Where is everyone?

thedova

I haven't heard any updates, or opinions about shows! Is this forum basically dead now?

I hope not bc i like hearing how others feel about shows

Got wgi fn for 1 more year and would like input too!

How are we going to promote ourselves when we don't do forums?

Perhaps action speaks louder than words.

edit :smile:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgoZUHO4uMc

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uJL8er_tV0

Edited by lindap

Ok I'll play...I agree, we should be discussing the season more!!!

I absolutely LOVE Carmel - what a great take on a "western" themed show

I totally get Onyx this year - It's probably just me, but I like the fact that it looks more like a guard show this season

I think it's Purdue University (Ind A at the Indianapolis regional) - I do not understand how this show scored so low - it's a really good show!!!

Alter Ego - their staging is always so great

Really like Blessed Sac - miss their rifle line though!

I am kind of tired of all the slow music though. It gets kinda boring after a while.

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

I agree with Mike - Purdue University is great!! I hope they make finals at nationals/world championships (is the event 'world' this year?? sometimes it's not with the lack of actual international groups).

Some of my favorites -

Floyd Central High School (IN) - live piano player who watches the guard and the show is continually improving week to week. I saw them last night and it was breathtaking!

Mt. Juliet High School (TN) - when they pull back the white part of the tarp to reveal the green I was so giddy with excitement! Wonderful equipment writing. I hope they do well at nationals.

Zydeco (OH) - wonderful! The tornado/whirlwind segment, the pairings, the whole thing is just great.

Carmel High School (IN) - a cute (yes, I said cute) show done with class. I love a good western theme and this black and white version is really cool.

Center Grove High School (IN) - their best production in a few years. Jessica Walker is doing wonderful things with the ladies - the training is evident. Perhaps the show isn't as "deep" as others in their class, but they deserve major respect for holding their own and producing strong programs year in and year out. LONG LIVE CGCG! (that's my plug).

Cypress Bay High School (FL) - love it! Dresses, umbrellas, slinky New Orleans jazz... great stuff!

James Logan High School (CA)- LOVE LOVE LOVE. Period. Done. LOVE IT.

Flannagan High School (FL) - this show is not a favorite, but I do think it is cool that they are using tents and working in and around them. Something I've not seen before.

Purdue University (IN) - Mannequins. Super cool.

Shenendehowa High School (NY) (the IA guard) - love this show and they sell it! Again, something I've not seen before which is refreshing.

I've only been to one show so far (South Brunswick regional prelims) and haven't done the Fan Network because it's way too expensive this year, but the shows that stand out in my mind from yesterday:

West Orange--such a beautiful show, so well written.

Somervillle

St. Ann's--what little divas!

Delazure--My favorite show that they've ever done.

Emanon--Definitely expecting them to crack the top 10 in Dayton.

First Flight--such a cool idea they have this year, just hoping they can fix some of their 'technical' issues with the floors.

I'm not sure what Emanon is doing "thematically" - but I really, really liked the show

Flanagan has a really cool Mount Everest concept - and the tent idea is very cool. If they can clean that show - it will be awesome

Black Watch has some solid rifles !!!!

I liked Field of View - but it had too many similarities to Blue Knights this summer (balls, colour scheme, flag choices)

Imbue will be a strong contender again this year - strong performers with excellent technique

Fantasia - so much better than last year's "West Side Story"!!!!!!

Les Eclipses - probably their most complex show yet - should be a strong IO finalist this year!

I watched 12 guards live February 22 2014 at a local contest in Northern Alberta and enjoyed them all. It was a nice day but we've had minus 35 degrees celsius with wind chill for 4 days.

One of the guards, a first year guard, recently drove from Southern Alberta to Phoenix and won their class. Phoenix may have been 20 C plus. 55 degrees C difference!

Another guard from Feb 22 is going to Orlando. I'll assume they're flying. Want to say out loud that I'm proud as a peacock to have seen 12 guards live this year!

I can't travel 1,000 miles plus to see a show; looking for fun and fantastic guards on Fan Network to view based on your review. I love winter guard!!! :D

edit watched Les Éclipses de Longueuil tonight on FN and cried; feels good to have my emotions again

Edited by lindap

I've only really been to the Walled Lake regional, but I saw a few awesome groups.

Sch. A:

--Jenison HS is really good again. Still a darker show like they did last year (13th in SA finals), but more elegant and very simple.

--Lake Orion HS was quite impressive. They're doing an abstract show and all their choreography fits the theme quite well. I don't think I've seen an SA guard move like they do.

--West Bloomfield HS doesn't compete in SA in the local circuit (they're in the class below, Sch. AA, but it's on an A sheet), but they have the cutest show I've ever seen: The Very Hungry Caterpillar. It's insanely adorable.

Ind. A:

--Interplay A has another cute show, this time about circles (last year was "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"). The theme is very well executed, down to the performer's little hoop earrings.

--Ancora A isn't going to WGI, but I wish they would. They're doing a really cool cover of "Sounds of Silence", but it's kind of a soft, almost upbeat take on the song. Just a joy to watch.

--Notre Dame College made a huge jump this year over the past--they've been on the climb and I loved them last year, but this show ("End of the Ride") takes it a step further. There are so many great moments in the show, it's hard to pick one. They didn't have costumes or show silks yet, but they still wowed me.

Sch. Open:

--Walled Lake Central was the only one, but they've got a great, dark, dramatic show done to original music by the school's percussion director (Nick Pourcho). It wasn't very done but had (has) a ton of potential.

Ind. Open:

--State of Art also wasn't very complete, but this is another show that will go far and not peak until WGI. Now, I am a bit biased when it comes to them (see my signature), but this was a lot of fun to watch and there's some really cool movement choreography going on, courtesy of Melissa Ganser. The show is called "Against The Grain" and is finding ways to use sand as a visual effect. It's kind of minimal now, but I'm hoping they add more to this. Even without it, it's just fun.

--Ancora is doing a show called "Some Birds Aren't Meant To Be Caged", and the lovely performers are the birds. There are some cage-like visual elements, but the performers quite easily and excellently broke free. At first, it seems like it will be dark, but it's more about being free.

--Interplay is, well, Interplay. If you've ever seen Interplay in the past few years, you'll know their shows are all pretty similar. This isn't a slight to them--they've found what they're good at and they maximize it every year. If you like playing with dominoes, then you'll love this show.

Ind. World:

--Juxtaposition was the only guard in this class. I enjoyed the show, but I honestly couldn't tell you what it was about. Apparently it was called "Mirror" and the music was half "Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera and half something I forgot. It was nice to watch, though.

My faves so far are:

Alter Ego - OK I might be biased, but as a teacher, you really feel the pain of those poor kids "crossing over."

Mechanisburg HS - My fave last year and this year does not disappoint!

St. Ann's - LOVE that they are back (and LOVE the homage to "Shaker Loops" of St Ann's past!)

Who I want to see again....Black Watch, Field of View, Patriots, Trumbull HS

Who I can't wait to see LIVE....SCV, Onyx (there I said it!), Tarpon Springs HS, Flanagan HS, North Syracuse Central HS