John's Scranton Regional Review

It was a beautiful night for drum corps at Scranton High School Stadium. It's a really nice, fairly large facility, and DCA packed in a big crowd for this regional. Aside from the one major hiccup (see intermission notes below), the show was very well put on by DCA and the American Legion folks.

Bushwhackers

It's been fun watching the re-booted Bushwhackers perform this year. Gone are the days where they spend all summer trying to fill a legion of holes (though tonight it appears they did have a couple I didn't recall seeing a few weeks ago). The new uniforms look great, especially with the keyboard layover on the jackets.

Performing a very well designed program that fits the size and talent very well, the theme even works for someone who may not otherwise know the corps' history. The backdrops serve their purposes...to frame the field and make the stage smaller, and to hide members and equipment.

The drill wasn't as clean as I'd hoped for, likely caused by the few holes they didn't have in Downingtown. The brass sounds good, with a good balance. Percussion is the strong section in the corps, though I wondered if they were affected musically by the couple of percussion holes tonight. The guard was small, but competent. The standout moment tonight was the baritone soloist.

Unfortunately, the corps is going to have an uphill battle to make Finals. The small size and the way the show is constructed lean more towards what one might expect in Class A, and they just don't create the sound or visual impact of the other Open Class corps.

Regardless, this is a HUGE step forward for Bush, and they are an order of magnitude better than they were last year. This is definitely a year they can use to build on.

White Sabers

I was extremely impressed with the White Sabers when I saw hem a few weeks ago in Downingtown. I said then that this was easily the best version of the corps I'd seen since I'd been involved with DCA, so I was eager to see the improvement since then. I have to admit that I'd expected them to have progressed a bit more than they have, but it was still a good show.

The brass has a very good, very refined sound. Balance however, skews greatly towards the high brass. The percussion section is very musical, and the arranger thankfully resisted the urge to write too many notes. The bass drum line is far and away the best section in the corps, and their feature moments were outstanding. Guard wise, they are very good, with some cool rifle moments.

The best moment of the show is the ballad. A mash-up of the Largo and Dancer in the Dark shouldn't work, but it does. It's interesting and musical, without being goofy. The brass team really needs to find a way to have the low brass contribute more during this section though, as it lacks the dark sound you expect from both original pieces.

There is a lot of work left to do, but it's highly likely the White Sabers will medal in Annapolis. If they want to contend for the title, however, they need to really dial up the low brass.

Windsor Regiment

I've really been a fan of Windsor's first to years in Class A competition. They have established a very serious and sophisticated identity that has worked for them. This year, though, the design team has taken a huge step backwards. The overall design, from drill to brass and percussion writing, is something far more akin to what you'd see from a small, young marching band rather than the experienced drum corps that Windsor wants to become.

There's a good deal of talent on the field, and the performers are what save the program. The ballad of The Rose is the section of the show with the most possibilities, but it needs a great deal of refining, particularly in the brass.

The percussion, particularly the battery, is way overwritten, especially in the last third of the program. Finding the other end of the pencil would do wonders over the next two weeks. The trumpet solos, however, are fantastic. It really shows off the talent they have, that mostly hasn't been taken advantage of. The last minute of the show came off as frantic and wasn't performed to the level of confidence of the rest of the show.

I do not see Windsor repeating as a Finalist corps, though I hope I'm wrong. Hopefully the design team will reassess in the off-season and give the members a better product in 2014.

Sunrisers

The Sunrisers are another corps I saw in Downingtown. They've made HUGE progress over the last couple of weeks, in terms of completing the program and building the confidence of the performers. It's for the most part a very well designed program that gives them a new and interesting visual way to present music we've all heard before.

The color guard is very good, and does an excellent job of "painting the picture" (both literally and figuratively). The percussion was behind the 8-ball tonight having only two bass drums, but the battery didn't suffer nearly as much as I'd thought they would. Brass puts out a big sound that at times may be a bit rough around the edges, but is balanced and performed strongly.

I was a bit surprised to see Sun scored so low by the judges. I would have had them at least around an 80 or 81. They may not have been as clean as Bush or Hurcs, but they performed to a much higher level, and appeared stronger in brass, guard, and visual than both corps. I really think they got the short end of the stick tonight, particularly since it sets them up to miss Finals, and they are better than the two corps I mentioned.

Fusion Core

Fusion's jump in quality from last year's Hit Man show is just as big as that show's jump from the Africa show of 2011. They are now a very good, established Open Class corps. The program is mostly very well designed (there are one or two staging issues, one of which doesn't help the timing of the music ensemble late in the show), particularly the musical book. The brass puts out a strong, mostly refined sound, though the high brass is quite a bit stronger than the low brass, not in terms of balance but in performance level. Some attention to detail is needed here going into the last two weeks.

