For Pure Unbridled Ferocity

Anything to match the first 38 seconds of Boston's 1977 opener? That's 40 Brass player's. What we lacked in musicality we made up with intensity. Yes, I know we were a blunt instrument but if you can't get beyond all those clipped notes and just enjoy that little Drum Corp nearly careening out of control from pure passion well then I'm not even going to feel sorry for you. We weren't so bad for 17th place.

For Video check out the ensuing post. Thank You Mr. Ghost.

Edited by Bsader

Their was no let up for the rest of the performance. We were all a little fried by the end of the season but we had a great time together that year.

Edited by Bsader

When I saw Boston at DCI Prelims that year in Boulder I was blown away. The opener had the crowd going crazy! All you need to know about that show was that there was a sub-caption score for marching and maneuvering excellence (called credit) in '77. The top scorers in M& M credit that year at prelims:

1. Santa Clara

2. BOSTON CRUSADERS

2. Blue Devils

2. Phantom Regiment

Edited by Northern Thunder
  • Like 1

Wow, that was a great clip! Another corps called Valley Fever from Modesto, CA played the same opener a few years later in '82; it was the best part of the show next to the drum solo in Carmina Burana. This was the corps' third year in existence,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUOBGSjNvEU&list=PLJ7SMWTjNLse0pvogNL0K6ksbV8nZQzZe&index=1

first 2:45

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 1

Anything to match the first 38 seconds of Boston's 1977 opener?

Nope... not much. That opening sequence is awesome!!!

Nope... not much. That opening sequence is awesome!!!

Yes it was. It was OTL into 192 bpm for the opening staggered starts for all brass then dodging flags single tonguing everything and having one breath before going into a 40 count sustain (for sops) at volume, still flying across the filed until the first big hit at letter A where you had just gotten a 16 count break to get all the blood back in your head before you might pass out. Heaven help you if you did though. It was a killer. Then after all that it was a pretty intense opener through to the end where you picked up the tempo once again I think back to 190 bpm.