In all seriousness, DCP readers, John did a fantastic job in his review and really touched upon the key issues in a very frank and well-thought out way. I humbly tip my official Drum Corps Fan Cap to him. Those who know me will recognize that sucker.

I'll see if I can throw in some of my fun craziness to look at the Scarnton contest in a bit of a different dimension. The dimension of Baritonality. If Jim Prime, Sr. used the term, it must be real and it must therefore exist. :worthy:

I got there 50 minutes early to the show and got a good parking spot. if you plan on going get there at worst 45 minutes early to find some kind of reasonable parking near the Turkey Hill and Sonic across from the stadium.

The concessions at this show are normally very good, quick, and efficient. This year, they appeared to be overwhelmed and understaffed. If that continues, you may need to get there earlier yet to wait in line for your soda and candy bar.

Anyhow, it was just good to run into a lot of people before the show. As Frank Dorritie has described it, a "Gathering of the Tribes" indeed takes place.

The only problem was that I barely piled into the stands in time to see Bush kick off the show. My seat was 7 rows down on the 50, but someone was kind enough to point out an empty seat that high up on the Side 2 40 for me to dive into to watch Bush before I got to my actual seat. I do apologize to Bush for not being in my normal perfect vantage point, but I still got a good look and listen from there. If I've seen the corps before, check my earlier reviews for more program information and details.

The big issues right now with Bush from my perspective is that at times, the hornline needs to reach more of a homogenous ensemble sound. Every so often some folks stick out, and that can be a tough thing to balance out with a smaller ensemble. I have to wonder if it might have been people diving out and holding back out of nerves rather than any particular individual overplaying.

The brass solo work was excellent. I really have to tip my cap to all of them. Spot on, and musical.

The horns can really play with some strength and authority, especially as the show wound on. It's clear everyone knows what to do and how to do it- it's just not happening until everyone feels settled into the program.

It's time for a Big W Pep talk to the Bush horn line:

Look- I personally have no doubt you cats can play the heck out of this show. But, I'm not the one out there playing! It's time for some of you to look in the mirror, set that aussie hat on your head with the brim down, and tell yourselves, "I've worked my can off in practice, I have my act together, I KNOW this show, and I'm getting out there and DOING it, and doing it WELL." :satisfied: If I didn't think the show was attainable, I wouldn't be telling you this. Be not afraid! :satisfied:

I think they can really get some good traction this weekend and set themselves up to make finals, but they need to "BELIEVE" in themselves and be as great as they personally can be to make it happen. Get rid of the nerves and the hesitancy, and all will be well in Bushwackerland.

Next up, the White Sabres, who continue to put forth a strong and nuanced effort. They seem to have cracked their heads on some kind of a scoring force field, and hopefully they can blast through it the coming weekend. I look at notes, and I have to say the percussion feature was a particularly fine moment, and their percussion shouldn't be overlooked. Another effect that came off well was when the corps plays backfield. Many larger groups fall flat on their faces when they do this, but the White Sabres really came off well, and it sounded great. That takes some serious panache, and I'm impressed.

I mentioned in my Downingtown review how much I liked the timbre of the brass ensemble, even though it was brighter-sounding than the average because it's a bit top heavy in numbers. I still hold to that. If you only have so much beef to throw into the stew pot, you can wish for more, but it's not gonna appear outta thin air. I think the corps does exceptionally well with the instrumentation they have. I realize this could be a disadvantage when push comes to shove against some of the competitors, but maybe not as much as it could be. I know I'm thinking a bit differently than John here, but it could just be degrees of perception and what angle I'm coming from. It's not anything to get crazy over. :cool:

White Sabres certainly look to get a solid spot in A Finals, and it'll be a tough fight this year for everyone in A. Everyone knows this. The White Sabres didn't look back and moved forward at this point last season when they snatched the last finalist spot with confidence with a late season push, and I would expect the same effort from them this year. I'm looking forward to seeing them Saturday down on the deck at Reading.