The percussion continues to get better each year, and they've made a leap this year. It's well-written both in the battery and the pit. The guard is competent in terms of performance, but I felt like the members weren't given a top-flight book that complements the musical program. They are by no means bad, just the weaker section in terms of design.

Now, the much-talked about "old folks on a bench". They've made a change (that I will not spoil) that works MUCH better. However, using the nice lady to help the soloist switch horns doesn't work. It's distracting, and takes the audience out of the moment. I'd much rather see the soloist swap horns from a stand in the pit than have it continue as it is now. This would also allow the old couple to really have their moment, because it really works once they sit down. It's actually a better moment than the corps in the other circuit that did something similar (their moment wasn't as strong visually as Fusion).

My only real grip with the show was the horribly distracting heart prop they use at the beginning. It's unnecessary and actually detracts from the moment. Removing it and not replacing it would actually make the end of the introduction MUCH stronger. You don't need it, guys.

Fusion looks to have a very solid hold on a spot in the 7-8 range in Annapolis. I was tough on Fusion two years ago when I reviewed the Africa show. They deserved the criticism. But I will say that they have really turned things around the last two years, particularly this year. They've really upped their game, particularly in overall design. Credit where credit is due, folks.

INTERMISSION

The concession stands ran out of soda and water by intermission. The only thing they had left was coffee. Nice work ticking off a couple thousand people. Unforgivable, particularly because this isn't a new show site.

Empire Statesmen

With all the talk about Statesmen closing up shop, I was really curious to see what they would bring to the table for their last hurrah. A "greatest hits" show wasn't going to break any new ground, but the corps does have a history of putting their own spin on stuff we've seen before. The end result, at least at this point two weeks out of championships, is decidedly mixed.

Thematically, the show is currently really a shell. The music is there, the props telling you what music is being played are there, it has a beginning, a middle and an ending. But aside from Dave Bruni's unbelievable coat, and the three ringer soloists down front, it lacks the usual touches that the Statesmen are known for. Some call it the cheese factor, but I like cheese. This show needs some, and I'm sure the corps will provide in two weeks.

The really great part is the music is very solid. The brass is loud, as you'd expect from a Statesmen line on G bugles. It's fairly refined as well, though the low brass isn't as strong as the high brass by any stretch. The three ringers down front sound great, but aside from the mello solo in the ballad, aren't really featured or an essential part of the program. In fact, the soprano screamers out on the field contribute as much or more than the guests do. The brass book is very good, both interesting and entertaining, particularly the closer.

The color guard is really very good. The work is well written and very well performed. They aren't, at least at this point, overtly contributing to any storyline, but again...show, shell, you get the idea. They are, as of now, 100% of the visual program (I'll get to that in a minute).

The standout section is clearly the percussion, and particularly the battery. Holy smokes can they throw down. It's got ram, it's musical, it just works, and they are pretty darned clean. This is a fantastic year for drumlines, and Statesmen are one reason why.

The real bummer of the program, and the part that is going to absolutely kill them on the score sheet, is the total lack of a visual program outside of the color guard. Statesmen have taken heat in the past for not moving a lot, but this year it's almost as if they are doing it on purpose. I'm not saying they stand still the whole show...they don't. But when they do move, it's not very far and certainly not very fast,and it's not at all clean. It's also just one restage after another, with 90% at 130bpm or slower. The real downside is that this decision will impact the brass, percussion, and guard captions when it comes to simultaneous responsibility. There simply isn't any.

Now, that all said, it's still a very good drum corps. My hope is that if they really are serious about closing up shop, they are planning to go out with a bang in two weeks. They need to add all those Statesmen signatures we all now and love (and some hate...not me). Heck, if I was them I'd safely make it into finals (in the 6-8 zone) and then come out on Saturday night and break every rule DCA has. Make it an EPIC finish.

Reading Buccaneers

I was disappointed in Reading's run a couple weeks ago in Downingtown. Not tonight though...the Buccaneers came out and simply mowed the place down in terms of performance. This show, for the most part, lives up to the "Higher, Faster, Stronger" theme. The certainly, as a whole, have more content and depth of program than anyone else on the field in Scranton. There's a whole lot going on here, and most of it is stupid hard and achieved to a very high level.

The problem is that for the first seven minutes or so, that's all it is: an incredible exercise in individual and ensemble achievement of some very difficult material. If you revel in that sort of thing (and I do), it's fantastic. But words like "exciting" and "entertaining" won't be coming to mind much, if at all. It's cerebral drum corps at it's highest form. it is no, however, "fun". They have the intellectual and aesthetic legs of the Triad of Effect covered in spades.

