Murfreesboro 2k13

I agree with the rest of your explanation about the goo, which explains why it doesn't sound or feel cool (and why when I first heard it in 2009--to my surprise, since I hadn't been following the rule changes--I thought: "what a cheat!"). It takes no talent or effort to boost the volume by moving a slider.

oh sure- I think it's crap. I think i meant-- I like bass in other areas of life-- my car, my speaker system in my living room, at the movie theater-- I think bass is cool and I like how it adds depth to music/entertainment-- so that's what I mean by the "sounds/feels cool" but what I don't like is how in this compeditive arena, much of which involves individuals producing sound -- how ONE person can producue as much sound as an 80 member brass line-- it's crap.

Thanks for the review.

Question: so what did your friends think after their introduction to drum corps?

they loved it-- my boss thought it was great

she was like "I never knew something like this existed! this is awesome-- it's like an entire underground thing here in Nashville-- there are thousands of people here !"

my friend from Ukraine was like:

"wow! oh my goodness! that was just sensory overload-- i didn't even know where to watch on the field-- where can i go to learn more about these shows??"

and the 7th grade trumpet girl was pretty shy-- i said "did you have a good time?" and she said

"yes that was cool!"

- The GOO is getting louder… I think SCV was the only group not to over-do it IMO. Everyone else there’s just an ever present BLUHHHHHHHHHHH all the time. It sounds cool and feels cool… but what I freakin’ hate is how you can’t tell when you hear bass anymore how much of that bass is coming from the low brass and how much from the speakers… I’m thinking it may not be wise to put any more than 12 contras on the field anymore… put more guard members out there for the visual… the subs can easily make up the difference… for better or, as I feel, worse.

-

I noticed watching the FN San Antonio show that in general, tuba lines have shrunk significantly this year. Back when they expanded to 150 (many years ago now), the general consensus was that it was going to go to guard members, then corps surprised us by putting out 72 and 80 member horn lines. With electronics and the dome, looks like it's swinging back the other way now.

Mike

domes will enhance the goo. It'll be interesting to hear everyone outside this week.

great review!