The White Sabres are selling their program hard, and they're well worth watching, period.

Windsor Regiment's made a huge improvement over their Bucknell performance. The corps performs with a lot more cohesion and confidence, and a lot of the nuance was very appreciated, particularly the accents in Candide, which practically everyone blows over and ignores when they perform, it, which is one of my pet peeves.

I know there's been a rather at times heated discussion about Front Ensemble Amplification on DCP of late- and there were some moments where a skosh more from the front ensemble would have been nice, and yes-- it would have really helped enhance their program. They just needed a bit more audibility up in the stands to make it better. Not a lot. If yah want to burn the witch, well, you can try. I'm just politely pointing this out. :satisfied:

Their percussion solo was very enjoyable, and "The Rose" still comes of as the show's best moment. I still think the corps will have a very hard fight in front of them to try and take a Class A finalist spot for themselves- They do owe it to themselves to give it a go. Anything can happen.

My thoughts about Sun as they came on the field was whether they could gain back the ground they lost between Bucknell, when they beat Bush, and tonight.

They're getting better, but they need to steepen the improvement curve, and fast. The corps is more cohesive in terms of pulse and ensemble, though I wish the brass would play with a but more fullness on the big statements- they can sound thin at times. The field spread and placements make for some challenging moments for their corps, and they're making those parts work without nervousness and slush, which is a good thing. The Color Guard's very musical, and they do a lot to enhance the big musical moments, which is essential for a good color guard to achieve.

The Low Brass came on solid and hard at the end of the program, and really held up their end of the game admirably.

Back to the issue of amplification, there was a nice moment on the show where one of the marimba/xylo players was demonstrating very solid four mallet technique. It would have been nice to have heard some of what they were playing in the stands. My guess is that the first 10 rows heard it and the percussion judge on-field. Juuuust sayin', peeps.

Sun looks to be on the bubble. I think sticking a fork in them and pronouncing them done is premature and unfair. They need to keep grinding hard, not give up, continue to work on quality and projection, and see where the chips fall at prelims. They owe it to themselves. Things are just so loose and unknown at this point to just throw in the towel. They have a solid enough program and I think the talent to make a run and push.

Break time, folks, 130 AM. Been at this for an hour and a half, slow typist that I am. I just need to take a deep breath and drink some Arnold Palmer Iced tea before I either finish this or turn in for the night. :satisfied:

• Like 6

I realized I really need to finish this before bed and it's quarter after 5 in the morning.

:huh:

Let's roll!

Next up, Fusion.

I did promise the guard at Nokesville I'd talk about them here. I will later on.

It was eye-opening and jaw-dropping to finally see the visual package tied in to the program. The initial field spread and hit in "City of Angels" was pretty daggone impressive. Fusion's also taking some real risks with dividing the ensemble on the field, and it's quite clean, and very impressive. The percussion battery's hard-working, musical, and aggressive. They really have stepped it up this season.

Add to that a great effort from the Front Ensemble and the Mello section, and we had a really exciting performance.

John covers more of the details of the storytelling and does it exceptionally well in his review. I think they'll keep tweaking it to make sure it all makes sense and touches the right emotional strings for everyone. The big thing to keep in mind is that the characters are a nice addition to what is a very substantive musical and visual package. They're not trying to make up for weak arranging and design by adding characters to divert your attention from bad drill or music. The meat is there to start with and from my angle, that's the really important thing to have.

Now, what about that Guard? I know the show wasn't complete for the guard for some time, and there were some changes in staff, and things were finally completed. I know a little about what makes a good guard:

Is their approach to the equipment consistent? To my eye- and I'm not a guard expert, yes.

Does the work enhance the music and flow with the music? Does it relate to it? I felt that way.

Is their timing solid? Are the angles of the equipment the same across the form, the speed of movement, and are the moves done to the music, not mechanically to counts? It sure looked that way to my eye.

