Crossmen 2014

DCFAN

I can understand some of Ray's point. As a member of Tarheel Sun, Al DiCroce wrote our brass book and BK's in 1999. We felt like red-headed step children when Al spent most of his time with BK and left us, with all due respect to Al, to fester with a turd all season. We obviously weren't on the level of BK that season, but we probably wouldn't have dropped as suddenly at the end as we did if our designer/caption-head was there for us. .

I'm not worried about Chuck playing favorites or diminishing his quality for the sake of the color of the uniform as he said. Merely bringing up my perspective as a member. All the best!

In fairness to Al and historical accuracy; Al really did not spend a great deal of time with BK in '99. He was out for a week in July, 3-4 winter camps, and he was around a bit finals week. I cannot speak to what Al did with his time away from BK in '99, but he really was not around us a ton.

I can understand some of Ray's point. As a member of Tarheel Sun, Al DiCroce wrote our brass book and BK's in 1999. We felt like red-headed step children when Al spent most of his time with BK and left us, with all due respect to Al, to fester with a turd all season. We obviously weren't on the level of BK that season, but we probably wouldn't have dropped as suddenly at the end as we did if our designer/caption-head was there for us. .

I'm not worried about Chuck playing favorites or diminishing his quality for the sake of the color of the uniform as he said. Merely bringing up my perspective as a member. All the best!

Is it really necessary for the arranger to be around for the entire tour? I don't really know Chuck's style but the years I marched in Crossmen I don't recall the arrangers being around as much as the rest of the other brass staff. In 1996 Jay Bocook was not around, period, other than maybe a few hours. Michael Klesch was around in 1997 and 1998 but he was also the Caption Head.

Chuck is a good arranger(Colts 93 was awesome!). He gets paid to write good arrangements. If his arrangements sucked he would eventually not get hired to write. I think people take the competitive aspect way too far. Yes, I understand it drives the activity to an extent, but when is all said and done scores and placements mean nothing. If you didn't learn this as a marching member than you had a different experience than I did.

Jason obviously knows how to make a brass line sound great and it is sad to see him go. I hope they can find the sweet spot with the staff this year. One thing is for sure I really enjoyed the last two years from the Crossmen more than I have since 2001.

• Like 1

Is it really necessary for the arranger to be around for the entire tour?

Generally, no. But it is up to the arranger and the corps that hires him to stipulate what is "necessary". That can vary a great deal depending on who is expected to make mid-season adjustments, whether the arranger takes on any instructional role, and so forth.

In another thread I posted some comments which have reference to the Crossmen, a corps I have liked and respected since their founding by the merger eons ago. Because of that respect for the corps, past and present, I give the link because I do not want Crossmen fans to feel they are being disrespected or that I am hiding. If you disagree with what I said, that's fine and won't diminish my respect for the legacy that is the Crossmen, no matter what State they currently call home. Just trying to be an honest poster here. http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/157661-2014-show-predictions/page__st__30, post 33.

In another thread I posted some comments which have reference to the Crossmen, a corps I have liked and respected since their founding by the merger eons ago. Because of that respect for the corps, past and present, I give the link because I do not want Crossmen fans to feel they are being disrespected or that I am hiding. If you disagree with what I said, that's fine and won't diminish my respect for the legacy that is the Crossmen, no matter what State they currently call home. Just trying to be an honest poster here. http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/157661-2014-show-predictions/page__st__30, post 33.

Not sure I understand... Do you think the Crossmen do not deserve new uniforms? They've been wearing the same pants and shirts for 10 years. If any corps needs to spend money on this type of thing, it is the Crossmen.

• Like 1

Not sure I understand... Do you think the Crossmen do not deserve new uniforms? They've been wearing the same pants and shirts for 10 years. If any corps needs to spend money on this type of thing, it is the Crossmen.

Reread the post #33 as written. This is also what is said there: "I am not against replacing worn equipment or parts that are unuseable for another season because they are tattered and torn without possibility of good repair."

My vexation is with all the "design of uniform" changes as if "a new look" will improve performance scores on the judging sheets automatically. That's a myth propagated by those who manufacture the uniforms, some who have been known to "help" the person who suggests and enables the change. You know, what lobbyists tend to do.