I did realize I owe Amy Snook and Tom Moore one for putting up with me. They do a great job behind the scenes to make the Downingtown and Big Sounds show go well and keep everyone happy. Not an easy task. They fit that "people who do a lot of work and don't get noticed" criteria. I also will call out the gentleman on Tuba with the beard. Fear the Beard! :worthy:/> Also, the young lady with the ankle trouble. I was told she'll be fine and hope that she is. It was a good call on her part to clear out of the way when she realized things weren't right. Heads up decisions like that in the thick of a competition performance are dificult.

Bob:

I assure you that there are people who work much harder than me to make Big Sounds and Downingtown happen as well as they do. We simply couldn't do what we do without the dedicated and talented support of lots of people. I'm just the lucky sap who got to talk with you and share your reaction to the Bucs' performance. We're glad you enjoy both shows and appreciate your patronage!

Safe travels to Annapolis!

Bob:

I assure you that there are people who work much harder than me to make Big Sounds and Downingtown happen as well as they do. We simply couldn't do what we do without the dedicated and talented support of lots of people. I'm just the lucky sap who got to talk with you and share your reaction to the Bucs' performance. We're glad you enjoy both shows and appreciate your patronage!

Helping park cars is no picnic, Tom! Especially when everyone's scrambling to get the parking next to the stadium. True. I know I've got to be missing another dozen people. Show committes and teams are an incredibly involved thing. As a fundraiser, contests can be critical for a corps and have to be successful.

Go figure. I signed up because of a particular service project my chapter was getting started on that really struck home with me. I didn't really care much for the who was doing it, so much as the what that was being done. That's cool to know! thumbup.gif

Eta Rho Chapter was still trying to get rolling when I graduated at WCU. Talking to the actives over the past several years, they've made the chapter blossom and really work to make sure everything is done the way it should be, including the service aspect. Us older peeps are really proud of them.

Sometimes- just trying to make a new kid in the band feel like they belong there and welcome in the organization- that, too is what KKY is all about.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

Conclusions and Fistbumps time!

I did realize I owe Amy Snook and Tom Moore one for putting up with me. They do a great job behind the scenes to make the Downingtown and Big Sounds show go well and keep everyone happy. Not an easy task. They fit that "people who do a lot of work and don't get noticed" criteria. I also will call out the gentleman on Tuba with the beard. Fear the Beard! :worthy:/> Also, the young lady with the ankle trouble. I was told she'll be fine and hope that she is. It was a good call on her part to clear out of the way when she realized things weren't right. Heads up decisions like that in the thick of a competition performance are dificult.

Next up: Friday I and E, and Saturday Prelims! I look forward to making new friends, seeing old ones, seeing more Kappa brothers, which is always an honor and pleasure, and experiencing some great performances. See you there!!!!! :thumbup:/>

Big W:

Thank you for your kind words. Tom Moore is one of many people I can ask to do a thankless job like parking cars who say, "Sure, I can help with that," although he had other duties to attend to. People are surprised that chairing an event like this is an unpaid volunteer job. My payment is when I see the crowd response for ALL corps, not just the home team, but for the Class A and Open Class corps, and seeing folks in their 80s and 20s in awe at the performances. Drum corps is well-loved in Reading (even if some folks here think we're a semi-pro football team. :doh: )

See you in Annapolis.

Big W:

Drum corps is well-loved in Reading (even if some folks here think we're a semi-pro football team. :doh:/> )

See you in Annapolis.

That's okay Amy. Prior to my marching in Bucs of course I was in Sunrisers and people thought we were a swim club.

OT...just read the other day that John Phillip Sousa, I guess you could say the ultimate godfather of Drum Corps died in Reading.

Bob:

Tom - As a former Corps Director of Minnesota Brass I have to say that my respect for your corps is unbounded. I agree that the supporting staff of the DCA corps often go unheralded, and that's a shame! There are so many terrific members of DCA corps that work tirelessly behind the scenes to make the corps what they are today. Yet they rarely get to share the spotlight.

