Carolina Crown 2014

It's a better word choice. I thought it was helpful, and more accurate for what you seemed to be going for, not politically correct.

It's been a rough day on here though, so maybe I shouldn't try and be helpful by posting this?

Sorry slightly bitter over the brass score, rough day of classes, and it's late. Time to sleep for me.

I can't believe BD beat Crown in brass tonight. That's ridiculous.

Yup. Crowns hornline is head & shoulders above everyone else. BD is good but they aren't close to Crown. No one is. The difference is obvious to both trained & untrained folks.

Well, it clearly wasn't obvious to Albert Lo.

As much as my own sonority preference is for the type of sound Crown produces, IMO he got it right last night, though of course I was in the stands, not on the field. I'm certainly not surprised at the scores of both...of all the brass lines, really.

Crown and BD both have great lines. (So do Cadets and Bluecoats). Again, the fan judges on personal preferences. I prefer Crown's sound to BD and acknowledge they are moving more while playing vs, BD where I couldn't believe the amount of time they stop and play or move at 50 BPM it seemed. I know...... that doesn't matter but it does affect "my" perception of who is doing what and where a score should be.

Edited by theCHEZman

The judges have had BD's brass just a few tenths behind Crown all summer. It shouldn't surprise anyone that BD's line beat them at a show. One show however does not equal a trend. I love BD this year and I think they have the talent to win the brass trophy this year, but the Gold medal is what is most important. I like Crown this year. Their show is a bit scattered to me, but fun to watch. I am curious. Does anyone know how old that snare player is on the end. He looks 12 in his uniform.

Amazing Brass...but until CC brings their Percussion up they will struggle to stay top 3. Their Guard is much improved over the last several years and consistent....just need the same out of their Percussion.

jmc5682 . . . be careful of saying that "the Gold medal is what is most important" on DCP and Crown forums. I think with the talent Crown has brought in for the last several years, they should have been in a place to win the Gold, but design staff and percussion techs has been an achilles heel for them. This corps now brings in tremendous talent year after year and has rarely been given a show that can compete for 1st beyond brass. Most of the musical selection was blah in 2010 and I have never been able to figure out what the show was about. The 2011 show was fun, but never had a chance. What a show, though, for a percussion line, writers, and techs to really perform. Nope! Percussion was terrible. Last year, they were beat in finals by the Madison Scouts. And, in some ways, the percussion was a good reason why Crown did not get a medal in 2012. In 2012, they ended up with an 18.8. Something in design and percussion needs to change if Crown is ever to be a consistent contender for the Gold. But, right now, Crown seems to have set its priorities on winning the Ott for the most part. But brass alone will not contend for titles. Right now, Crown's staff seems to have the mind set that a title every now and then is nice, but consistency is far from the their minds (except for Mr. Harloff).

The reason I suggest caution is because corps aren't really supposed to care about placements and scores, although DCI is a competitive activity. The 2014 Crown could have contended if not for this disaster design the staff put on the field. Cappybara just LOLed me, but Crown is now looking at 6th place rather than the top 5 based on scores from last night. The Cavies get cleaner and cleaner while the Crown staff does more changing of its show than cleaning it.

I am thrilled to death, though, that Mr. Kevin Smith is being inducted into the DCI Hall of Fame.

Edited by Nachfolger Christi

jmc5682 . . . be careful of saying that "the Gold medal is what is most important" on DCP and Crown forums. I think with the talent Crown has brought in for the last several years, they should have been in a place to win the Gold, but design staff and percussion techs has been an achilles heel for them. This corps now brings in tremendous talent year after year and has rarely been given a show that can compete for 1st beyond brass. Most of the musical selection was blah in 2010 and I have never been able to figure out what the show was about. The 2011 show was fun, but never had a chance. What a show, though, for a percussion line, writers, and techs to really perform. Nope! Percussion was terrible. Last year, they were beat in finals by the Madison Scouts. And, in some ways, the percussion was a good reason why Crown did not get a medal in 2012. In 2012, they ended up with an 18.8. Something in design and percussion needs to change if Crown is ever to be a consistent contender for the Gold. But, right now, Crown seems to have set its priorities on winning the Ott for the most part. But brass alone will not contend for titles. Right now, Crown's staff seems to have the mind set that a title every now and then is nice, but consistency is far from the their minds (except for Mr. Harloff).

Lol.

• Like 1