Significance of the new MiM ( aka DCI G7 corps) Fall shows?

Here's what I had just said in (and now deleted from) the other thread where you had mentioned this:

I am inclined to be suspicious of Music in Motion, but corps should be looking for alternate revenue streams to support their primary mission, and they are probably best doing so through activities where they can leverage their expertise, so running a marching band circuit (as YEA already does anyway) seems entirely reasonable to me, and not necessarily likely to lead to changes in the central purpose of the corps.

Knowing nothing of the USBands system, I was struck by the comment in those MiM announcements that the scores are 60% music to 40% visual. Many people on these forums complain that DCI gives too much emphasis to the visual. Would the G7 corps prefer DCI to use the USBands music-emphasized system? Is it the non-G7 corps who have prevented that?

most band circuits go the 60/40 route

http://www.yea.org/s...ws_iv_ctrl=1402

http://cavaliers.org...ng-music-series

In case you have seen this yet, MiM is going to be holding 4 high school band contests "across the country" this fall under the rules of USBands...

From the article I assume that these corps' staff will be judging these events. Looks like back door competition for BOA to me, but what do you guys think about this? For me it is a little difficult to separate MiM from DCI; is this the beginning of a coup attempt for the G7 DCI corps to expand into marching band?

Is this just a way for USBands to expand a little?

I wonder why these events are needed or desired. We've got BOA, USBands, and all the local competitive circuits. Not judging yet, but really curious how this will be "different" than BOA.

Maybe the reason will be to get input from G7/MiM staff?

What do you think about it? I know it's not directly corps related, but it is supported by MiM/G7 who are DCI drum corps organizations.

It's all about the money, in my opinion---either immediate flow of positive revenue or building a base for a future positive flow of revenue (passive or aggressive); and there's not necessarily anything wrong with that.

After-all, Girl Scouts do sell cookies, schools have car washes, etc. Where the money is going and to what the money is going for and to whom it benefits----that's always the "rest of the story".

Drum corps has spent 25 years trying to recruit band kids to play drum corps by enticing them to become audiences & buy t-shirts (and occasionally be students at clinics). Having a consortium band together (no pun) to promote the work of the directors and bands more directly via competitions is a natural progression of the conversation.

More drum corps should be looking to form more alliances like this to promote and produce band shows, both because it helps them generate funds for their own operations and because it gives them a chance to make sure that each kid competing at those events knows what drum corps is and how they can be part of it (and at a time of the year when the information is actionable, with fall/winter audition camps).

I'm with Garfield. I think this is a very positive development.

Edited by Slingerland

The recent information only shows that the G7 is alive and well. This is not a bad thing per se, but an acknowledgement that these seven corps are still in cahoots trying to make something happen for them. Moving into fall band shows is quite simply the maneuvering of USBands (YEA) to become the premier band circuit in the country. The USBands page states "State Championships for 2012 will be held in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Tennessee and Texas. Bands in Connecticut, New England and Rhode Island compete with one another in the New England State Championships." A little more national coverage doesn't hurt, and as far as I know not even BOA reaches coast to coast.

USBands/YEA currently use well known DCI staffers for judging, including Mr. Hopkins himself. I am definitely no expert on this topic, but my general feeling is that fall marching band shows is not only a lucrative revenue stream for YEA and now the G7, but for the individuals involved with the G7. Staffers will be invited to fly in a to judge the shows, and of course will be paid/housed etc. YEA is already doing indoor winter shows, concerts, marching band, drum corps etc. I have heard the main reason some bands do USBands is that they pick up the phone when a band director calls, their website boasts 7am to 7pm business hours during band season. This is much better than leaving a message on an answering machine in someones house and getting a return call days later. YEA's organizational skills can't be denied, they are walking the walk so to speak.

I have to admit to myself that DCI and marching band, indoor etc have become a business. We have people deriving 100% of their income from the activities, and as the marching arts business leaders become leaner and meaner we can only expect more. More competition, more professionals and survival of the fittest. The G7 coup attempt failed in it's original mission, but did take hold. I can see the end game of this being Music in Motion (MiM) and the G7 building brand loyalty with the fall marching band system and at some point in the future extending that loyalty into MiM summer band series consisting of the G7 corps. At that point DCI could become a non player, a partner to MiM in their endeavors, or direct competition to MiM for the summer experience.

