NEW FORUM SOFTWARE

JohnD

Also, did the "notepad" feature from our settings disappear?

I used to keep all sorts of links there for smileys etc.

Can't find an option for number of posts per page. Just getting 10. Did we lose the ability to individually adjust that setting?

Posted elsewhere before I saw this topic:

I know it's minor, but I miss being able to hover over the topic title and see a preview of the topic AND the option to go to the first unread. Yes, there's a preview "clickie thing" and there is a first unread "clickie thing" on the first page of the topic but still...

And it didn't keep my avatar pic and won't let me browse for it when i try to edit my profile (IE9)...

It would be great if we had "skin" options for darker colors. Too much pastel, its hard to read.

• Like 1

RE-POST:

The decision for the user interface was actually quite simple: use the 'standard' IP.Board 'skin'. In the past, I have spent days customizing (design/code/test) the user interface thru customizations to the 'skin' and other elements of the system - which often must be re-written each time there is a significant upgrade to the system by the publisher. The effect has been that updates to the core system have happened less frequently than optimal - exposing the system and community to all sorts of nefarious things lurking in the interwebs.

With this update, I have decided to use the 'standard' skin - which will make it *much* easier to keep-up with software patches and updates. The features of the system are defined by the publisher of the package we hitched our horse to many years ago, so as they change features - we see those changes. Are there 'better' options out there - sure. Are we going to spend a lot of time exploring them and the migration of 29,000+ users and 2.3 million+ posts - no, we're not.

This really isn't a topic for debate, but rather the reality of my available resources today. We can crave the features we used to have and like ... but its really a moot point, as the software works as it does. If the features of the system or color of the interface cause people to leave, then I'll wish you well on your journey.

We'll do our best to explore this new version with you and explain how things work along the way. Please use the Member Service Center forum to ask your questions - where we can answer them for the benefit of all.

Thanks!

-john

We're not asking for customizable skins, so I don't know where you're going with your drama on that process. 99% of canned software out there has multiple choices of pre-styled skins, with high-contrast color options. This has been possible since Windows 3.1, lol. You even say "standard skin" as if there ARE other options....all you need to do is make them available to users. This isn't even difficult web programming....the tools already exist!

I probably won't leave the site (and you're not concerned anyway, as you took the time to note), but everytime I come here my mind will go through this thought process: "Am I ready to deal with the new visual stress of this site?"

A lot of times, the answer will be "No."

Jeff - it looks like your warning (since you mentioned it) and associated action was something that happened back in 2010. I seem to remember you groveling about this in the basement of LOS that summer.

Not kneeling in a hair shirt at Canossa?

So, I tried to quote some one but it put my reply on top of the quote, which I didn’t like so went to edit it, hit full edit funtion, tried to move my reply under the quote

Got this message below

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

[#20310]

Your secure key, used to verify you are posting the topic, did not match the one submitted. Please go back, reload the form, and try again.

Then we I went back, it kicked me off the site which I googled back to the site to find out I was logged out and my original post was there but without any edit

My other board dumped Invision long ago and went with a phpBB open source with great results, just saying