Do they look like the only finished the work for the show relatively recently? Not to my eye. Given all of the issues with getting the guard fully prepared, they certainly looked pretty good to me. I'm not a guard expert, but I've been lucky to have been involved with working with good guard people over the years, and I know they're getting the job done and they're certainly not holding the corps back. They should be really proud of their getting through all the negatives to the level that they have. So there yah go, Guard. I did try to watch you all very closely, since you asked me. A definite thumbs up. :thumbup:

Just one complaint about Fusion- there was no Swag to buy at the show! I'd like a T-Shirt, cap, or some kind of cloisonne pin with the uniform pattern on it. You guys are getting a good fan base, people like you, and I'm sure you could sell some stuff, at least to me!

Empire's run was a solid, stout, and inspired performance, the drill more readable and clear then Bucknell. The higher and farther back vantage point was a help, and the corps had a far better handle on their marching. The on-field Mello soloist in Miss Saigon did a fine job.

I know I told Donny Allen in a related thread that when your corps is in the thick of a very competitive hunt, there's nothing that can make you feel more alive. Donny's joy and enthusiasm when he performed would have been readable from a mile away. That's what the activity is in its purest essence. Donny and the other two sideline guns did a spot-on job- as I knew they would. The only worry Donny has might be that the DCI Gestapo might show up and try and cite him for having too much fun and being too happy on a competition field. :satisfied:

I agree with John in that the visual design isn't up to the level of the rest of the package, and it could hold the corps back. It's tough now in DCA if a part of the package isn't up to the level of the rest of it. If the corps isn't chugging along perfectly in every aspect, the going gets much harder at the top.

Next up, the Bucs. Looking at my notes, there was more to see for me in the second read of their show. The guard caught my eye early on- I'm unsure of they were tossing quads or fives early, but it was quite clean and impressive.

The attention to detail and the way the corps goes about performing the show created an overpowering presence as I watched. The percussion needs to watch stepping on the Tuba feature, that was the main issue with the run. The ending was a real slam-bang/knock-em-dead affair, and really finished off the program with a flourish.

The Bucs are definitely a thinking man's corps. I use the term in its traditional usage and meaning, no gender bias intended. :satisfied: Maybe the "Wow!'s" are more subtle until the closer, but I do feel the corps is performing the show with the right combination of fire in the hearts and ice-cool heads. Without control, things could end up a bit too tatty, and with the way MBI is rolling, that wouldn't be a good thing.

I have to compliment the Hurcs- given where the scores have been, I was wondering what happened. They were much better than the scores they were getting might indicate.

Part of the issue is numbers (6FE/4Main guard/2DM/12CG/20 Battery/24 Brass). About a third to 40 percent of the corps disappeared this season.

Their "Rage Against the Machine" program isn't as fan-friendly as last year's British themed show, but it has some solid ideas within it. It looks like the remaining corps members are still veteran, aggressive, confident, and capable, and it gives them a strong edge against some of their potential opponents.

The deceptive ending might be a bit too cute and drag on in parts, and might benefit from some last-minute tweaks/edits. The actual "Down" ending is tough to carry off, and they almost are making it happen- the problem is- does the audience relate well with it? I wasn't certain that they did.

I do know the corps members and their obvious sisu (A Finnish term, look it up, I can think of no better way to describe them) are the strength of the Hurricanes this season, and if they do well this season, they deserve the lion's share of the credit. They have my deep respect.

Cadets 2 came out strong, and showed serious improvement from Downingtown. As always the Percussion was driving the ensemble, I really appreciated the Front Ensemble's clear articulation. The Mello and Trumpet soloists were wonderful. The final hit juuust didn't quite come together at once visually and musically, and it really needs to if they want that impact to have the visceral and emotional impact that it's clearly intended to have.

The brass section has an issue that has to be driving their staff towards insanity. Let me explain. It's been discussed in John's review a bit, and here's the crux of the issue:

The hardest thing to really teach and develop is musicality. The C2 hornline clearly understands exactly how the phrasing , dynamics, and articulation, all those subtle nuances are to be approached in their program. That's the most difficult thing to cultivate and educate. The antiphonal segments were also superb, and that's incredibly difficult to get right.

