I have seen absolutely NOTHING in the forums about Plymouth this year...anyone? Anything? Inquiring minds want to know...

• Like 2

I have seen absolutely NOTHING in the forums about Plymouth this year...anyone? Anything? Inquiring minds want to know...

Short review:

Great show!!!! :thumbup:

I performed with the Crusaders Sr. Corps, but bought a ticket and saw everyone but the Conn. Alumni and the Defenders, but heard the Defenders while waiting to go on. I could give a decent report, even though I didn't take notes, but the whole show is on Youtube and you can judge for yourself. Everyone there did a good job, and I was impressed by the Saints, a corps I was not familiar with until seeing the lineup. My only disappointment was that the show was not sold out, especially since the seating capacity is not huge. I keep reading about how drum corps back in the old days, with recognizable music was so great, but alumni shows do not seem to draw the crowds to back this up. The weather for the parade was mild for this time of year, and I got to see most of it since my recent back surgery allowed me to hop into line at the last third of the distance, and my corps was positioned near the end. I was impressed at how well these alumni units performed in the parade, since I realize that it becomes more difficult as one gets older.

The weekend is a fun time with great food at the local restaurants and parties after the show. All we need is more "Classic" drum corps fans.

I performed with the Crusaders Sr. Corps, but bought a ticket and saw everyone but the Conn. Alumni and the Defenders, but heard the Defenders while waiting to go on. I could give a decent report, even though I didn't take notes, but the whole show is on Youtube and you can judge for yourself. Everyone there did a good job, and I was impressed by the Saints, a corps I was not familiar with until seeing the lineup. My only disappointment was that the show was not sold out, especially since the seating capacity is not huge. I keep reading about how drum corps back in the old days, with recognizable music was so great, but alumni shows do not seem to draw the crowds to back this up. The weather for the parade was mild for this time of year, and I got to see most of it since my recent back surgery allowed me to hop into line at the last third of the distance, and my corps was positioned near the end. I was impressed at how well these alumni units performed in the parade, since I realize that it becomes more difficult as one gets older.

The weekend is a fun time with great food at the local restaurants and parties after the show. All we need is more "Classic" drum corps fans.

Art,

I think back in the days before we (BOS SR) used to go to Plymouth I used to say exactly what you just wrote but to the corps. This show is an important part of Thanksgiving USA but it's not all drum corps fans - it's Thanksgiving in Massachusetts fans - you're always going to get more people at the parade.

It's just about Thanksgiving weekend and there's so much going on. Anyone with kids is running around like crazy. I just don't think it's ever going to be packed. And to be very honest - the only time I ever went to that show even when I lived 45 minutes away was when I worked with the Crusaders.

I fear that I'm not the only one.

Hope all is well back there - we had a day of ice out here in Dallas that everyone acted like it was the end of the world. Even now they're waiting for Spring to make it go away.

These folks make me crazier than band people.

I am glad you posted about the online videos! I am watching them right now and I must say, Defenders are pretty dang good! Some of my all time favorite corps tunes in that show! I remember doing that show with the Kilties...it was a blast!

Dale & Art,

The Kilties were a huge hit at Plymouth too. The show was sold out back in the early days. Over the years as the price of the admission went up & up .The volume of the crowd has gone down . I think the price of the tickets is out of line. We used to all buy tickets for ourselves & family members . Now that we don't play the show anymore ,its just not worth the price of admission. Just my opinion ,but I don't know many people that pay to go to the Plymouth Show anymore.

mike D.

You have a right to your opinion, but you are saying that if you are not in the show, it's not worth the price of admission. I beg to differ. There were no weak links in the show. I thought all the units performed at a high level and were worth watching.

My corps did not participate in the last 2 Mission Drums, after performing exhibitions the previous 2 years, but I and many of my fellow corps mates bought tickets to enjoy the show and to support drum corps. If drum corps dies, the non-supporters will be its pall bearers.

You have a right to your opinion, but you are saying that if you are not in the show, it's not worth the price of admission. I beg to differ. There were no weak links in the show. I thought all the units performed at a high level and were worth watching.

My corps did not participate in the last 2 Mission Drums, after performing exhibitions the previous 2 years, but I and many of my fellow corps mates bought tickets to enjoy the show and to support drum corps. If drum corps dies, the non-supporters will be its pall bearers.

Art,

Please read my post again. I am saying the PRICE is too high for a Drum Corps show.The fact that we are not playing really doesn't matter.The admission price is way too high for any Drum Corps show. If my friends & family happen to be in town ,we might attend the show. Just isn't worth a special trip to pay that kind of money for a show. I and my family have attended the Plymouth show since it started in 1996.We have always supported it . I did not play in the show until 2001.The price used to be reasonable. I didn't say anything about "weak links" . In your post you didn't seem to understand why the show doesn't sell out anymore. All I am saying is that I think it is the high admission price. NOT the quality of the Corps that play. Very sorry if i hurt anyones feelings.

Mike D.

Art,

I have a lot of respect for you. I do think though that it's not even close to fair to put the survival of the activity on whether individuals go to shows (whether they wish to or not). None of us gets to say what "too expensive" is for any other individual. I don't shop at Walmart - it's a choice. I don't get to tell people that shop there that they're wrong.

The activity will survive as long as the market allows it to survive. Shaming folks by telling them if they don't spend whatever it takes on a show "to keep the activity alive" is just not a great idea.

First thing to do is get the corps (in this case Alumni corps) performing music that audiences are willing to pay to hear, and 2nd - what I believe the Crusaders have done splendidly for over 20 years now - perform it well enough to excite audiences.

There's the responsibility. When corps fail to meet that responsibility the market will dry up, pure and simple.

Neither you nor I nor anyone else has the right to tell someone they need to go pay to see shows for the good of the activity. If you and others you know do that, God bless you.

But you don't get to judge everyone else.

See you around at a show at some point.

Ray

There is a reason why the Harrisburg, PA "Serenade In Brass" is no longer around after 30+ years. Higher costs and audience going down IOW less people thinking it worth the effort and money to go. Not just the concert shows only so understand and agree with my buddy Mike even if I don't know the ticket cost.