maybe they have something up their sleeve being saved for late season.

Bluecoats were next with their "Looking for Disjointedness" show, and yes, they found what they were looking for. Last year, they took an enjoyable, melodic show, performed the snot out of it, and were inexplicably slotted into 6th place no matter what they or the corps around them did. So to change things, they have designed the complete opposite this year, employing tactics comparable to recent BD shows - and they are 6th. Lesson learned, I hope.

At least we had an enjoyable, melodic show soon after Bluecoats, as SCV appeared next. This show works. No design fixes are required. A couple of specifics - drums had a good run, but they are mere mortals this year and probably headed for 3rd in their caption in the end. Heard a few uncharacteristic fracks from mellophones tonight.

Carolina Crown has, IMO, the most challenging and exposed music ensemble show of the 2013 field. As a result, their first dome show of the season was a little rough, by their standards. Horns had a spot or two where timing was not as perfectly synchronized as past shows. Horns have also let up a bit on the throttle recently, after being the clear decibel leader earlier. Drums are not the train wreck some suggest, but there are a couple of spots that might require modification, and a couple of spots where clearly performable figures are randomly out of focus. Progress will be required in both of those aspects, as too low an ordinal placement in drums will dictate a point spread that could wipe out most of their advantages in other areas.

Blue Devils have improved immensely. No more tripping over poles. Drums had a great run tonight, while horns may have given their best of the year so far. Score movement reflects corps improvement in this case. But where do Devils go from here? This particular flavor of Rite of Spring seems like a limiting design choice. In brass and in guard, the whole show seems to plod forth in monotony, with only occasional variation. Guard and GE music scores seem to reflect reality there too. Percussion still delivers the full range of their perennial skills.

Army style jog thing?

I guess basic training is something you have no clue about.

They sing that stuff in restaurants for free birthday deserts- my sons are forbidden to acknowledge my birthday.

That notwithstanding - well thought out and presented review.

frankiE

Edited by fecontra