Spirit of Atlanta...

JKT90

On this day July 8th Thirty-four years ago Spirit of Atlanta's history was changed forever...

The corps was gathered in a gymnasium in Memphis,Tenn and the marching instructor, Ralph Pace, uttered words that sent ripples through DCI and every corps associated with it. "...the staff van was in a wreck last night, and Jim didn't make it".

R.I.P - Jim Ott.

Anyone have the some insight as to if/when/how they will overhaul this show to disprove the nay-sayers that don't think they can squeeze into finals?

I don't think they need to overhaul the show at all - a few changes are needed. They should place 10th, possibly 11th

I don't think they need to overhaul the show at all - a few changes are needed. They should place 10th, possibly 11th

RIght now they are fighting for 12th. They are in 13th with a score dropping. Right now 12th is looking like the best shot. 11th place is 3 points away possibly more after tonights scores come out.

well I just saw them Sunday night and they reeked of an 11th place, possibly 10th place corps - so I guess time will tell

Spirit won't beat BAC, BK, Madison, Blue Stars, so 10th, 11th looks like a real stretch to me. They have a shot to make Finals however, but they'll have their hands full with the Troopers, and possibly even the Crossmen.

I know we can't read a lot into rankings, but Spirit is sitting in 15th right now. Sin City and Speakeasy are some of the most creative, artistic, and accessible shows to come out of this decade of DCI, I believe. Seems like the "Southern corps" mistake has been made again. Spirit: please stop trying to be the "Southern corps." Like several other corps, your shtick is holding you back. You had something great going the past few years and you completely got rid of what made you good, unique, and entertaining.

I know we can't read a lot into rankings, but Spirit is sitting in 15th right now. Sin City and Speakeasy are some of the most creative, artistic, and accessible shows to come out of this decade of DCI, I believe. Seems like the "Southern corps" mistake has been made again. Spirit: please stop trying to be the "Southern corps." Like several other corps, your shtick is holding you back. You had something great going the past few years and you completely got rid of what made you good, unique, and entertaining.

meh -- the broadway schtik was wearing thin (IMHO at least).

i don't disagree with your point about "the southern corps" however.

• Like 1

As an SoA alum, I don't get, never have, never will, why the Board, I assume it's the Board of Directors that control this, puts them in a box and says you are a "Southern" corps, so play Southern stuff. I haven't seen their show this year, but honestly when I heard the show was "Magnolia" I was kind of like ugh...ok. I thought Sin City was great and they were onto something there. Of course now I have a hard time watching Gone with the Wind being that I heard it and played 1200xs that summer...

I "think" it goes back to 1988 and 1989 when they ventured off into new waters, '89 they missed finals with Interstellar Suite, and then went back to "Southern"...I don't get it, they frustrate me sometimes...TOOOO much talent in the South and we loss them to Cavies, Phantom, Coats, Cadets, Madison, Crown, even the design staffs, instructors many of which are from the area but their corps is somewhere else...makes me think of a college football coach...first order of business is win the recruiting battle in your state, then your surrounding states...if SoA could do that they'd have the talent to be top 5 every year (assuming their staff was of equal level of course).

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 1