The thing is, they hang releases and blow attacks here and there, and I know my eyebrows weren't the only ones that were raising in amazement and surprise when it happened. That stuff is the easy stuff to clean and get a brass ensemble to do well. How can they be so daggone nuanced and musical and blow attacks and hang releases like that? It could be the whole ice cool head issue I mentioned earlier. They just need to keep their emotions high, but temper them with some more focus on the simple details and musical exactness is my guess.

C2 has serious momentum on their side. They still have a lot of individual technique to refine further and more details to clean, but they're scoring well and could do some damage. It'll be exciting to see what they can make happen over the next two weekends.

The Cabs are really hitting the crowd this year with some great and exciting moments. They clearly have the passion they need to have and their fans demand, the battery is making great strides, which is helping push the scores higher, and the show is filled with a lot of face-smackin' jaw-droppin' music.

There's also the beautiful moments with the Boccelli, too. The guard is right there, making everything subtly better. The Pit feature is a knockout, and the down ending that was diffused and not happening as well as it needed to be at Bucknell, is working, and working VERY well.

I know the Cabs are trying hard. That Trumpet player who kicked in the big hit at the end of the show 4 counts early is evidence of it. I know at least one fellow Westshoremen is trying to blame ME for that, as is the usual thing, even though I don't play Trumpet. Hey- stuff like that happens, better to get it out of your system now, it won't happen again. Again, you gotta have the cool head to go with the passion. The Cabs will clearly be ready to compete in Annapolis, and to reach out to the crowd and excite them in a serious way. My notes say the show has explosive potential. Definitely. I look forward to seeing it at Prelims.

I'll get up the conclusions and the fist-bumpin' cat later today. 640AM, and my eyes are burning. :satisfied:

• Like 3

As usual... a home run, W!!!

And thanks for the menu recommendation at the Glider Diner Saturday night. That pork sandwich was awesome!!! :thumbup:

And thanks for the menu recommendation at the Glider Diner Saturday night. That pork sandwich was awesome!!! :thumbup:/>

Fran ... are you announcing in Bpt this Sat?

:-)

In all seriousness, DCP readers, John did a fantastic job in his review and really touched upon the key issues in a very frank and well-thought out way. I humbly tip my official Drum Corps Fan Cap to him. Those who know me will recognize that sucker.

I'll see if I can throw in some of my fun craziness to look at the Scarnton contest in a bit of a different dimension. The dimension of Baritonality. If Jim Prime, Sr. used the term, it must be real and it must therefore exist. :worthy:/>/>

I got there 50 minutes early to the show and got a good parking spot. if you plan on going get there at worst 45 minutes early to find some kind of reasonable parking near the Turkey Hill and Sonic across from the stadium.

The concessions at this show are normally very good, quick, and efficient. This year, they appeared to be overwhelmed and understaffed. If that continues, you may need to get there earlier yet to wait in line for your soda and candy bar.

Anyhow, it was just good to run into a lot of people before the show. As Frank Dorritie has described it, a "Gathering of the Tribes" indeed takes place.

The only problem was that I barely piled into the stands in time to see Bush kick off the show. My seat was 7 rows down on the 50, but someone was kind enough to point out an empty seat that high up on the Side 2 40 for me to dive into to watch Bush before I got to my actual seat. I do apologize to Bush for not being in my normal perfect vantage point, but I still got a good look and listen from there. If I've seen the corps before, check my earlier reviews for more program information and details.

The big issues right now with Bush from my perspective is that at times, the hornline needs to reach more of a homogenous ensemble sound. Every so often some folks stick out, and that can be a tough thing to balance out with a smaller ensemble. I have to wonder if it might have been people diving out and holding back out of nerves rather than any particular individual overplaying.

The brass solo work was excellent. I really have to tip my cap to all of them. Spot on, and musical.

