Carolina Crown 2014

amazing how people can see the same thing so differently

I found last years Crown production the least original winning program in years - every element felt redundant - to me, maybe I've just been following the activity way too long

Kinda' have to agree, at least as far as Crown's past shows go. Obviously, the theme and music was different, but there were plenty of elements, staging, sets, etc. that I've seen from them in the past. Not that that's bad. A lot of corps have certain 'go-to's that you can pick out from year to year.

But it would be a stretch for me to call the show completely original.

That award continues to go to BD for me. May not always like the end product, but lately, it's something I've not seen in drum corps before.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

amazing how people can see the same thing so differently

I found last years Crown production the least original winning program in years - every element felt redundant - to me, maybe I've just been following the activity way too long

Because you've been around so long, George, your humble honkishness for Cadets is well known.

It is funny how people can see things so differently - probably part of the beauty of the art. Subjectivity is the realm of the individual.

I've been around since the beginning like you, and Crown's show last year was one of the most inspiring I've seen in a long time. We each have our own, personal top-5 list from our histories in the activity, and Crown's 2013 show made it into my list. Up there with venerable standouts like Angels and Demons, Spartacus ('08), App Spring and others, BD among them.

[begin sarcasm]

Jeesh, more narration?

Yuck, triple-tonguing. Again?

Whole-corps unison ripple body movements are so passe.

16 person rifle lines throwing perfect 5's are done, well, every year, aren't they?

I'm sure I've seen 12 tympani across the front sidelines some other time... ummm.... let's see....

If I see another 5-yard line to 5-yard line single file blowing FFF resonance for 10 measures to finish the opener, with the guard all flags in perfect unison spread across the entire remaining field, I'm gonna puke.

I hate when the rifle straps all snap at the same time like that. Jeesh, irritating!

Rhythmic narration counting the off-meter notation of the drum solo is so 2013! Come one people! This is...well, 2013! Still!....

Unison horn line sixteenth-note triplets at 230bpm? Seriously?! They're standing still! Spread only over 50 yards? Jeesh, and they could only pull off 12 measures? I remember when... hey! I'm hungry!

"Familiar" story of legato, choir-sounding-like chords that actually do connote a warm, chocolate bath and, WHAT?, another love story? Man, DCI should tell these directors to stop doing love stories. I mean, the last love story on the field we saw was.... someone help me out here. You know, love stories, right? They're all over the place!

And that drill design, good GOD. It's drawing the eye and pointing, YES POINTING! from the 15 on one side of the field all the way across to the 5 of the other side, right down, exactly, to where two guard members are performing near-professional ballet movements of two lovers kissing on a park bench! OMG, I swear, Cadets did that... no, wait, maybe it was BD, or maybe Spirit. I KNOW I've seen that chart before!

And, of course, EVERY corps has an irritating girlfriend that doesn't know when to stop asking stupid questions when her boyfriend is trying to proclaim his love! I mean, jeesh girl, get a clue!

Here we go! Back to more sixteenth-note triplets at 230 in the horn line. Please! Make it stop!

Uggh! A rotating 3-D pyramid? Really? Is that the best they've got drill-wise? Ughh.

And there goes the guard again, all 38 of them, with unison flags, perfectly timed, only this time they're using color! Oh, really? Color? BORING!

I know I've seen that disappearing-through-the-bass-drum routine somewhere else. Really, didn't...umm...you know, who did that before? SCV?

NOOOOOOOO! Slow motion! Not more slow motion! Didn't Crown JUST DO slow motion, like, what 3 years ago? Four?

What, ANOTHER PERFECT attack on a 20-count Sfz with 18 counts of nearly perfectly linear volume progression? Good GOD, I don't think I can take this blatant, sheer repetition!

Oh, and seriously, only 8 scientific references to Einstein in the drill? That's the best they can do?

(After the cutoff, while the crowd is giving its FOURTH standing-O of the show...) Seriously, that show was so OLD and everything. I didn't see ANYTHING new at all!

Uggh. They surely didn't beat BD with THAT performance!

(end sarcasm)

Edited by garfield
  • Like 6

I'm not a BD fan... and as I said, to each their own. The show was (for me) a greatest hits of the past 4 with some Star & Cadets sprinkled in - which makes sense when one looks at their staff of designers

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

I'm not a BD fan... and as I said, to each their own. The show was (for me) a greatest hits of the past 4 with some Star & Cadets sprinkled in - which makes sense when one looks at their staff of designers

OK, I've got it. No amount of descriptions of "Wow!" moments is going to change your mind.

Maybe you're right. You are too old to appreciate it when you see it.

With all of your years of experience, I wonder, what could seem new and fresh? Anything at all?

To each his own, I get it. And I also get that it's hard to change one's opinion once it's formed, despite the evidence provided to the contrary..

Why is it so important to you for him to change his mind about it?

Oh, it isn't really, I suppose. I have a life, promise.

I just like to poke at pompous opinion-istas who want us to believe their opinion is more right, or important, than everyone else, even though they present no evidence to back up their claims.

I don't know, I suppose I could go build a house or something. This is just so much more fun, I guess.

Edited by garfield

OK, I've got it. No amount of descriptions of "Wow!" moments is going to change your mind.

Maybe you're right. You are too old to appreciate it when you see it.

With all of your years of experience, I wonder, what could seem new and fresh? Anything at all?

To each his own, I get it. And I also get that it's hard to change one's opinion once it's formed, despite the evidence provided to the contrary..

I'm not that old. Just accept that fact that some feel differently than you. It's an opinion.

Because you've been around so long, George, your humble honkishness for BD is well known.

It is funny how people can see things so differently - probably part of the beauty of the art. Subjectivity is the realm of the individual.

I've been around since the beginning like you, and Crown's show last year was one of the most inspiring I've seen in a long time. We each have our own, personal top-5 list from our histories in the activity, and Crown's 2013 show made it into my list. Up there with venerable standouts like Angels and Demons, Spartacus ('08), App Spring and others, BD among them.

[begin sarcasm]

Jeesh, more narration?

Yuck, triple-tonguing. Again?

Whole-corps unison ripple body movements are so passe.

16 person rifle lines throwing perfect 5's are done, well, every year, aren't they?

I'm sure I've seen 12 tympani across the front sidelines some other time... ummm.... let's see....

If I see another 5-yard line to 5-yard line single file blowing FFF resonance for 10 measures to finish the opener, with the guard all flags in perfect unison spread across the entire remaining field, I'm gonna puke.

I hate when the rifle straps all snap at the same time like that. Jeesh, irritating!

Rhythmic narration counting the off-meter notation of the drum solo is so 2013! Come one people! This is...well, 2013! Still!....

Unison horn line sixteenth-note triplets at 230bpm? Seriously?! They're standing still! Spread only over 50 yards? Jeesh, and they could only pull off 12 measures? I remember when... hey! I'm hungry!

"Familiar" story of legato, choir-sounding-like chords that actually do connote a warm, chocolate bath and, WHAT?, another love story? Man, DCI should tell these directors to stop doing love stories. I mean, the last love story on the field we saw was.... someone help me out here. You know, love stories, right? They're all over the place!

And that drill design, good GOD. It's drawing the eye and pointing, YES POINTING! from the 15 on one side of the field all the way across to the 5 of the other side, right down, exactly, to where two guard members are performing near-professional ballet movements of two lovers kissing on a park bench! OMG, I swear, Cadets did that... no, wait, maybe it was BD, or maybe Spirit. I KNOW I've seen that chart before!

And, of course, EVERY corps has an irritating girlfriend that doesn't know when to stop asking stupid questions when her boyfriend is trying to proclaim his love! I mean, jeesh girl, get a clue!

Here we go! Back to more sixteenth-note triplets at 230 in the horn line. Please! Make it stop!

Uggh! A rotating 3-D pyramid? Really? Is that the best they've got drill-wise? Ughh.

And there goes the guard again, all 38 of them, with unison flags, perfectly timed, only this time they're using color! Oh, really? Color? BORING!

I know I've seen that disappearing-through-the-bass-drum routine somewhere else. Really, didn't...umm...you know, who did that before? SCV?

NOOOOOOOO! Slow motion! Not more slow motion! Didn't Crown JUST DO slow motion, like, what 3 years ago? Four?

What, ANOTHER PERFECT attack on a 20-count Sfz with 18 counts of nearly perfectly linear volume progression? Good GOD, I don't think I can take this blatant, sheer repetition!

Oh, and seriously, only 8 scientific references to Einstein in the drill? That's the best they can do?

(After the cutoff, while the crowd is giving its FOURTH standing-O of the show...) Seriously, that show was so OLD and everything. I didn't see ANYTHING new at all!

Uggh. They surely didn't beat BD with THAT performance!

(end sarcasm)

After this post, you should have just dropped the mic, shouted "Deez nuts!" and left the thread victoriously.

• Like 1