The Golden Age of Drum Corps.

Hup234

My native state's a sporting state, a top vacation spot;There's skiing when the weather's cold, and boating when it's hot.My friends are all enthusiasts of sports and games galore,But most of them had never seen a drum and bugle corps.They just don't get why I ignored the area's great features And traveled many miles to find a seat up in the bleachers.They'd never seen a corps compete, or else I'm sure they'd seeWhy competitions offered so much fun and thrills for me.And so, I guess, we're miles apart as far as interests go.I found as much in drum corps as they found in sun and snow.To me, a sunny summer day meant sitting in the standsWatching corpsmen on the starting line clasp, with nervous hands,A bugle or a drumstick, or a sabre, cymbals, flags ...And checking over uniforms, and letting nothing lag.  Encouragement was whispered into fellow squadmen's earsAs starting time grew nearer, as did all the nagging fears.The Major moved to center, and he'd bark a sharp command,As silence would descend upon the crowds there in the stand.And then a sudden drumbeat signaled cheers and shouts galore!The crowds would roar approval then, as forward went the corps.Fears and nerves all vanished when the lines were clean and tight.All the months of practising were paying off that night.Bugles sounded sharply out across the summer air,Echoing from field and sky, and flags flew high and fair.As the field judges scurried midst our music strong and proud,The corps then rearranged itself facing towards the crowd.The fans would now be quieter, as concert time was here.We'd hope our new arrangements might just catch the judges' ear.And then the drumline moved into a smooth and rhythmic beat,A solo quite hypnotic, and the crowd would tap its feet.And then streamed forth a sweet barrage of old and modern tunes:Jazz, the blues, now powerful, then hushed, and ever-sweetly crooned;Old favorites and movie tunes, and Broadway hits galore.The audience could never guess the next surprise in store.When it was all over, and the cheering over too,The scores were tabulated as the crowd guessed who'd come through.To those who'd get no trophy for their efforts long and true:Sportsmanship would still prevail o'er disappointment's hue.Instead, determination to improve that evening's scoresOvershadowed bitterness, and urged on all the corps.It was ever so rewarding when our corps had thrilled the fans,And so, to all those doubtful still, I'll take this one-man stand:The Golden Age of Drum Corps, whatever the scores would be,Will always live forever within the heart of me. 
  • Like 1

Very nice sentiment and well written. Thank you.