I do not have a horse in this race, I don't have the time or desire to fight change, and I have recently committed to stop wining about the good old days and go with the flow. I will be interested to see how it all pans out in the next few years. The bottom line for me is that the kids have the experience of a lifetime, just like I was given. I will help where I can.

Edited by jonnyboy
  • Like 1

Had Hopkins or anyone else ever proposed that DCI start a circuit of band competitions, only to have that idea rejected?

Drum corps has spent 25 years trying to recruit band kids to play drum corps by enticing them to become audiences & buy t-shirts (and occasionally be students at clinics). Having a consortium band together (no pun) to promote the work of the directors and bands more directly via competitions is a natural progression of the conversation.

More drum corps should be looking to form more alliances like this to promote and produce band shows, both because it helps them generate funds for their own operations and because it gives them a chance to make sure that each kid competing at those events knows what drum corps is and how they can be part of it (and at a time of the year when the information is actionable, with fall/winter audition camps).

I'm with Garfield. I think this is a very positive development.

I agree also..BUT I also find it interesting that some dont mind the G7 mindset when it benefits themselves or something they are attached to yet had a holy xxxx fit before...lol....not saying ANYONE in particular just in general and a few I actually spoke with on the subject who HATED anything to do with ANY of them...now , it's all good....like I said interesting, although people do have the right to change their minds...I also find it funny that people quote others ( happens in politics all the time ) from many many years ago and think just because someone said something 20 years ago they assume they feel the same way today...why?..could they ..yes..could they grow and change YES

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

The G7 "mindset" in this circumstance seems to be quite different than the old G7 mindset, if you ask me.

They aren't proposing to take over de-facto control of DCI

They aren't proposing to kick non-G7 corps to the performance curb

They aren't proposing to eliminate funding for non-G7 corps

They aren't dictating a schedule that favors them on weekends

They aren't proposing anything at all that would affect other corps, which is quite different from their introductory aims, don't you think?

In fact, they are proposing to "...go off and do their own thing..." as many here suggested they do and said they'd be fine with, and they are doing it in a way that doesn't compete with DCI or the other corps.

In fact, if you put your nefarious hat on and call this "money motivated" (of COURSE it is, why else do it?!), you could easily see that the door for other corps to participate could be wide open. MiM's band footprint could spread to all corners of the country with the dispersion of corps, and all the corps have to provide is the same commitment that the G7 corps have, run a profitable show on the circuit, and return that profit to the group without funneling it through DCI's dilutive pay scale in the process.

Even the season doesn't compete with the DCI tour.

If the straw man argument is that "some" have changed their minds about the G7 then, as of now, count me among that group.

As in my business, my vaticination is data dependent. If the data changes, my opinion might, too.

Not all of our feet are stuck fast in concrete.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

The G7 "mindset" in this circumstance seems to be quite different than the old G7 mindset, if you ask me.

They aren't proposing to take over de-facto control of DCI

They aren't proposing to kick non-G7 corps to the performance curb

They aren't proposing to eliminate funding for non-G7 corps

They aren't dictating a schedule that favors them on weekends

They aren't proposing anything at all that would affect other corps, which is quite different from their introductory aims, don't you think?

In fact, they are proposing to "...go off and do their own thing..." as many here suggested they do and said they'd be fine with, and they are doing it in a way that doesn't compete with DCI or the other corps.

In fact, if you put your nefarious hat on and call this "money motivated" (of COURSE it is, why else do it?!), you could easily see that the door for other corps to participate could be wide open. MiM's band footprint could spread to all corners of the country with the dispersion of corps, and all the corps have to provide is the same commitment that the G7 corps have, run a profitable show on the circuit, and return that profit to the corps without funneling it through DCI's dilutive pay scale in the process.

Even the season doesn't compete with the DCI tour.

If the straw man argument that "some" have changed their minds about the G7 then, as of now, count me among that group.

As in my business, my vaticination about the future is data dependent. If the data changes, my opinion might, too.

Not all of our feet are stuck fast in concrete.

being openminded to change or to opinions can be a good thing

hmmmm why would he ..he has his own

(snicker)

• Like 1