Until they get to the closer. When the mellos climb the ladders to begin the Bacchanale, everything changes. From then on, the show is "fun" and "entertaining". The new ending is great, and rips the audience out of the seats. But is it too little too late?

In this way, the show is very akin to the 2011 production...a technical masterpiece for seven minutes, with a fun closer tacked on. 2013 Bucs is a lot like the other circuit's dominant Blue team's show, with more major chords and a better ending.

The percussion is the standout section, both the pit and the battery. The brass was the cleanest of the night, even if the high brass is clearly achieving more than the low brass, with the mellophones being the stars of the show musically. The color guard has improved a lot, maybe more than any other guard since June, and the entire corps moves so well. The high level of training across the board is evident visually. It's not squeaky clean yet, but it's close.

My only real gripe continues to be the "tuba feature". If that's indeed what it is, it's still horribly broken. The tubas are staged right in front, and play what I *think* may be some cool stuff, but the battery (staged behind and to the left) is playing with the volume knob stuck at 11 and stomps all over what they are doing. If it's a tuba feature, please fix it. If it's not, please clarify the intent. Either way, do something.

Hurricanes

Following a Buccaneers performance these days is hard enough. It's doubly difficult if your corps is half Reading's size. I will say that the performers equated themselves nicely, despite being dealt a bad hand.

The battery is the strongest section of the corps, and the brass is small but quite good. The guard isn't the dominant guard we've come to expect from Hurcs, but they get the job done. The brass and percussion books are well designed, and the guard book compliments the music. The members march very well.

The problem is the drill, especially drill staging. It's killing the corps. I'll give two examples, both dealing with the standout section, the battery.

1. The opening of the show is a fantastically written battery feature. Sadly, the have no chance of playing it in time because the drill writer has split them from side to side with a giant gap the middle. The line is screwed before they play the first attack.

2. Bass drum feature. Hurcs have an *amazing* bass line. They have a superbly written feature, but the drill designer has put them literally (yes, for real) 10-15 yards apart vertically and horizontally. How are they supposed to play split runs that far apart? Answer: They can't.

Brass staging is just as bad. The designer segments them and has them all over the place, and usually opposite field from the battery. The guard has an amazing rifle feature, that we almost miss because it's, and I'm not kidding here, behind the corps, behind the back hash. I only noticed it because I was trying to find the source of a timing tear.

Drill staging is affecting every caption in the corps, and is likely the sole source of the corps low score. With better staging, this is easily an 8th or 9th place corps. As it stands, they are in a battle to get into finals.

Cadets2

Cadets2 are an order of magnitude better than they were at this point last year, and are substantially better than a few weeks ago in Downingtown. Yes, they are still working a bunch of folks in. In two weeks, they are going to scare the bejeezus out of some corps if they haven't already.

There is so much content and demand in this show, without sacrificing pleasing and entertainment. The feet have cleaned up so much, to the point that they aren't any more dirty in the feet than they corps in front of them, it's just a tad more noticeable with the cream pants. But feet are no longer the corps' liability.

The brass line has made a giant leap as well, particularly in the low brass. They have the most pure brass sound we heard on the field tonight, and easily the best high-low balance. The kids have a very strong handle on the difficult book, and it shows.

The percussion is the corps strong section, with an outstanding battery that can throw down with the top two. I wish they spent a little more time down front, and a bit more time integrated in the drill so we could see them better, but for whatever reason they are behind the rest of the corps most of the show. They had, hands down, the best and most musical pit on the field, and maybe in all of DCA.

The guard is improving, but is still the weak section. They are staged for success, so when they struggle it's very easy to see.

The program is very strong, with some nice nods to Cadets' history without making an entire show out of it. The antiphonal split section in the closer is outstanding, and may be the moment of the year in all of DCA in two weeks. The ending is fantastic, though in need of a little refinement musically and visually.

I think this corps is on track for a top five finish, and likely top four. They may not catch Hawthorne, but they will certainly get close. This show will be incredible in Annapolis.

Hawthorne Caballeros

Cabs took a huge step forward last year, and they've done it again this year. This is the best Caballeros corps I've seen visually in a decade. From the very first move, they grab you with movement and color. It's possibly the perfect blend of demand and content, without feeling the need to beat you over the head with hard stuff all the time.

Musically the show is outstanding, and monumentally better than it was in June. They've clearly made a ton of changes, and every one has been for the better. The brass line plays very well, and even gets a little angry-sounded when it's called for...something no other corps does. The percussion is very good, and plays a very musical book. The ensemble together is very tight, even with some challenging staging (not bad...just challenging).

The color guard is the outstanding section, and they are staged so well. This bites them on occasion...when you are staged this way, every single mistake is amplified, even the minor ones.