But it takes someone like you to inspire that dedication to the corps and that's no small feat. The attitude of the whole organization trickles down from the top. DCA is better off with people involved such as yourself!

--Ron Haselius

• Like 2

Ron.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I appreciate you highlighting the untiring work of so many behind the scenes to make a great drum corps experience possible for our members, even if you overstate my own contributions to the effort. Quite simply, I'm a Buccaneer and that label is one I'm extremely proud to wear, and I'm honored to put whatever talent I may have to use to help the organization. My own public words and actions on behalf of the corps are simply a reflection of the many, many incredible people who are a part of it.

We're thrilled that people enjoyed Big Sounds in Motion and took the time to express it here. We look forward to having you as our guests in 2014!

That's okay Amy. Prior to my marching in Bucs of course I was in Sunrisers and people thought we were a swim club.

OT...just read the other day that John Phillip Sousa, I guess you could say the ultimate godfather of Drum Corps died in Reading.

Sousa had people come before him, too. I recommend finding a good recording- and they're out there- of the "Washington Grays March" by Grafulla, written in 1861. One of the earliest American marches that's still performed regularly. Find one that plays it at a moderate tempo, not too fast.

Another old Italian march I also recommend, which I believe dates back to that era is "La Banda Nascente", which I played with a local concert band years ago. The Euphonium parts in the Trio are to kill for, and I'd love to play that one again.

Yeah, I got a serious love for old marches as a kid before I went to corps by playing in some local adult concert bands. There's a lot in those compositions people gloss over, which is shameful.

Marches are a Euphonium player's heaven because they have real parts and demand musicianship and skill. About the only guy who could write stuff like that for us BITD was Frank Doritte in 82 and 83 at Westshore, which we all thanked and continue to thank him for writing. :satisfied:

You had to bring up Marches.... Just one of those things I love so much. :satisfied:

Sousa had people come before him, too. I recommend finding a good recording- and they're out there- of the "Washington Grays March" by Grafulla, written in 1861. One of the earliest American marches that's still performed regularly. Find one that plays it at a moderate tempo, not too fast.

Another old Italian march I also recommend, which I believe dates back to that era is "La Banda Nascente", which I played with a local concert band years ago. The Euphonium parts in the Trio are to kill for, and I'd love to play that one again.

Yeah, I got a serious love for old marches as a kid before I went to corps by playing in some local adult concert bands. There's a lot in those compositions people gloss over, which is shameful.

Marches are a Euphonium player's heaven because they have real parts and demand musicianship and skill. About the only guy who could write stuff like that for us BITD was Frank Doritte in 82 and 83 at Westshore, which we all thanked and continue to thank him for writing. satisfied.gif

You had to bring up Marches.... Just one of those things I love so much. satisfied.gif

I dig the version of Washington Grays recorded back in the 80s by the Michigan Symphony Band under H Robert Reynolds...lots of powerful hairy-chested low brass at a measured tempo. My best Sousa recording also features the Michigan Band from the 1960s under the legendary William D. Revelli...a 100 piece band that is as tight and musically cohesive as a chamber group.....unbelievable precision and attention to every phrasing detail....well worth checking it out....entitled 'Hail Sousa.'

Edited by brichtimp

I dig the version of Washington Grays recorded back in the 80s by the Michigan Symphony Band under H Robert Reynolds...lots of powerful hairy-chested low brass at a measured tempo. My best Sousa recording also features the Michigan Band from the 1960s under the legendary William D. Revelli...a 100 piece band that is as tight and musically cohesive as a chamber group.....unbelievable precision and attention to every phrasing detail....well worth checking it out....entitled 'Hail Sousa.'

I remember seeing a documentary in the late 60's/early 70's on Revelli (RIP) and the Michigan Band ... and I thought, this is not your father's marching band ...

:-)