Trouble with cut-and-paste? (And linking?)

N.E. Brigand

For the past few days, when posting from my computer at home, via Internet Explorer, I've found that I can't get the quote function to work, nor can I paste anything into my messages (from messages here or from text anywhere else on the web or in other programs like Word). Also, when I try to add a link, I can't paste to the link box, and then I can't get the link box to close.

I thought it was just a problem with my computer, but I see that Jim-F Low-Bari mentioned today he was having similar problems.

• Like 1

For the past few days, when posting from my computer at home, via Internet Explorer, I've found that I can't get the quote function to work, nor can I paste anything into my messages (from messages here or from text anywhere else on the web or in other programs like Word). Also, when I try to add a link, I can't paste to the link box, and then I can't get the link box to close.

I thought it was just a problem with my computer, but I see that Jim-F Low-Bari mentioned today he was having similar problems.

works here

I always first recommending cleaning caches and restarting your computer. might have picked up a glitch. let's see what happens after that.

And here are some thoughts I cut and pasted from JohnD when we were recently working through the same c/p problem with another member:

"I'm running Word 2008 (Mac) and have no problem with either a direct paste or using the "Paste From Word" button. I'm also using Chrome - which I suspect has a lot more to do with this than the version of Word ... as all of these functions are being handled by the Javascript editor plugin that is used.

That said, I've always recommended STRONGLY that people NOT cut-n-paste directly from Word - primarily because of all of the additional crap that Word embeds in their documents. Rather I'd suggest the following:

• Copy the content in Word to the clipboard (Ctrl-C)
  • Open Notepad or another 'dumb' editor (no formatting, etc)
  • Paste the contents of the clipboard into Notepad (Ctrl-V)
  • Select the contents in Notepad and copy to clipboard (Ctrl-C)
  • Paste the contents of the clipboard into the Invision Editor (Ctrl-V)
This simple process of 'filtering' the content thru a dumb editor will remove all of the control characters and junk that Word attaches to their document files.

Give that a try and let me know how it goes. I would also ask that you be sure to use a 'modern' browser - like Google Chrome or Safari."

see if any of this helps, and we'll check back later, or you can PM directly and we'll talk.

z

John, I'm having the same problem. And quote feature has not been working for the last few days.

I'm using Google but might be having problems with WindBlows7 as getting msgs trying to update the OS and then backing out of the updates every other day when I trun on the PC.

John, I'm having the same problem. And quote feature has not been working for the last few days.

I'm using Google but might be having problems with WindBlows7 as getting msgs trying to update the OS and then backing out of the updates every other day when I trun on the PC.

Well... this is from work with WinBlows 7 system.... IE Version 9 ... will check the IE version of the problem child when I get home...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Winnah, winnah chicken dinnah.... (was that a 'Burgh thing?).....

Just noticed I had the "install New Versions Automatic" checked on.. not anymore....