Allentown Impressions Night 1

Just getting back from Allentown and thought I would write a brief review (my first in years). Allentown was its usual self -- and that's a good thing. Always a fun trip and especially so when the quality of corps is as strong as this year. I was seated in the upper deck, around the 35 on side 2. Rather than provide a detailed description of the shows, I will simply share my impressions of each show that I saw.

Night 1:

Academy: So much talent evident on the field, but this show was a bit of struggle. The master of ceremonies character and Lola and the rest of the Cabaretesque visuals/storyline just did not come across well and felt completely lost when the sing-a-long started. And that is when the show was very awkward. Not sure if I actually heard anyone singing, and so it just didn't work. On the whole, this corps should try something a little less conceptual next year. It seems that the talent and impacts are getting lost as they struggle to put them into a total package.

Mandarins: I loved their show!!! This is the largest corps I think they have fielded, but they still have that Little Engine That Could feel to them. They are playing extremely well and actually pull off a story show with original music that is thoroughly engaging and somehow familiar. I think telling such an American tale really helps connect the show with the audience as it is a very common story. The drum feature was definitely a highlight of the night. Great crowd response.

Just a note on the first two corps: How crazy is it that the show started at 6:30 when the tickets had 7:00! Thankfully I pulled the schedule from the website and got there in time. But the crowd for the first two was noticeably light.

Colts: Maybe it was just a bit of a rough run for them, but this show just seemed very flat to me. (It's also always a bad omen when the opening soloist don't hit it). I appreciated the musical approach, and the colorguard outfits and flags were probably the best that I have seen from Colts. Unfortunately, the show just seemed confusing to me. It started almost like a Peggy Sue Got Married kind of feel and somehow morphed into Field of Dreams? Nice progress from last year and I hope they keep moving forward.

Troopers: WOW! They sounded amazing and while their visual show is not the toughest on the field, it is verry effective. One of my favorite shows of the night. The crowd reaction at the end was amazing -- other than Vanguard, they got the most crowd response. Not sure if they have the legs to push for the final Finals spot, but this year is a great antidote to last season's head scratching show. Troopers don't need a theme or concept, they are the theme/concept. They should never forget that.

Spirit of Atlanta: They sounded great as well and the overall package is very strong. Guard seemed to have a bit of an off night, but still a fun group to watch. The variety of music played is incredible, especially to do all of it as well as they do. The one issue I have with the show itself is that there really is nothing to the story that is compelling. I will also echo what someone else wrote on here that the silent drill before the big hit in the finale kind of deflates the buildup and the effect is lost. But still a really fun show. A little baffled, honestly, as to why they lost to Blue Stars.

Blue Stars: Strong corps, insipid show. Voodoo? I am sure this sounded good when planning, but this show is just a waste of a great guard (who had a really strong run) and a really strong percussion section. Oh yeah, the brass are strong also. Not much stood out to me from the show except the big black voodoo doll and use of music that intimate some sort of connection to voodoo or spells. It just struck me as odd to take a non-literal theme such as the "spell" of love and root it directly in a very literal characterization of voodoo. Just a baffling show. I had them below Spirit and closer to Troopers. But, alas, I am not a judge.

Bluecoats: This show plays so much better live than online. I really enjoyed the different spin on an American show along with their unique approach to how to actually put a show together. Going on after Phantom really made them seem very fresh and different. Storng throughout, but it did seem that the guard were having a tough run. This show is placed in the right group of corps, but I think it should be 5th, not 6th (or possibly 7th depending on how Cavies do).

Phantom: Hmmmmmmm. Just a lost show for me. The guard looked great. The witch didn't look as silly as I thought it would. But, as a whole, this show did nothing for me. I don't usually dislike Phantom shows, but this one should just be filed alongside the Red Violin show IMHO. Don't worry though Phantom, it get's better!

Vanguard: A very strong show that is being sold to a very appreciative audience. The company front in the middle of the show is my highlight of the season. Just amazing. loved the new flags at the end. My only issues with this show is that I don't think the very end delivers the punch that the rest of the show promises. I also feel that the music is a little overarranged. But, that beign said, they manage to hit the highlights from Les Miz in a new and uniquely Vanguard way. I actually had them ahead of Cadets. Not sure if they will climb from 4th, but who cares at this point. Just enjoy their amazing show!

Cadets: So, while I thought the Vanguard show was a little overarranged, the Cadets show is (at times) unbelievably and horribly overarranged. The best parts of the show are when they allow the music to develop and breath rather than simply forcing it into some drum corps formulaic set up. This show would be a million times better if they actually took some time with Medea and allowed that to work towards an organic resolution. Instead, the finale tries to create a finale out of the music and it just seems to me to lose steam. Also, the down ending is nice, but it did not seem to get the reaction one would have thought. I do not see this show any higher than 3rd. Oh, I actually am a huge Cadets fan, so it pains me to be so negative.

Favorite Three Shows Tonight: Vanguard, Troopers, Mandarins

• Like 4