10-3/4CW mouthpiece curiousity

Dick H

My 1952 (New York) Bach came with a 10-3/4CW mouthpiece. After several years it got a little pitted and I bought another one. The newer one is marked "Mt. Vernon" and cost $7, so it was a long time ago. The newer mouthpiece looks like I would expect a wide rim to look: bigger, more rounded rim, and about 1/16" larger outside diameter (although the cups look the same).. I didn't like it much at the time, so bought a 7C and used that until I hung it up in 1972. After 40 years, I've started trying to play again, and awakened my curiosity about the 10-3/4CW's. Was the first one mismarked, or was the design changed? By the way, at 77 years, I'm finding the wide rim more comfortable.

Dick

I don't really get into the differences, but yes there is variance slightly in design between Different eras of Bach mpcs. Mt Vernon, Mt Vernon NY, Vincent Bach, small letters, big letters etc can all have subtle differences.

I made it easy on myself though, play Curry/ Marcinkiewicz mpcs and have a betterday :)

My 1952 (New York) Bach came with a 10-3/4CW mouthpiece. After several years it got a little pitted and I bought another one. The newer one is marked "Mt. Vernon" and cost $7, so it was a long time ago. The newer mouthpiece looks like I would expect a wide rim to look: bigger, more rounded rim, and about 1/16" larger outside diameter (although the cups look the same).. I didn't like it much at the time, so bought a 7C and used that until I hung it up in 1972. After 40 years, I've started trying to play again, and awakened my curiosity about the 10-3/4CW's. Was the first one mismarked, or was the design changed? By the way, at 77 years, I'm finding the wide rim more comfortable.

Dick

:ninja:

Hey Dick -

When I saw the size you described, a bell went off. I recall an old friend of mine who had one of those 10 1/2CW Bachs a few years back. I always understood the "W" stood for 'wide' as part of the description of the mouthpiece. I suspect that variables in machining, however minute may be the effect of changing locations of the mill, the machinist on duty, etc. I would suspect as technology has improved, the precision of the milling process, the accuracy of the quality control may ALL have an effect on the newer versions, not to mention the material being used. If that old sucker feels good, use it!! Nice to see a dinosaur limbering up his chops at 77.. Play on, dude!! :worthy:

Pat

Edited by goalieguy

Thanks for both your comments. I had always assumed the original one was mis-marked, since it's definitely not a wide rim. Bach listings don't show a 10-3/4C, so I thought it might have been something else, maybe a 10-1/2C. Whatever, it served me well for many years, and the 10-3/4CW acts the same with a more comfortable rim.

Thanks also for the encouragement - I've played piano/keyboards for over 60 years, and found I could lay off for a month or two and jump right back in. Not so with the trumpet.