Use of Concert Tuba in Drum corps

cdm

Since any type of brass is legal in DCI, what are the opinions on the use of concert tubas for Marching Band/Drum Corps.

I do know that Jacksonville State University marching band (where many members of Spirit of Atlanta Drum corps hail from), use the Conn 20j, and the Conn 24j for their low brass.

From the Jacksonville State Marching Southerners website:

"A concert instrument by design, the 20J produces a deep, sonorous tone. The bore size (diameter of the tubing) is larger than all others tubas created at the time. The horn has thick silver plating, making it not only heavy and cumbersome, but also strong, durable and resonant.

The 20J has three upright valves and a 24-inch recording style bell. They weigh approximately 52 lbs. each. We also have in our possession two 24J's. They have an added fourth valve (for those beasts who love to take everything down an octave). These horns weigh about 60lbs..."

JSU has been using these since the 1950's, and have some that are almost 100 years old. JSU marches/owns up to 32 of them. Their Band is built around the Conn 20J concert horn. JSU repairs them over and over again, and instead of replating the tubing/valves, they PAINT it silver automotive paint(leaving the bell silver plated.), which supposedly gives the Conn 20j a darker sound!

What are the opinions on the use of concert tubas on the field?

They are recording bell tubas and although have a warmer sound and plentiful supply of overtones. I think their sound would be wasted outside. I've seen/heard some marching bands use concert tubas on the field and you really couldn't hear them. The sound gets shot up into the sky and doesn't come back down. I love my concert tuba. I love my sousaphone, I loved my Contrabass BUGLE. They all have their place for a reason.

I used to have a 20J the weight was the reason why I sold it. It was just too heavy. I have a new 4 valve rotary BBb horn I play inside and I love it. My little Olds sousaphone from the 60s is a great horn for me on combo gigs. 18lbs all brass and I can really get a good spin on the sound with it.

Edited by sonofjabba

JSU uses the bellfront recording 20J, and you can definitely hear them in the stands.

Check out this video of the JSU Conn 20J in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIF1tBB6TOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW-aRMSkoGg

My big issue is the weight. A 52 pound horn is a monster to try to march with.

Edited by cdm

Blast! certainly used concert tubas, at least at some points. I distinctly remember the soloist at the beginning and/or end of "Land of Make Believe" sitting with the tuba in his lap.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

JSU uses the bellfront recording 20J, and you can definitely hear them in the stands.

Yes, and that's even while, as often at so many football games, much of the audience not only ignores the band but talks during their performance.

I highly doubt the Conn 20J is 60 lbs. I have a Conn 20K Sousaphone, which has the same 24" bell and identical short-action valves, and it is nowhere close to 60 lbs. It's about 30 lbs last I checked.

That being said, equipping a tuba section with brand new 20J's is akin to finding enough brand new King K-90 Contras. The 20J hasn't been built for nearly 30 years. While it is entirely possible a corps will switch to some type of recording bell marching tuba (I guarantee if a Top WC Corps petitioned Yamaha to make a 20J clone, you bet they would), I would see a line of Sousaphones happening before this.

The 60 pounds for the 24 J, is the number that was quoted by the article. I don't have first hand experience with holding/carrying one. I have seen/heard JSU playing the 20J first hand, and they are very effective.