The horns can really play with some strength and authority, especially as the show wound on. It's clear everyone knows what to do and how to do it- it's just not happening until everyone feels settled into the program.

It's time for a Big W Pep talk to the Bush horn line:

Look- I personally have no doubt you cats can play the heck out of this show. But, I'm not the one out there playing! It's time for some of you to look in the mirror, set that aussie hat on your head with the brim down, and tell yourselves, "I've worked my can off in practice, I have my act together, I KNOW this show, and I'm getting out there and DOING it, and doing it WELL." :satisfied:/>/> If I didn't think the show was attainable, I wouldn't be telling you this. Be not afraid! :satisfied:/>/>

I think they can really get some good traction this weekend and set themselves up to make finals, but they need to "BELIEVE" in themselves and be as great as they personally can be to make it happen. Get rid of the nerves and the hesitancy, and all will be well in Bushwackerland.

Next up, the White Sabres, who continue to put forth a strong and nuanced effort. They seem to have cracked their heads on some kind of a scoring force field, and hopefully they can blast through it the coming weekend. I look at notes, and I have to say the percussion feature was a particularly fine moment, and their percussion shouldn't be overlooked. Another effect that came off well was when the corps plays backfield. Many larger groups fall flat on their faces when they do this, but the White Sabres really came off well, and it sounded great. That takes some serious panache, and I'm impressed.

I mentioned in my Downingtown review how much I liked the timbre of the brass ensemble, even though it was brighter-sounding than the average because it's a bit top heavy in numbers. I still hold to that. If you only have so much beef to throw into the stew pot, you can wish for more, but it's not gonna appear outta thin air. I think the corps does exceptionally well with the instrumentation they have. I realize this could be a disadvantage when push comes to shove against some of the competitors, but maybe not as much as it could be. I know I'm thinking a bit differently than John here, but it could just be degrees of perception and what angle I'm coming from. It's not anything to get crazy over. :cool:/>/>

White Sabres certainly look to get a solid spot in A Finals, and it'll be a tough fight this year for everyone in A. Everyone knows this. The White Sabres didn't look back and moved forward at this point last season when they snatched the last finalist spot with confidence with a late season push, and I would expect the same effort from them this year. I'm looking forward to seeing them Saturday down on the deck at Reading.

The White Sabres are selling their program hard, and they're well worth watching, period.

Windsor Regiment's made a huge improvement over their Bucknell performance. The corps performs with a lot more cohesion and confidence, and a lot of the nuance was very appreciated, particularly the accents in Candide, which practically everyone blows over and ignores when they perform, it, which is one of my pet peeves.

I know there's been a rather at times heated discussion about Front Ensemble Amplification on DCP of late- and there were some moments where a skosh more from the front ensemble would have been nice, and yes-- it would have really helped enhance their program. They just needed a bit more audibility up in the stands to make it better. Not a lot. If yah want to burn the witch, well, you can try. I'm just politely pointing this out. :satisfied:/>/>

Their percussion solo was very enjoyable, and "The Rose" still comes of as the show's best moment. I still think the corps will have a very hard fight in front of them to try and take a Class A finalist spot for themselves- They do owe it to themselves to give it a go. Anything can happen.

My thoughts about Sun as they came on the field was whether they could gain back the ground they lost between Bucknell, when they beat Bush, and tonight.

They're getting better, but they need to steepen the improvement curve, and fast. The corps is more cohesive in terms of pulse and ensemble, though I wish the brass would play with a but more fullness on the big statements- they can sound thin at times. The field spread and placements make for some challenging moments for their corps, and they're making those parts work without nervousness and slush, which is a good thing. The Color Guard's very musical, and they do a lot to enhance the big musical moments, which is essential for a good color guard to achieve.

The Low Brass came on solid and hard at the end of the program, and really held up their end of the game admirably.

