Spirit of Atlanta...

JKT90

meh -- the broadway schtik was wearing thin (IMHO at least).

i don't disagree with your point about "the southern corps" however.

I get where you are coming from. I spoke to a former member who said it seemed like they were just doing the same show every year.

I know we can't read a lot into rankings, but Spirit is sitting in 15th right now. Sin City and Speakeasy are some of the most creative, artistic, and accessible shows to come out of this decade of DCI, I believe. Seems like the "Southern corps" mistake has been made again. Spirit: please stop trying to be the "Southern corps." Like several other corps, your shtick is holding you back. You had something great going the past few years and you completely got rid of what made you good, unique, and entertaining.

Honestly it's not the Southern theme that holding them back, but the implementation of it. "Southern" covers a pretty vast and diverse repertoire of music. It seems like Spirit wants to make itself the Southern corps, but is too afraid or embarrassed to fully invest in the idea. That's the problem, IMO. The "schtick" is only limiting if Spirit lets it be limiting.

Maybe part of the problem this year is that they've chosen to go with a bare-bones show when the top corps are laden with props, acting, etc. They picked a "Southern" name, put some flowers in the guard's hair, and then didn't do anything else with it. The videos I've seen show just marching and playing. I feel like the Scouts are in the same boat. You can't just march and play anymore.

Edited by lowend

I've heard that they are adding some props, etc., but aren't doing it until the San Antonio regional. I just hope it's not too little too late.

I'm afraid that by waiting so long to add things that will hopefully add general effect, they're digging a hole for themselves that will be difficult to climb out of -- and I'm as big a Spirit honk as you'll find anywhere.

That said, I'm certainly not ready to count them out of the Saturday night show yet.

I like their show. But not at the level of the top 10 in the end.

I'm surprised NO ONE has commented on the flag staffs used by the guard which IMHO fits the Magnolia theme. And yes, there will be additions to the show.

My issue is that they seem to be taking a step backwards this summer. It's hard to disagree that this show is lacking when compared to the past three years (2011 was an instant classic, and 2012 & 2013 were excellent even if they were variations of 2011). Of course change was expected, what with the new staff and leadership plus the youth infusion into the corps, but not to the point where it seems like regression. This show as it stands would've been fantastic in the 80s, but not in the present.

I wouldn't write them off just yet, but they need to start adding in stuff well before San Antonio. If they hold out too long, the gap between them and the 12th place corps might be too large to overcome.

Edited by mhall1183
  • Like 1

Maybe part of the problem this year is that they've chosen to go with a bare-bones show when the top corps are laden with props, acting, etc. They picked a "Southern" name, put some flowers in the guard's hair, and then didn't do anything else with it. The videos I've seen show just marching and playing. I feel like the Scouts are in the same boat. You can't just march and play anymore.

You really can't. GE demands so much more than that anymore. I think it's unfortunate, but it's true. When I watch a show these days, I ignore everything but the drums, brass, and guard, because that's really all I want to see. If there is more than 10 secs of narration in a show, it's hot dog time for me.

• Like 2

I am not writing them off quite yet, either, but the show has some real problems:

Trying to find that at least one real special and UNIQUE moment in the show- it is not there yet.

The intro performed perfectly will still be ho hum, been there done that.

Overall visual program and especially the guard had made big strides the past four or so years, this is a step back. Though there does not have to be a theme necessarily, something has to tie the show together. And let me state that though I hear news of a big magnolia tree being added, I am afraid it will be just that, a big magnolia tree and not something that excites or gets points. I hope they are not relying on that to be their magic pill. Though some moments have a sort of "southern" sound or reminiscence, again, it is not throughout nor special. GE is about coordination, pacing, excellence, and communication. The later comes easiest when the former are written into the show so that at least we react even when things are not clean. Loud arrivals and tosses seem to be the extent of their effect rep. The first half has the most communication and best pacing. The second half seems like a completely different show and I find I just loose all interest.

Okay, some positives:

The brass are again the strong suit of the corps.

The guard costumes are a beautiful color.

The baby blue on the unis looks great on the field (don't like the retro look however. much preferred

the recent uni. This one doesn't say "take me seriously as an up and coming unit".)

There are some strong soloists.

The batterie has some good moments.

The pit writing is tasty.

"Willow Weep" sells well and the hit is their best moment. (wish guard contribution was stronger there).

Lastly. About this "southern identity" thing. I have enjoyed watching the corps grow the past four or so years and was a big fan of the niche they had carved for themselves. That is so hard to do in modern drum corps times. They were not like anyone else, kept enough swing or jazz to connect to old Spirit, finding show themes that would allow them to do that. They found a way to play classical and film music so that the source music had more depth and room for creativity. The complete "southern theme" well is extremely shallow. I assume that is why they moved away from it, and look what it did for them. Make no mistake, again in this modern top 12 drum corps world, you don't just move up every year no matter how good you are. Look at what is on the field this year alone. Wow! The depth keeps getting better and better. You have to get in and stay in. You have to be unique. You have to be patient if moving up is your goal. You have to keep staff and members. Some one mentioned that the corps should go ahead and go full out already with the southern theme. Problem is, what is that exactly and can you keep going to that well? So, is it "Gone with the Wind"? , "We Shall Overcome"?, "Porgy and Bess"?, "New Orleans/Mardi Gras/Bourbon Street"? All that in the same show? Its has all been done, over and over and over, marching band and corps, and by SOA, over and over and over again. Had heard as others have mentioned that the board was putting pressure on the program coordinator to go retro. Well, I guess he gave in. Does anyone remember what happened to Madison when the board and old alumni thought they knew what was best? When Phantom's board and old alumni thought they knew what was best? SCV's board and old alumni thought they knew what was best? Most recently, when Cavies board and old alumni thought they knew what was best? Thank God each of those corps has survived, but not without paying with some serious consequences (and these were top 6 corps for decades). Unfortunately,

the members paid the price. The modern day drum corps members simply want to do something they think is cool. Stop trying to relive your old memories through recreating something retro with todays' members; they fell in love with today's drum corps brand, not the 1980's brand.

Edited by westcoastblue
  • Like 3