Why won't DCI follow this type of path?

This leads me to a corollary question I have: Do top corps look at auditions purely as recruitment efforts, or as money makers?

Because if kids (especially younger players) are encouraged to come to a top corps audition then get there and realize that they have no chance in hell of being taken, that will leave an even more sour taste in their mouths as they begin to think that they were only encouraged to go in order to give the corps their dough.

Personally I have had kids that knew they had no chance of making a cops but went for the experience. I have seen kids cut 1st day and ask if they could come back for the experience. Is it a money maker? sure, mostly for many just covering that weekends expenses BUT audition means just that,AUDITION, In an audition there aren't any guarantees . I have seen some who come to auditions clearly not going to make the cut but usually those people know it, although disappointing i'm sure. Sometimes and I said it in a posting I deleted, SOMETIMES the person sending them ( band director , etc.) has a different view of what is good or not or what a corps is looking for or the talent level coming in , which IMO doesn't help the person auditioning. I have sent members I have had in winter programs to places where I thought they would fit in and what would be best for them , even if it wasn't a place I was teaching but I sent them in with support but a realistic view.

• Son play$ club volleyball Sept-Feb. - he might give that up next year to spend more time with music (DCI OC, marching band, regular band, jazz ensemble, wants to start up a SoundSport group ...)
  • Daughter #1 play$ academy soccer, club volleyball and catholic league basketball (will probably eliminate latter sport or two next year)
  • Daughter #2 doe$ repertory ballet, pre-competitive club volleyball

Mom & Dad are wondering how to pay for retirement, but enjoying every minute of it.

• Like 1

• Son play$ club volleyball Sept-Feb. - he might give that up next year to spend more time with music (DCI OC, marching band, regular band, jazz ensemble, wants to start up a SoundSport group ...)
  • Daughter #1 play$ academy soccer, club volleyball and catholic league basketball (will probably eliminate latter sport or two next year)
  • Daughter #2 doe$ repertory ballet, pre-competitive club volleyball

Mom & Dad are wondering how to pay for retirement, but enjoying every minute of it.

wow! choices sometimes although hard aren't bad for a kid to learn. we all make them don't we.....lol

I know last year Cadets2 had a minimum age of 15, and now their website says its for players aged 16-25, so I think they've trending older than high school kids now. And they still cost $1,400 plus camp fees, even though they don't tour.

I know they fill in with older members as needed, but as they are not a touring corps, the geographic location limit is what it is. Even their first year they had a few older members, esp at the end of the year prior to DCA champs. I guess they are setting their age span on what actually happens.

$1400. may seem like alot, and for many it is but look at winter guard and some percussion programs.,some are that and alot more. I have a relative that spends way more than that for dance classes for their kids and is buying costumes every time they turn around.

and when you look at other DCA corps, not all of them bus or feed every meal to the corps, so in many ways, the cost ends up the same, it's just the difference if the members pay it to the corps or other places

I don't think corps staff go out of their way to promote their corps as the be-all-end-all... I just think that, as in my experience, the aims/goals of the corps itself on that particular weekend take precedence over thinking about the activity at large. I'm sure if DCI asked corps to make it a priority to get all those kids who auditioned into other corps, I don't think there'd be too much backlash. It would be as simple as DCI putting together an information packet that corps hand out to kids who don't make the cut. Then the kid and their parents are informed and steered in a positive direction, and the decision is then on them.