Back to the issue of amplification, there was a nice moment on the show where one of the marimba/xylo players was demonstrating very solid four mallet technique. It would have been nice to have heard some of what they were playing in the stands. My guess is that the first 10 rows heard it and the percussion judge on-field. Juuuust sayin', peeps.

Sun looks to be on the bubble. I think sticking a fork in them and pronouncing them done is premature and unfair. They need to keep grinding hard, not give up, continue to work on quality and projection, and see where the chips fall at prelims. They owe it to themselves. Things are just so loose and unknown at this point to just throw in the towel. They have a solid enough program and I think the talent to make a run and push.

Break time, folks, 130 AM. Been at this for an hour and a half, slow typist that I am. I just need to take a deep breath and drink some Arnold Palmer Iced tea before I either finish this or turn in for the night. :satisfied:/>/>

from what ive been told the spot you call a tuba feature is a percussion feature

Edited by BR11

from what ive been told the spot you call a tuba feature is a percussion feature

Yes. It brings up a good point and some serious thoughts on my part.

Just because it's a percussion feature with tuba accompaniment, it doesn't necessarily mean that the percussion can do what it wants to at that point. The Tubas are in there for a reason- the reasons likely being to add effect, to add variety, and to do something unexpected and different to excite/please/intrigue/take your pick of effect words the audience.

Right now, the battery pushed too hard on the tubas and makes their contribution a bit inaudible. Some of the details of what they're performing are getting covered.

I know if John mentioned it in his review and I wrote it in my notes I took during the performance, there has to be something to it. We're two very different guys, both observant as heck, but looking at the same object from a bit of a different angle, which to me is cool. When we're both seeing this as an issue- yeah, there's gotta be something to it. :satisfied:

• Like 1

And thanks for the menu recommendation at the Glider Diner Saturday night. That pork sandwich was awesome!!! :thumbup:/>

Was great to see yah Fran. Given the over-crowded food stand, I was getting a bit peckish! :cool:

Porketta is cool. The nearby Glider Diner is the only place I know of in the universe that has that on the menu. Great comfort food. :thumbup:

I didnt blame you for the trumpet thing.

everything else yes

:tongue:/>

good review

Conclusions:

- The Hurcs are starting to get traction. Where can they go with it?

-Sun and Windsor are improving and are starting to present well, gain confidence in the program, and the shows are making sense. Is it enough?

-Bush is also getting better. Can the newer additions to the brass get comfortable and confident?

Empire- Is there enough in the visual package to carry the corps with good momentum into Finals weekend? Will the DCI correctness police catch up to Donny and tell him to stop making the fans enjoy the show?

-White Sabres hold their destiny in their hands. They have a very solid corps.

-Can the Cabs dot the I's and cross the T's and really blow up the Stadium in Annapolis?

-Will the C2 Brass line clean up or will the Brass techs go insane in front of everyone when someone hangs a release?

-Will the Bucs make their already powerful field presence even greater and hold off those crazy Minnesota cult people? From the looks of it, they will need to.

Now, it's

fistbump.png

time! Remember, I try not to repeat awards in a corps unless some one really shows me something I think might go underappreciated.

Bush: Their Bari soloist.

White Sabers: The Bass Drums.

Sun: The Color Guard.

Fusion: The Mello Section. Outstanding effort! Also the Guard for putting everything together very well with all the difficulties leading up to recently.

Empire: The Bass Drums.

Hurcs: Everyone gets one. It's a team effort, and they're all real fighters and scrappy as heck. :worthy:/>

C2: The Trumpet and Mello feature performers.

The Cabs: The Front Ensemble and Bass Drums. There are a lot of extremely good things happening if one listens deep and appreciates. Everyone knows Frank Ponzo's been lights out/drop dead fantastic, but I wanted to mention he's taking the Ponzosphere to greater altitudes this year. He's really got those who know nodding their heads when he's playing. I gotta give him one!

Next stop, Big Sounds. See you there!

Edited by BigW
  • Like 2

Fran ... are you announcing in Bpt this Sat?

:-)

:tongue: