Ohio State University

1. That was really impressive considering it's difficult to see the yard lines.

2. It was really refreshing to be able to actually hear woodwinds in a college marching band. Those piccolos have some power.

Michigan's band can really play. First time I saw them live they opened with the finale to Tchaikovsky's 4th and it was crystal clean. I was gobsmacked.

That'd be a really fun thing to play with for a corps encore performance that ends after nightfall.

Are there many venues that are large (high) enough to be able to appreciate such a spectacle?

Are there many venues that are large (high) enough to be able to appreciate such a spectacle?

BAC 75th anniversary home show at Foxboro. It'd be worth it even if they could only do it once.

I saw the Oz show in person last night, since they performed at the end of the Buckeye Invitational band competition. It was very entertaining.

Speaking of the Buckeye Invitational: as usual with OMEA, it's near impossible to find scores, rankings, ratings, etc. online for that all-day contest. I read that Lakota West had the highest score overall, and that the East Syracuse-Minoa (one of two New York bands--both five-time champions in that state--who were competing in Ohio that day; the other was Orchard Park, who performed at Norton) were second in their class, but that's it.

And to bring my post on topic: besides Sky Ryders, OSU's Oz show might also bring to mind, among others, Genesis last year and, especially because of the use of fire extinguishers, Empire Statesmen in 2010.

Speaking of the Buckeye Invitational: as usual with OMEA, it's near impossible to find scores, rankings, ratings, etc. online for that all-day contest. I read that Lakota West had the highest score overall, and that the East Syracuse-Minoa (one of two New York bands--both five-time champions in that state--who were competing in Ohio that day; the other was Orchard Park, who performed at Norton) were second in their class, but that's it.

And to bring my post on topic: besides Sky Ryders, OSU's Oz show might also bring to mind, among others, Genesis last year and, especially because of the use of fire extinguishers, Empire Statesmen in 2010.

I emailed them for a history of that contest several weeks ago ( my band won it in the past, and another band in the district wins it every year they try and are eligible and I was trying to do an alumni thing for a district event coming up soon); the response I got was:

"Unfortunately we do not have any records from year to year. After the event last year we published the results online but took them down after a couple weeks. I would suggest checking with OMEA to see if they have any records. If you have any additional questions please let me know."

...and to get my post on topic, I like Sky Ryder's version of that stuff the best, BUT Genesis' show was good. Crown's over the Rainbow from their '09 show was fine, BUT my Cavaliers corps song is pretty nifty too, even though it's not all Rainbow....

Edited by jjeffeory

I think the OSU band is causing a few of the other Big10 bands to raise their level of show design a little in terms of entertainment value as viewed through the eyes of their football audiences.

I think this is happening nationally. I saw that the University of Virginia marching band also somewhat formed some stick figures on the field for a latin dance tune.

I think this is happening nationally. I saw that the University of Virginia marching band also somewhat formed some stick figures on the field for a latin dance tune.

Yes they did. They're going to be doing it next week too! Im not in the band anymore but i saw some of the drill theyre using for next weeks game from some friends.

Here was the October 18 show, a classic rock tribute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UFW72NeTgg

Some clever drill pictures again, but in terms of musical performance, I thought this show needed a major kick in the pants in the energy department. Let 'er rip, and let's get some Madison screamers up there, not a brass quintet. I don't think DCI GE judges would have been happy either. Reminded me of Mantovani covering the Stones. Maybe it had more musical energy in the Shoe.

Note to self: Use free time to create Big 10 Band Planet.

Hey, according to some people, if you wait long enough that's what DCP will become :ninja::peek:

Including 200-300 members of the field? LOL