Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

They marched a woman in the American flag section at 1980 VFW Nationals too. Make it at least 3 women who've marched with them.

Good point, although was for a singular event in 1980. I was more meaning as part of the show through the entire season.

Going to DOP for the first time since I marched it in '75, I can't wait to see the Kenton/Ellis show! This will be fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So once again, someone popping in here and making it about the new BRASS instruments. Of course woodwinds just got mentioned, but you were fine with Bb, electronics, etc.?

As a PROUD Madison Scouts alum, I am not going to abandon the activity, nor my younger brothers, that's not the value system I learned when I was marching.

I was taught not to do these types of things, but rather be supportive, and value my brotherhood, and all my brothers, past, present, and future.

Since you mentioned it (and somehow seem to ASSUME no one had a problem with it), I've had one foot out the door since electronics were introduced. I even had a pretty heated discussion with former Scout Pat Seidling about it. I definitely did NOT like the introduction of the Bb horns and have not been a fan of the look or the sound since. That was the beginning for me. My involvement with the activity has steadily declined with the addition of amplification and, finally, the use of electronics.

I don't go to drum corps shows to hear a person chant into a microphone. I don't go to hear a piano concerto played on a synthesizer. And I certainly don't go to see sousaphones, French horns and trombones. I can watch some pretty good bands in my area if I want to see all of those things. No need to travel long distances and pay ridiculous ticket prices.

As to your further point about blind support....ummmm, no, I seem to remember being taught to be strong in what you believe in, stand on principle, and conduct yourself with a strong moral guidance. The brotherhood was part of that, but at some point I won't have a brotherhood surrounding me and I have to be a man and stand on my own...on a strong foundation. That's what drum corps and the Madison Scouts taught me.

So, given your interpretation of that lesson, if they come out and with sparklers between the cheeks and perform a ensemble fart rendition of "Stars and Stripes", I assume you'll be there to pat them on the back and be supportive? Or do you too have a line in the sand? Just curious.

• Like 1

I'd support them, because they're my brothers and I'm not an elitist who thinks my generation and the type of horns I played on, or what new rules are passed do not make me love my corps less.

• Like 3

Oh, and Pat Seidling is STILL a Scout, as I am, and just as you are.

Guess we're going to disagree on the lessons.

I'd support them, because they're my brothers and I'm not an elitist who thinks my generation and the type of horns I played on, or what new rules are passed do not make me love my corps less.

Ah, that nefarious "elitist" label. Part of the "don't judge me" movement. Apparently that word has been redefined to mean "a person who stands on principle", because that's the case here. Everyone has to have a line in the sand, otherwise you are incapable of sitting in judgement of anything and, therefore, must accept and support everything. I don't choose to be that way. I don't have to blindly support anyone or anything...even my brothers...if they are doing things I disagree with. That's called individuality.

It's obvious that DCI has sold out to chase band parents and new fans, rather than trying to retain the older, established fans. If you played football growing up, you probably still watch it and maybe even attend games. However, DCI is bleeding legacy fans faster than any niche activity I've ever seen. More power to them. I just choose not to support it.

• Like 1

It's obvious that DCI has sold out to chase band parents and new fans, rather than trying to retain the older, established fans. If you played football growing up, you probably still watch it and maybe even attend games. However, DCI is bleeding legacy fans faster than any niche activity I've ever seen. More power to them. I just choose not to support it.

But you'll stick around here to complain.

Football and drum corps are nowhere near alike. Drum corps is a niche activity, football has millions of people watching it every Saturday and Sunday

• Like 1