Open Class stigma

Seeing as the Open Class forum has about as much activity as Enron, I'm wondering what people here think about the sort of open class stigma that seems to exist in the drum corps world - particularly among younger marching band members looking to join DCI at some point.

When I ask folks about their favorite corps or where they'd like to audition similar names show up consistently: Phantom Regiment, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, and so on. While I understand that people want to join their dream corps there are many who get cut and do not march that season at all. As such, open class corps can often find difficulty in filling their ranks (let alone reaching the member limit). The same can apply to the "lower" world class corps. On top of that, high turnover rates often keep said corps from really climbing and finding a spotlight.

With that said, I'm wondering what people think about the open class stigma. Is it because DCI doesn't really market open class? Or do people view open class only as a stepping stone to other groups? Or is there no open class stigma at all? Tell me what you think!

Seeing as the Open Class forum has about as much activity as Enron, I'm wondering what people here think about the sort of open class stigma that seems to exist in the drum corps world - particularly among younger marching band members looking to join DCI at some point.

When I ask folks about their favorite corps or where they'd like to audition similar names show up consistently: Phantom Regiment, Cavaliers, Bluecoats, and so on. While I understand that people want to join their dream corps there are many who get cut and do not march that season at all. As such, open class corps can often find difficulty in filling their ranks (let alone reaching the member limit). The same can apply to the "lower" world class corps. On top of that, high turnover rates often keep said corps from really climbing and finding a spotlight.

With that said, I'm wondering what people think about the open class stigma. Is it because DCI doesn't really market open class? Or do people view open class only as a stepping stone to other groups? Or is there no open class stigma at all? Tell me what you think!

Any stigma is self inflicted by the individuals themselves.

If one has a really true passion to perform and an organization is structurally sound (no matter what class, country, or color of uniform)---they will seize the opportunity, no matter what corps.

Sitting on the sidelines experiencing life passing by rather than experiencing life itself--sounds like someone who doesn't have what it takes to be a part of the activity; it's akin to wanting to be a great actor---but skipping every life learning and craft learning process because in one's eyes, "it wasn't the right part".

Yes to one and two. I marched in Open Class, and the coverage was pretty much zero until championships. And a lot of kids see it only as a place to get some experience before moving up to World Class corps. To be honest, that's what I did. But it gave me the skills and education to be a successful musician outside of drum corps.

Yes to one and two. I marched in Open Class, and the coverage was pretty much zero until championships. And a lot of kids see it only as a place to get some experience before moving up to World Class corps. To be honest, that's what I did. But it gave me the skills and education to be a successful musician outside of drum corps.

Having marched an open class corps myself I can definitely agree that there's not much coverage. I certainly remember performing for empty stands quite a few times and comments from folks telling me to "march a real corps" both during the season and off season. It sure does make performing for crowds that much more special. It seems at any show with a world class corps more folks will want to watch them in the lot and then go to the stands instead of watching the open class group.

I'm sure people will pay attention as more corps make the jump from Open to World.

... and comments from folks telling me to "march a real corps" both during the season and off season. ...

I imagine that may also be a reason there is little traffic in the Open Class Forums - for those that never make it to a World Class corps, they probably feel their opinions, or the topics relating to Open Class, won't be valued so much, so they fly under the radar instead.

And as far as using Open as stepping stones to World, I read a recent online discussion where at least one of the Open Class corps members attacked those who leave the corps for World Class, which I thought was rather an immature comment to make. Until you are in Drum Corps, you cannot have a good idea what it will really be like in general, let alone specific to that corps, yet that person expects people to remain with their first corps (regardless of the reasons they chose it - proximity, $$$, heck even uniforms!) not just for the first season, or two or three, but for the person's entire corps career?

I imagine that may also be a reason there is little traffic in the Open Class Forums - for those that never make it to a World Class corps, they probably feel their opinions, or the topics relating to Open Class, won't be valued so much, so they fly under the radar instead.

I can see where you're coming from. Personally, I'd like to help build my corps to a world class level rather than join a world class corps. Most people who would not value the opinions of open class members likely haven't marched at all - having talked to members of Blue Stars, Phantom Regiment, and Cavaliers, there is a respect for corps at least among the members. Among aspiring members? Not so much.

Personally, I'd like to help build my corps to a world class level rather than join a world class corps.

While I understand that urge to see if you can make the existing structure better (I told my wife two nights ago that my next project is forming a Drum Corps - was I serious or not? hmmmm .....), I wonder how much the individual player can do. If the Corps is not on solid financial ground, or is not very-well organized (which costs valuable preparation time), or cannot attract and keep the top players or staff, then I'm not sure the players that stay have much ability to effect the necessary changes. Players can certainly raise their own level - but what if they do that and the rest of the Corps does not?

Edit: And please understand that I am not a Drum Corps insider, so forgive my ignorance when it arises. Wish I had marched DCI, but I can't go back in time. However, I have a good deal of experience with athletic clubs and organizations, and see the same issues there between lower, mid and upper level clubs, and what makes them and keeps them that way, and what makes players go to or leave them. There appear to be certain similarities with drum corps as to this issue.

Edited by Eleran

Open Class is not the only corps that have kids jump. Kids in World Class jump as well. Its just the nature of the Drum Corps food chain.

Now that ALL DCI corps are on the same sheets, why not make ALL corps World Class. Just because a corps doesn't do a full tour doesn't mean you will not get a great experience.

I know by working with some of the members of the OC corps I work with, that they were disenfranchised with the whole World Class atmosphere and how they were treated.

Not all corps operate the same and its just a matter of finding the right fit for these kids, if they choose to march anywhere besides the corps of their choice.

I get what you're saying but disagree with framing the difference as a stigma.

It's different. Many of the Open Class kids could march anywhere they wanted, but don't for a number of reasons. The noblest of these reasons is their devotion to their team, but there are many more practical reasons such as time, expense, etc.

On the other hand, taking one group with which I've had experience, 7th Regiment - kids there have been able to personally build the organization from the ground up. They haven't watched shows and/or videos and tried to figure out which WC corps looks like the best fit, they've made their own organization a great fit for themselves and others.

Similarly, many of the staff members at the OC level like it because of the opportunity to really "teach" rather than simply auditioning for talent.

Yes I know I've simplified both sides of the equation, but I've also lived on staffs on both sides of the equation and seen it first hand.

A stigma? I don't think so - they're doing it for different reasons - and I'm going to go way out on a limb here to guess that the amount of coverage they get on DCP is not one of the prime motivators for these young people.

Will some (a lot?) go on to World Class organizations? Undoubtedly. But in the meantime, for 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013... these kids created an atmosphere, an environment, and began to craft their own "legend" - sort of the same way that Carolina Crown did back in the Div II/III days.

Their memories of the OC days will differ, for sure, but I doubt they will feel stigmatized for their efforts. They may in fact spend time with the friends they've made forever and laugh about someone on DCP calling them stigmatized.

• Like 2

I know by working with some of the members of the OC corps I work with, that they were disenfranchised with the whole World Class atmosphere and how they were treated.

Not all corps operate the same and its just a matter of finding the right fit for these kids,

Too bad there isn't a "Frommers Drum Corps" to give prospective players a better idea of what distinguishes various corps from one another, on a "real life" level, not so much on the performance level, which can be viewed from the outside. It's such a big commitment of time, and you can't really sample multiple corps very well given their simultaneous camps all across the country, and you only have a limited number of seasons to play. And of course I'm sure everyone finds different positives and negatives in each corps, or perhaps there aren't significant differences between most - I wish I knew!

Luckily, we are happy so far this season.

Edited by Eleran