Carolina Crown 2014

I see what looks like a picnic table with people around it smiling at the camera. They look older than the average corps member.

In addition, in the photo is a roll of paper towel. At first I thought the red colored thing next to the paper towel might be a squeeze bottle of ketchup, but then again it looks like a tall glass. I am lead to believe it must be a fruity drink due to the smile on the person at the right of the photo. I'm sure it's because the fruity drink has not spilled and as a result, they have not had to use the paper towel. Saving paper towel is important.

As a result, I think that this photo clearly shows that their 2014 show is about saving the environment. The less paper towel one needs to use, the less trees need to be cut down to make paper towel.

I probably should have been more clear. The areas to the left and right are what I was talking about. The gradient-like colors have changed from purple and red (last year's colors for the uniform) to what you see now. IMO, this is a hint as to what colors we can expect to see used in this year's uniform.

• Like 1

When do they announce the show?

mid June

:tounge2:

• Like 2

mid June

:tounge2:

Nah. I'm putting my money on November. You'll know what the show is when the dvd/blu-ray comes out and the theme is listed on the box. Now that would be "out of this world!"

• Like 1

I probably should have been more clear. The areas to the left and right are what I was talking about. The gradient-like colors have changed from purple and red (last year's colors for the uniform) to what you see now. IMO, this is a hint as to what colors we can expect to see used in this year's uniform.

oooh, like back to cream with light purple highlights?

Kinda liked the different uniformed look of 2013. :-) Maybe the cream unis will have purple feathers and spikes jutting out of it?

Well, that looks like red, white, and blue, and possibly black. Hmm... Les Mis!

I'm hoping for another original, like in 2013........Don't want to get beatin' down here but

Last years' show was so different, from the uniforms, to the narration, the extra movements each individual corps member, everything except their unbelievable brass sound. Their color guard rose to rival that of BD's, and their percussion never gave up, even though it was widely known that was their weakness, though through no fault of the players.

Crown has a lot to live up to this season, but I think with the same dedication and I'm hoping originality, they will prove last year wasn't a fluke.Either way, I'll still be screaming along with the rest of the crowd all the way to finals.

• Like 3

For some reason I thought "Rach Star" and "For the Common Good" were announced earlier than this, but I thought last year had a later announcement.

I love show announcements, but in most cases I find that the show announcements and what I think I'll see rarely match, which is neither good not bad, but I know I've anticipated shows that have not been what I thought and shows I knew I'd either dislike or dismiss have become favorites. Last year's show was a perfect example. As a huge opera buff, I did not expect "Einstein on the Beach" to translate well into the drum corps world since opera has been hit or miss with other corps. I was enthralled when I first heard Crown's show and was even more mesmerized when I saw it live for the first time.

Whether Crown will repeat their victory remains to be seen, but I do believe they have an excellent chance which is based on more than just the fact I enjoy Crown and have for years. They did have a show that could have potentially won in 2012 and they did win in 2013. If they maintain this caliber, they will be in a position to win their second championship. My hope is that they will pay closer attention to their percussion. Crown relies too much on their brass to carry the show and often it does, but it can't do this at the expense of percussion.

Edited by Tim K

I still don't quite understand how the percussion is judged so I was so frustrated to see Crowns' low percussion scores all season long......they all sounded good to me but their percussion score for finals with 6th place.......what was I missing?

I still don't quite understand how the percussion is judged so I was so frustrated to see Crowns' low percussion scores all season long......they all sounded good to me but their percussion score for finals with 6th place.......what was I missing?

It's generally judged in the same manner as brass, guard, etc.

You weren't missing anything. The judges saw 5 other percussion lines that were better than Crown's. Simple as that.

• Like 1

I'm hoping for another original, like in 2013........Don't want to get beatin' down here but

Last years' show was so different, from the uniforms, to the narration, the extra movements each individual corps member, everything except their unbelievable brass sound. Their color guard rose to rival that of BD's, and their percussion never gave up, even though it was widely known that was their weakness, though through no fault of the players.

Crown has a lot to live up to this season, but I think with the same dedication and I'm hoping originality, they will prove last year wasn't a fluke.Either way, I'll still be screaming along with the rest of the crowd all the way to finals.

amazing how people can see the same thing so differently

I found last years Crown production the least original winning program in years - every element felt redundant - to me, maybe I've just been following the activity way too long

• Like 3