There are three standout section of the show, one of which was a bust for me in June. The "Time to Say Goodbye" ballad was a bold choice that had major issues in Wildwood. Well, not anymore. It's absolutely gorgeous. The changes musically, and moving Frank Ponzo down front, have made this the ballad of the year. It's equally as stunning visually too.

The tuba feature is, quite frankly, the single best musical moment of the year. Those ten cats throw down a harmonized groove that will knock your socks off. No other tuba line is even close to Cabs. Extra points for being clearly heard at all times during the show too (just get that last guy in the whole show, ok? Yes, I caught that even though you were sneaky about it).

The closer, Paint it Black, is an absolute riot. It's kind of weird hearing Cabs rock this hard, but it works, and they do. I like the changes they made to de-emphasize Bolero. The last two and a half minutes are just so much fun. Easily the most entertaining corps of the night.

So, are they going to win? No, probably not. But they are absolutely in the conversation with Minnesota and Reading, even more so than last year. One thing's for certain though...the Annapolis crowd is going to love the Caballeros.

So, we know the judges placements. Here is how I would have scored it:

1. Buccaneers

2. Caballeros

3. Cadets2

4. Fusion Core

5. Empire Statesmen

6. Bushwhackers

7. Sunrisers

8. Hurricanes

1. White Sabers

2. Windsor Regiment

A few notes:

I think Bucs' score was fine. I figured it would be a bit higher, a high 93 or low 94. I think the seeding between them and Minnesota is a coin toss.

After analyzing the recap, I only had two issues. Other than those, I think the panel nailed the show. First, Sunrisers were underscored across the board, and under-placed. I'd have them over Bush and Hurcs.

The visual ensemble judge gave Statesmen an 18.3. That was really about two full points on the high side. A 9.2 in content? Really? Nah, bro. They should have been a few tenths under Fusion.

The crowd was really great and gave ovations to every corps. The facility is easy to get to, has good seats, and great acoustics.

Next year, buy some more drinks, ok?

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 7

Great review so far and eagerly awaiting the 2nd half! :thumbup:

Great review so far and eagerly awaiting the 2nd half! :thumbup:

What Liz said.

Great to see you and Michelle at the show, John!!!

This show was my first viewing of both White Sabers and Windsor Regiment this year. To me, Sabers more or less put on a clinic on how to design a show for a smaller corps. Solid. Challenging, yet achievable, show. And more fan-friendly than their programs from a few years ago.

John, you're spot on about their ballad. On paper, it shouldn't work... but it does work, quite well. The brass soloist is excellent.

Windsor was a pleasant surprise to me. I know they got off to a slower-than-they-hoped-for start due to a "stuff happens" issue just before the season began... but they've recovered nicely.

I liked that their show this year was easier to "get" (at least for a knuckle-dragger like me!!!) from a music-selection standpoint compared to their shows of the two previous years.

Edited by Fran Haring

Thanks, John. Well done and thoughtful!

I need to get down and start writing myself after practice and dinner. If anything the one thing that comes across is how close some of the scoring relationships are across the board for most of the corps. A lot of things could happen.

Totally with you on the Statesmen "epic finish" thing, John.

I hope they throw everything at us, including the kitchen sink. LOL. Hey, they have absolutely nothing to lose. I wonder if live circus animals are legal? :tongue:

I, too, was expecting a bit more of the over-the-top stuff at Scranton. I love when they do that... IMO, they are the best ever (and no offense to the Bridgemen or Velvet Knights) at using props, special effects, etc. to turn a drum corps show into a full-blown entertainment spectacle.

One very poignant touch in their show this year... when they add the word "closed" to the backdrops relating to the tunes they've played over the years.

• Like 1

Jonn great review did not expect less from you I know Fusion was using a big RED HEART at the opening of thier show didn't know Sunrisers added one in also?,And Sunrisers have gotten much better throught out the season but thier scores are not refecting that ,So ONE VERY GOOD CORPS IS GOING TO MISS FINALS

Edited by Florida Sun

Jonn great review did not expect less from you I know Fusion was using a big RED HEART at the opening of thier show didn't know Sunrisers added one in also?,And Sunrisers have gotten much better throught out the season but thier scores are not refecting that ,So ONE VERY GOOD CORPS IS GOING TO MISS FINALS

You just caught a huge screw up on my part that I need to fix. Nice catch! #copypastefail

Yes, it's Fusion's heart that is a distraction, not Sunrisers'.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

John you made me sit here and laught out loud,I almost fell off the chair .I thought it strange that Sun had added a heart ,personnely im gald they didn't .jejejejejejejjejjhahahahhahhahahahLMAO

Edited by Florida Sun